35s and 37s on stock carrier...

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
Ok so I know some of you have your 35s on your stock carrier and have maybe put a hose around the tire bump or even bought an extension from daystar. But does anyone have a 37 on a stock carrier? I know it's not really ideal to put that much weight on the tail gate but is it doable? Would love to see some pics of 35s and 37s with the hose bump mod. I may be doing this for now until I buy a tire carrier. I have 35s on my jeep now. Also I know the extended tire bump will make the tire not rattle as much but won't the tail gate still sag when the gate is opened? I did notice on my tail gate that one of the pinch welds cracked a little idk when it happened and the previous tire I had on was a 32. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow.

Last edited:

MSmitty

Not even considering the weight, which I wouldn't put that much weight on the stock carrier, I don't know if you could get it over the bumper... I know when I had a 35 on my 13 for a while, I had to sort of lift the bottom of the tailgate up a little just to get the tire up enough so the door would close. Maybe someone with that setup will chime in.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
The only Jeep I know of that has had a 37 on the stock tire carrier for over 60K miles is the EVOlander JKU by ORE. When they added their pro series bumper to the build they showed that they welded an extra tab on the bumper to support the bottom of the tire when the tailgate was shut. Their IG has never indicated that there have been any problems with sagging while the tailgate was opened.

Personally, I don't recommend it. There are a few options out there for body mounted tire carriers like Crawler Conceptz and Maximus that sort of keep the factory look without breaking the bank.

Judesign

Caught the Bug
Yeah it's the size. My 35s baaaarely cleared the bumper. Can't imagine a 37 fitting without mods. And the weight will get to the tailgate eventually.

MattMc

I recently hoisted my spare (37) onto the stock carrier. It cleared the bumper, but I have the Hard Rock/10A bumper. I considered leaving it on there, but wasn't confident in it, since I don't have bumpstops extensions. I also don't have any way of preventing it from being stolen. So, I laid it down in the back for the Windrock trip this weekend. Not ideal. I'm looking into a better tire carrier.

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
Yeah trust me it's not what I really want to do with all that weight. I looked into all kinds of tire carriers. I'm really liking the body mounted carriers in wanting to get rid of my bumpers now and switch to the Evo 1/4 pounder and rear fascia. For the carrier I was looking at genright and PS I really like those carriers. But not wanting to pull the plug yet.

20jk08

Re:

I'm using a 1" wheel spacer on the stock tire carrier, with the tire sitting on a 4" drop trailer hitch with a plate welded on it, inserted upside down for a tight fit. I have a 37" BFG KM2 on mine.
Personally, I prefer not to have to open a tire carrier, then a door to get into the hatch when in a precarious position, and would rather not spend the funds on a door mounted tire carrier,,,
No problems yet with the hinge,,,we see..
20160513_101937.jpg

Last edited:

GraniteCrystal

I'm using a 1" wheel spacer on the stock tire carrier, with the tire sitting on a 4" drop trailer hitch with a plate welded on it, inserted upside down for a tight fit. I have a 37" BFG KM2 on mine.
Personally, I prefer not to have to open a tire carrier, then a door to get into the hatch when in a precarious position, and would rather not spend the funds on a door mounted tire carrier,,,
View attachment 203106

What bumper is that? 10A?

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
No problems yet with the hinge,,,we see..
View attachment 203106

Yeah that's not a bad idea but when you open it you still have the stress on the tail gate but I really like what you did.

xflstl

My girlfriends jku has a 37" mtr/k on the stock carrier. However this only works because it has a 1 1/4" body lift... The bottom of the tire just barely rests on the bumper, which is so snug it is actually helping support the tire.
I put a hitch in the receiver when we go wheeling which protects the tire from getting hit from underneath.
While this is far from an ideal setup, it works for the time being until we get around to upgrading it.

rogerk93

I have 37's just using the teraflex hinges and stock carrier it rest against the tailgate nicely I removed my rear bumper to make it work and going to add the evo frame shackles

Ok so I know some of you have your 35s on your stock carrier and have maybe put a hose around the tire bump or even bought an extension from daystar. But does anyone have a 37 on a stock carrier? I know it's not really ideal to put that much weight on the tail gate but is it doable? Would love to see some pics of 35s and 37s with the hose bump mod. I may be doing this for now until I buy a tire carrier. I have 35s on my jeep now. Also I know the extended tire bump will make the tire not rattle as much but won't the tail gate still sag when the gate is opened? I did notice on my tail gate that one of the pinch welds cracked a little idk when it happened and the previous tire I had on was a 32. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow.

I am. Been running it since November.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1461101968.243310.jpg

Running a 1.5" spacer to bring it up and out - it was difficult to get to the handle on the tailgate without it.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1449326611.752089.jpg

Used flexible coupling from HD that slipped right over the stock isolators. Added a cap on the end for a little extra length to get them as firm as I could.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1449326642.233648.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1449326685.071319.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1449326672.552007.jpg

bouche03

If you have ever seen a tailgate after carrying a 35" or larger tire for an extended period and witnessed the spot welds all pulling out, you would heed the warnings about doing this long term and find a solution, especially if the Jeep gets off-road.

WJCO

Meme King
I think a lot of guys here have run a setup like this with a 35 with no issues. :idontknow:

Last edited:

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
I have a few spot weld that broke apart on my Tailgate and I was only carrying a 33 haha when I get home on Wednesday I'll post up some pics

rogerk93

37's no rattle and haven't had an issue tailgate is solid.

Attachments

• 1463432561951.jpg
    1463432561951.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 96
  • 1463432582201.jpg
    1463432582201.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 93
  • 1463432599721.jpg
    1463432599721.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 87
Top Bottom