Roll-up side panel mod for the factory soft top

jscherb

It's hard to find a good place place inside the Jeep to store the soft top side panels when they're removed, so to solve that problem I modified a factory side panel to roll up - rather than removing/storing them, I figured if they were converted to roll-ups I could have open sides without the storage problem. Here are a few photos of the modified panels...

Rolled up:

FactoryRollUp1_zps5jwqoemq.jpg

Rolled down/zipped:

FactoryRollUp4_zpsgqckeg7i.jpg

The mod makes it really quick to access any cargo inside...

It makes for nice access to the ammo can trays I've got mounted over the inner fenders:

FactoryRollUp2_zpswiavdxrh.jpg

I sewed this one as a test using a old, scratched panel, next I'll have to sew a pair starting with sme nice panels.

Jmjnewbold

That's pretty awesome!!:shock::thumb: I was really hoping I could do something similar, but I don't think that will work on a 2 door though because of the hard plastic channel that runs down the b-pillar. Awesome creativity though!!

sipafz

Caught the Bug

Nice! You must of had a donor for the extra material that was needed on the front side?

sipafz

Caught the Bug
That's pretty awesome!!:shock::thumb: I was really hoping I could do something similar, but I don't think that will work on a 2 door though because of the hard plastic channel that runs down the b-pillar. Awesome creativity though!!

It's the same on the 4d. Must of cut and added material/zipper.

jscherb

Here's how it's done. This mod will work on either the 2dr or the 4dr soft tops (and the TJ or LJ soft tops too).

Step 1 is to cut the window panel to insert a zipper. It's cut on the yellow lines in the photo below; a section that's the width of the zipper teeth is removed for most of the height of the panel except at the bottom.

ZipperCut_zpsnuujxly4.jpg

Step 2 is to sew the zipper in place. Also restitch the ends of the plastic retainer strip at the bottom of the panel to keep the original stitching from unraveling after the panel was cut.

RollUpZipper1_zpsp4qzpoh5.jpg

Since zippers aren't waterproof, step 3 is to sew a flap over the zipper area; it's stitched on the front edge and secured with velcro on the back edge, completely covering the zipper. The flap is made from a scrap of factory soft top fabric, salvaged from a damaged soft top I found cheap on Craigslist.

RollUp3_zpsedmsnmib.jpg

Step 4 is to install snaps and make up straps to hold the rolled-up window in place. This photo is looking at the inside of the panel. Snaps are installed on both the inside and the outside of the panel; the inside snaps are used to hold the straps, and the other edge of the straps go into the outside snaps after going around the rolled-up window. In this photo one strap is snapped in place and the other is unattached.

JKURollUpSide4_zpstooiimsi.jpg

RollUpZipper2_zpscryx8md2.jpg

There are a few more minor details, mostly obvious things that have to do with the way things need to be sewed and should be obvious to anyone who has enough sewing experience to do this.

BTW the windows now also roll up nicely for storage when they're off the Jeep, something the factory windows can't do. This next pair of photos shows one rolled up, and the second of the two photos shows it in a small storage bag I also sewed.

JKURollUpSide5_zpsxgnqjboj.jpg

It's really a pretty simple sewing project if you've got a little sewing experience and a sewing machine capable of sewing through soft top fabric.

jscherb

This definitely will work on the 2dr.

Top Bottom