Driveshaft yoke question

JKbrick

I went to the JK write up section and looked through all of them and didn't see the write up for how to put the new yokes on the transfer case. Any help would be appreciated.

Mark

Evil

Put it in 4 low, get a breaker bar and a socket and take it off. installation is same, put whatever sealant on or however the manufacturer recommends and torque the nut back on to their specs.

Last edited:

Evil

Then just use the same nut or lock tite?

A drop of Red locktite on the nut that holds the yoke on and they do recommend locktite on the bolts that hols the shaft to the yoke. If the yoke did not come with a new nut then use your factory one.

Last edited:

DMF

Use RTV on the nut. Adams drive shaft had a good write up on replacing the yoke.

JeepFan

Hooked
Does the factory use RTV or loctite? The nut is a Crownlock Flange Torque Nut and does not require loctite. Also, there is a big O ring that goes on the end of the output shaft to prevent oil from leaking around the splines and yoke. The factory service manual recommends replacing the nut but, most people do not. I recently had my rear drive shaft rebalanced with the yoke. I used a new nut and NO LOCTITE OR RTV. No leaks and no issues. :D

I guess if you never want to take it off again, do it... :thinking:

JKbrick

what shaft did you get that your changing the yokes?

I bought a used Coast from nmwranglerx that came with new yokes and need to change the ones on the transfer case. I bought a used rear one from Arizona that doesn't have yokes so will get those when I get that shaft. I just ordered a flange for the front to bolt to the diff but the back may not work like that. Sounds like I can reuse the nut, maybe I'll just get new o rings
Edit: replace the nut

Top Bottom