fitting a 35x12.5 nitto trail grappler with no lift or 2 inch on sport unlimited

lesterjanpearson

Is it possible to fit a 35x12.5 nitto trail with a 20x12 -44 wheels on a stock or 2 inch lift?

Anyone with this setup?

Sorry forgot the mention, its only for daily driving.

Last edited:

Napalm

Welcome to WAL. It is possible to run a 35 inch tire with no lift. It is not practical. You will need to chop your fenders and you'll most likely still rub off raid. It's doable but not recommend. It's much more practical on a leveling kit, a 2 inch lift, or a 2.5 inch lift.

Also, I wouldn't recommend a 20 inch wheel with a 35 inch tire. You aren't going to have much sidewall with that combo and could end up damaging your wheels on the trail. I'd recommend a 17. But, that's just my opinion. :)

dunstan74

I run 1.5" spacers flat fenders and 35" trail grappler on my fourdoor and it works well for me.
Breakover angle is the only thing im not happy with but its not the end of the world getting a tug over an obstacle or two.

NV375

This was my JKUR with 35" TGs on 17" wheels and the Rancho 2" sport suspension.

Attachments

• 1463400817109.jpg
    1463400817109.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 183

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Sorry forgot the mention, its only for daily driving.

Even for daily driving, I would do trimmed fenders and a leveling kit at a minimum. This will get enough space between your tires and fenders so you don't hit them going over bumps and such on the road. I ran a 33" tire with no lift and no trimmed fenders and knocked my front fender off hitting a bump pulling into work. Yeah, pretty damn embarrassing!
If you do not want to trim your fenders, you could do a 2.5" spacer lift and still avoid being over the mark that would require you to need things like a drive shaft, front lower control arms, steering corrections, etc.
Also, if you are going to run a 35" tire, I would highly recommend gusseting the C's on your axle, as they are prone to bending with a larger tire. It's just smart and cheap insurance, as they cost around 60 bucks plus welding.
Again, I understand this is or daily driving only, but your suspension an still flex enough on the road to make contact. As mentioned, it happened to me on 33s. In my opinion, leveling kit, trim your fenders for clearance and a customized look, C gussets and enjoy! I will likely be going this route on my current build to retain the softer factory ride. Good luck and let us know what you end up doing!

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I run 1.5" spacers flat fenders and 35" trail grappler on my fourdoor and it works well for me.
Breakover angle is the only thing im not happy with but its not the end of the world getting a tug over an obstacle or two.

Any pics?

This was my JKUR with 35" TGs on 17" wheels and the Rancho 2" sport suspension.

That looks great! I may end up going this route after a few months, as I like that I can get the kit with the 9000 shocks and pretty much get the springs and spacers for free at the price the kit costs. Would you say the ride is softer or stiffer compared to the ride from factory?

dunstan74

Yeah here's a couple

Attachments

• 1463403581975.jpg
    1463403581975.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 161
  • 1463403620371.jpg
    1463403620371.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 175

NV375

That looks great! I may end up going this route after a few months, as I like that I can get the kit with the 9000 shocks and pretty much get the springs and spacers for free at the price the kit costs. Would you say the ride is softer or stiffer compared to the ride from factory?
Softer ride compared to stock Rubicon. If I were to do it again I would order the Rancho 2" suspension for a 2 door 1" taller rear spacers and add some 1" bump spacers to the rear. I was shopping for shocks when I came across the suspension with shocks for about $80 more. Both my wife and my dad (back problems) preferred the ride with the Rancho suspension compared to stock.

Last edited:

lesterjanpearson

Thanks for the input guys, I would probably look at a 2"-2.5" lift then, just to be safe. I just didn't want it to be too high.

but I'm getting the powersteps to help with it.

Do you know if these 2" lift kits are leveled or is the front lower than the back?

el_chupo_

I have the 2" Rancho sport as well(but I have a heavy rear bumper and hard top, where NV375 is running no bumper and a soft top), and I am sagging a bit in the rear. Thinking about a 1.5" coil spacer, or maybe trying to find some 1.5" coils to replace the .75 spacer.

NV375

I have the 2" Rancho sport as well(but I have a heavy rear bumper and hard top, where NV375 is running no bumper and a soft top), and I am sagging a bit in the rear. Thinking about a 1.5" coil spacer, or maybe trying to find some 1.5" coils to replace the .75 spacer.

The Rancho had a great ride empty but the stock rear coil springs did compress quick under load like tools, spare parts, a cooler and back seat passengers.

el_chupo_

The Rancho had a great ride empty but the stock rear coil springs did compress quick under load like tools, spare parts, a cooler and back seat passengers.

Yeah, I figure Ive got ~150lbs or so over you, and adding more really drops it down. But the ride is good, which is why I am thinking of spacer, instead of stiffer coils.

I think jeep makes one "stiffer" coil than mine (IIRC, I have "59" coils), but I'm thinking about just sticking with the cheapest route until I move up to 37s and an extra inch or so before spending money on coils.

Top Bottom