Steering wheel goes crazy

raildog13

Anyone have any idea what may cause the steering wheel to go crazy when breaking at or around 40mph from a faster speed? Just started doing this not sure what the cause is any and all info would be great. Once speed is below 40mph its fine and above 40 its fine, and its only the steering wheel, not the entire Jeep, so the " Death Wabble " can be ruled out ( I think?)?????:thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::doh:

GCM 2

Well, it actually still sounds like death wobble. Here is a photo that has been floating around for a while, but you need to go through and check the tightness of all these steering components. Depending on the height lift you are running, your castor angles may be too extreme and be the true culprit.

Attachments

• image-2408749466.jpg
    image-2408749466.jpg
    473.5 KB · Views: 74

txjeeplover

Anyone have any idea what may cause the steering wheel to go crazy when breaking at or around 40mph from a faster speed? Just started doing this not sure what the cause is any and all info would be great. Once speed is below 40mph its fine and above 40 its fine, and its only the steering wheel, not the entire Jeep, so the " Death Wabble " can be ruled out ( I think?)?????:thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::doh:

I developed a similar shimmy after a tire rotation about 8-9 months ago. I had my tires balanced and an alignment done which fixed it. I experienced the same condition again about 3 weeks ago after a tire rotation, but this time far more severe and it was clearly became death wobble. I replaced my ball joints about a week ago and the that cured it, plus gave me a more firm steering response. I now believe that my ball joints have been bad for about a year or so, and slowly getting worse.

You should check all of the usual suspects (tires, wheels, trackbar, steering linkages, bushings, and bolts) but I think that your lower ball joints are shot. If you still have the factory set, then there's a 99% chance that this is your problem!

raildog13

heThanks for the replys, I had no choice but to take it in to get looked at, and what i had thought it was besides what y'all said, it was the breaks and rotors, the breaks were about 31/2 years old, same with the rotors, never had to do anywork to them, well I thought they were fine, but not so much, rotors were bad beyond repair, so far after driving home it seems to have fixed the problem, will see how it holds up in the next few weeks, months if its something else. who know's. I just hate going to a dealership or repair shop unless i know for sure what the problem is. But again, thanks for your responses.

Top Bottom