AC discharge line leak

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
So l was driving down the road today and all of a sudden smoke started to come from my engine bay. I pulled over and popped the hood to find the AC discharge line has a hole in it, spewing some liquid everywhere. Has this happen to anyone else and is it something I can fix on my own?
Here's a pic
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1463248086.777312.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
The proper way is to have a shop evac and recharge. I've had good luck with those DIY cans from auto parts stores. The gauges on the can aren't worth a shit, but you can at least feel your vent temp when the AC feels cold.

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
The proper way is to have a shop evac and recharge. I've had good luck with those DIY cans from auto parts stores. The gauges on the can aren't worth a shit, but you can at least feel your vent temp when the AC feels cold.

I do plan on a shop doing the recharge. I'm more concerned with fixing the damaged discharge line. I've researched the part online and it goes for around $50. Has anyone replaced this part?

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
I do plan on a shop doing the recharge. I'm more concerned with fixing the damaged discharge line. I've researched the part online and it goes for around $50. Has anyone replaced this part?

I'm a little shocked no one has experienced this problem. Where's all the backyard mechanics?

JeepJeep75

First post I have seen dealing with a busted AC line. Have you been able to figure out what caused it to blow?

WJCO

Meme King
Are those two lines rubbing together? Is that what caused it to blow? If so, just make sure you route the new one properly so that doesn't happen.

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
First post I have seen dealing with a busted AC line. Have you been able to figure out what caused it to blow?

Not really sure, it looks like it was slightly rubbing against something which eventually caused a hole. I'm sure I can fix the line, but I'm worried about getting contaminates in the AC system. I also don't feel like dropping a few hundred bucks at a shop either.

WJCO

Meme King
Not really sure, it looks like it was slightly rubbing against something which eventually caused a hole. I'm sure I can fix the line, but I'm worried about getting contaminates in the AC system. I also don't feel like dropping a few hundred bucks at a shop either.

Clean off the connections of the old line with brake clean. Then put the new line on quickly. Although the right way is to evac and recharge, you'll most likely have good luck charging it yourself. The worst that could happen is if moisture (from the air) does get in there to a point of causing an issue, you can still go to a shop and just pay for a evac and recharge.

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
Clean off the connections of the old line with brake clean. Then put the new line on quickly. Although the right way is to evac and recharge, you'll most likely have good luck charging it yourself. The worst that could happen is if moisture (from the air) does get in there to a point of causing an issue, you can still go to a shop and just pay for a evac and recharge.

That's my plan. I'm not going to mess with recharging it. I'll leave that to the professionals. Maybe I'll document the work and post it up. Could possibly come in handy for someone.

Top Bottom