Bilstein shock install help!

MSmitty

I installed the AEV 2.5 lift all day yesterday and finished everything except the front shocks. After three hours of fighting them, there just isn't enough thread on the top to bolt it down. It barely lines up with the top hole on both sides. How in the world do you tighten them down with basically zero thread on top? I can't even put the top washer/rubber bushing on the top. There would be no way. What am I doing wrong?

MSmitty

I can try. The shock is in there but no thread at the top. I lowered it all back down and buy the tire on hoping that enough pressure would allow the threads to move up a bit but no luck.. I'll go take some pictures.

MSmitty

Here is the top of the passenger side. This is without even the washer on top. Maybe one thread stocking through the top.

Attachments

• 1463324119528.jpg
    1463324119528.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 143
  • 1463324147274.jpg
    1463324147274.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 143

Red_rox_jk

Here is the top of the passenger side. This is without even the washer on top. Maybe one thread stocking through the top.

What's going on under the shoulder washer in that top picture? It looks like a bushing is doubled up or something.

deadguy

It should go in order: shock bushing cup, bushing, shock mount, bushing ,washer, nut. You should have a bushing on each side of the shock mount from the frame of the truck

MSmitty

What's going on under the shoulder washer in that top picture? It looks like a bushing is doubled up or something.

That's how the directions say to do it but even with all of that out it doesn't add any length to the shock. I've tried it both ways. Does the shock maybe expand more than I have it? I remember my old ranchos from a different Jeep twisted and expanded. I just don't think these did.

JKbrick

The order of pieces would be a metal washer then a rubber piece, put shock through hole in frame, rubber piece then metal washer then nut

MSmitty

Here is the pic from the AEV directions. Like I said, I also took all of that off and stuck it through the hold without any of it and it's still the same lenght. It doesn't give me any more thread.

Red_rox_jk

Like dead said. That top bushing and larger washer belong on the top side of the shock tower. Not inside of it.

A few things to check. Make sure the dust boot is in the right place. Secondly, make sure the bushing in the fender (not engine bay side) is seating correctly in the shock tower.

Red_rox_jk

The bottom half of diagram B should be on the bottom side of the shock tower. Top top half of the diagram should be on the top side of the shock tower.

MSmitty

OK I totally see what you guys are saying but if I remove ALL of it and just stick it through the hole it doesn't add any length to the shock threads. I still wouldn't be able to get a nut on the top end. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong but the shock just seems too short. The OEM shock threads stuck through the hole a good inch or more. This is barely a mm.

MSmitty

Now I'm wondering if o didn't release the pressure on them enough to expand them all the way.... It's possible since it was 3am after 12 hours installing.

Red_rox_jk

If that is truly the case. Then my best guess would be that AEV sent the wrong application shock (if the shock is wrong, then the bushing likely is too). For piece of mind. I would try fitting the bushings with the shock threads completely out of the way. Just my $0.02.

Red_rox_jk

Don't read this as being patronizing or anything. Just running this all thru my mind. On the off chance, is the frame jacked up or on Jack stands?

MSmitty

Don't read this as being patronizing or anything. Just running this all thru my mind. On the off chance, is the frame jacked up or on Jack stands?

Hey I'll take any help I can get. It was when we were trying in the beginning but at the end we lowered it all the way back down and even mounted the tire. Its still too short. There is a built on washer at the top of the shock that won't let any more thread through anyway. I'm am super confused...

Top Bottom