Cj7 iron duke. No spark.

Cj7tony

Hello I am new to the forum just bought an 81 cj7 151 cu in. with 76000 original miles. It has been sitting for 10 years. I have gone through the motor and replaced everything that needed it. I thought I had it ready to start but no spark. I have replaced the distributor, coil cap and rotor, plugs and wires. I am getting a little over 12 volts to the distributor when the ignition is on and it is grounded . I am pretty mechanically inclined but I am stumped and quite honestly frustrated any suggestions ?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to WAYALIFE, it's good to have you here. I used to have a 81 CJ7 but with a 258 and regret selling it. Regarding your issue, you kind of sound like you're having a similar problem to what I was just having on my Jeepster Commando. Are you sure you have TDC set on compression? Turned out that my distributor was clocked 180° and #1 was set TDC on exhaust.

Cj7tony

Yes I brought it up to tdc and when I stabbed the distributor the rotor was pointed at no. 1 spark terminal. Also I forgot to mention once I installed the new dist. I put the old coil back in and after trying to start it ,it melted the coil

Ddays

Hooked
Hello I am new to the forum just bought an 81 cj7 151 cu in. with 76000 original miles. It has been sitting for 10 years. I have gone through the motor and replaced everything that needed it. I thought I had it ready to start but no spark. I have replaced the distributor, coil cap and rotor, plugs and wires. I am getting a little over 12 volts to the distributor when the ignition is on and it is grounded . I am pretty mechanically inclined but I am stumped and quite honestly frustrated any suggestions ?

Distributors, points and condensers? WHAAAT? :crazyeyes:

Ran through same scenario with my old Ford 8N tractor last year and what Eddie said is exactly what I did....dist was 180 deg out.
Was ready to push the damn thing over the hill

Ooops. Disregard..you replied before I had chance to reply.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You're motor will hit TDC twice, once on compression and once on exhaust. Have someone help you out by putting their finger in the #1 spark plug hole while you manually rotate the crankshaft. They should feel pressure as you come up to the correct TDC.

Cj7tony

This is all my voltage readings. Battery -12.6v
Key on at dist+ 10.8v
Dist- 2.5v
While staring
Dist+7.5v
Dist-1.5v

Cj7tony

This is the rotor at tdc on compression stroke so I must have put it in backwards. I'm gonna try to do it this evening and i will keep yall updated

Attachments

• 1463254615424.jpg
    1463254615424.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

Cj7tony

BTW this is my jeep the last pic is how it was when i got it

Attachments

• 1463254701696.jpg
    1463254701696.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 1463254718278.jpg
    1463254718278.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 1463254768218.jpg
    1463254768218.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 52

Cj7tony

Ok so I re stabbed the distributor. I'm guessing it was 180 degrees there is no notch on the oil pump for the shaft to slide in, but anyways still no spark and the coil keeps getting hotter the longer u try to start it

WJCO

Meme King
Did engine start at all prior to new distributor? And no spark at #1 or no spark from coil at all?

Cj7tony

No it had no spark when I bought it and hasn't been started in 10 years . The owner said it ran when it was parked. How would u check spark on the coil

WJCO

Meme King
No it had no spark when I bought it and hasn't been started in 10 years . The owner said it ran when it was parked. How would u check spark on the coil

Run a jumper wire from the coil secondary tower and hook the other end somewhere near ground but leave a .030 gap or so. Then crank the engine and see if you have spark. I would also ensure all fuses are good.

WJCO

Meme King
Post some pics of the ignition coil. You said earlier that your coil melted. Are you talking about the pickup coil inside the distributor or the ignition coil outside the distributor? Two different components.

Top Bottom