2015 JK willys edition soft top question

Jmjnewbold

I've had my jeep for about a year and a half now and since moving to Colorado I have noticed some excessive wind noise has developed on the passenger side near the A-pillar. At first I thought it was just wind noise. However, I drove the same road where I notice the wind noise in both directions so the wind would come across the jeep on both the passenger and driver's side. Each time I only hear noise on the passenger side. I had the wife pay extra attention one day and she too noticed the passenger side has more wind noise and see was sitting in the passenger seat. :thinking: Has anyone experienced this before? I did a search and nothing popped up. I'm at a loss, and have checked to make sure everything looks in it's proper place as far as the top is concerned. I have a stock soft top, not the twill best-top upgrade. Thanks for the help!

WJCO

Meme King
I've had my jeep for about a year and a half now and since moving to Colorado I have noticed some excessive wind noise has developed on the passenger side near the A-pillar. At first I thought it was just wind noise. However, I drove the same road where I notice the wind noise in both directions so the wind would come across the jeep on both the passenger and driver's side. Each time I only hear noise on the passenger side. I had the wife pay extra attention one day and she too noticed the passenger side has more wind noise and see was sitting in the passenger seat. :thinking: Has anyone experienced this before? I did a search and nothing popped up. I'm at a loss, and have checked to make sure everything looks in it's proper place as far as the top is concerned. I have a stock soft top, not the twill best-top upgrade. Thanks for the help!

Wind noise like a leak? Or wind noise like wind catching on an object and creating the noise? Mirrors do some weird stuff if it's the latter. You can sometimes put your hand out the window and cover parts of the mirror to make the noise go away then later fix it with tape or the like.

TLife

I have a similar passenger side wind noise. I can't tell (or haven't put in the effort yet) if it's air penetrating the vehicle or just making noise going over the mirror. The noise exists with both my hardtop and TrekTop NX twill and has been there since day 1.

Jegar

Same here .... From day 1. Mine varies in intensity, and is sometimes barely discernible and other times quite annoying -- when I first got my Jeep, it was much worse. My 2015 JK Willys came with a hard top, and I negotiated a soft top removed from another Jeep by the dealer. I believe mine is a premium soft top. However, it either was used or sat in the outdoors and heat quite a bit, and had quite a few issues. I took it to a custom interior shop and had the roof straps that run across the top of the hardware replaced and adjusted -- they had developed some sag, worse on the right, causing the soft top to shift slightly. After the strap adjustments and working/stretching the fabric of the soft top towards the front passenger corner, the wind noise decreased dramatically (but has not totally resolved).

Jmjnewbold

Wind noise like a leak? Or wind noise like wind catching on an object and creating the noise? Mirrors do some weird stuff if it's the latter. You can sometimes put your hand out the window and cover parts of the mirror to make the noise go away then later fix it with tape or the like.

Not a leak like water is getting into the jeep. My wife has felt around on the passenger side and can't seem to feel air coming in. I'll have to have her mess around with the mirror and see if things change.

Jmjnewbold

Same here .... From day 1. Mine varies in intensity, and is sometimes barely discernible and other times quite annoying -- when I first got my Jeep, it was much worse. My 2015 JK Willys came with a hard top, and I negotiated a soft top removed from another Jeep by the dealer. I believe mine is a premium soft top. However, it either was used or sat in the outdoors and heat quite a bit, and had quite a few issues. I took it to a custom interior shop and had the roof straps that run across the top of the hardware replaced and adjusted -- they had developed some sag, worse on the right, causing the soft top to shift slightly. After the strap adjustments and working/stretching the fabric of the soft top towards the front passenger corner, the wind noise decreased dramatically (but has not totally resolved).

Wow, that sounds like a major PITA. Do you have any photos of where the roof straps developed sag? I would like to cross reference them to my top and see if I am having a similar issue.

Jegar

Wow, that sounds like a major PITA. Do you have any photos of where the roof straps developed sag? I would like to cross reference them to my top and see if I am having a similar issue.

Oh, trust me, I had moved from "major PITA" to much more colorful and violent terms!!! I didn't take any photos at the time, but I'll look at the Jeep tomorrow, and see if I can get any shots that would clarify better.

I can tell you that it wasn't until the interior shop pulled off the soft top, that slight sag in the straps became obvious -- notably worse on the right. According to them, the stock straps stretch and sag commonly. They replaced the straps with the same strap material that they use to make their seat belts.

I can also add, that I still had to do some extra adjustments by warming the top in the sun, climbing up on the rock rails and progressively pulling/pushing/manipulating the fabric forward and outwards towards the passenger A pilar to reduce the tiny gap contributing to my wind noise. I also have a tendency to not properly position the plastic sleeve on the front portion of the top hardware, being more difficult on the passenger side, and this also would add to the gap.

Top Bottom