Transmission issue question

bowtech50

Hoping someone in the know can help me help a friend. She has a 2012 JKU Sahara with only 30000 miles on it. Yesterday she was driving to work and the Jeep went up in a ball of smoke and quit moving. She has it towed to a dealer and was told that one of the lines from the trans to the cooler blew. They repaired it????? 4 new lines and $350 bucks later and back on the road. They also told her that her Jeep was a Canadian Jeep and had no warranty here. I was with her when she purchased it last month, and there was no disclosure on that issue? So today and only 60 miles later it did the same thing again. So my question is what could be causing the lines to blow. She is dealing with the purchasing dealer and is either going to ask for a refund or an aftermarket bumper to bumper warranty and pray they do something. The Jeep has the 3:21 gears and 35" tires if that helps. I was hoping someone on here might chime in with what would cause this? Thanks.

rogerk93

I have no idea what that can be. But if she bought it from the dealership you took it too they should have told her about the disclosure. I would question the dealership in the sense. Very curious on what can cause a trans line to blow twice.

TennJK

This exact thing happened to me last month and I took it to a 4wd center in town. They did a great job in fixing mine and said it was a plastic fitting that blew, rather than the hose. If they claimed that it was fixed then I would take it back to them and let them know that they didnt fix it. I wouldnt pay them to fix it again though if they never fully fixed it

jeeeep

Hooked
Hoping someone in the know can help me help a friend. She has a 2012 JKU Sahara with only 30000 miles on it. Yesterday she was driving to work and the Jeep went up in a ball of smoke and quit moving. She has it towed to a dealer and was told that one of the lines from the trans to the cooler blew. They repaired it????? 4 new lines and $350 bucks later and back on the road. They also told her that her Jeep was a Canadian Jeep and had no warranty here. I was with her when she purchased it last month, and there was no disclosure on that issue? So today and only 60 miles later it did the same thing again. So my question is what could be causing the lines to blow. She is dealing with the purchasing dealer and is either going to ask for a refund or an aftermarket bumper to bumper warranty and pray they do something. The Jeep has the 3:21 gears and 35" tires if that helps. I was hoping someone on here might chime in with what would cause this? Thanks.

she bought a Canadian Jeep in the USA? I'd say she has something the state AG would be interested in if they don't help her out for free and give her a full US warranty. I'd take it back to the original place of purchase and have them take it back since it sounds like it'll probably never be eligible for any US warranty work.

FYI don't want to alarm you but you are aware the 2012's had head issues that have to be repaired - it's covered under US warranty and they also have the worst mechanical issues that are often covered under warranty. they seem to have sorted them out beginning with the 2013+ models.

Don't understand why they replaced 4 lines, that tells me they have no idea what the issue was and why it did it again. the transmission cooler has a jumper to bridge from the main lines to the factory cooler lines so there are 4 lines in total. they are held by quick disconnects and outer spring c-clip style clips that have to be fitted properly so they fully seat and hold the line in place. Then they are held in place by a plastic outer cover. if the clips are not seated the plastic cover will not seat properly and it can all work loose especially if it's on the high pressure side.

Good luck, hope she gets it sorted out

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug

Call the Jeep customer service number. They can transfer it from Canadian warranty to US warranty but you have to call to have them do it, it's not something automatic. The dealer should have told you this when you bought it. Happens quite a bit around here being on major border.

jeeeep

Hooked
Call the Jeep customer service number. They can transfer it from Canadian warranty to US warranty but you have to call to have them do it, it's not something automatic. The dealer should have told you this when you bought it. Happens quite a bit around here being on major border.

Good to know about the warranty transfer

curious if the speedometer/odometer is in kilometers instead of miles. meaning is the primary outer marks Kilometer and the inner miles reverse of what we have.

Do you know if they can run on E85?

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
Good to know about the warranty transfer

curious if the speedometer/odometer is in kilometers instead of miles. meaning is the primary outer marks Kilometer and the inner miles reverse of what we have.

Do you know if they can run on E85?

No e85 on jk

bowtech50

I just wanted to say thanks for those of you that replied to this thread. I was able to let her read through this and it let her see there might be a light at the end of the tunnel. It sounds like the transmission deal may be fixable, and the Canadian warranty thing might be the sticker. I hope they can get it worked out for her or give her a refund and she can look for a different Jeep.

Top Bottom