CB question(s)

p38

Caught the Bug
New to off-roading, can someone tell me the benefits of having a CB? Which one would be the best choice? Portable or fixed mount? Are there set frequencies for off-road? Is there a license requirement?

Thank you

Napalm

New to off-roading, can someone tell me the benefits of having a CB? Which one would be the best choice? Portable or fixed mount? Are there set frequencies for off-road? Is there a license requirement?

Thank you

In Texas, you do not have to have a permit to run a CB. The benefits are huge. Wheeling in large groups, you are able to talk with others in the group making for some great banter and jokes. It also allows navigation instructions from your group leader, and if something happens it allows you to let the rest of your group know.

Portable or fixed mount is completely up to you, depending on your budget and mounting abilities.

I would get one. I run an almost completely stock JKU and have one. :)

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
FCC requires no license to run a CB because of their limited transmission distance. You and your group decide what channel to use, there are 40 total (Chanel 9 is strictly for emergency communications) Make sure weather portable or hard mount you tune it properly or it will be no use to you (and your group will hate you every time you key up)

Last edited:

GoldenJK

Good questions.
A CB is required to wheel with lots of groups plus it's just a good idea to have one.

My question is what channel do you use when wheeling alone? Yes, we do that. 9 for emergency, 19 for truckers. I've heard channel 4 is common for 4x4'ers so that's what I'm usually on.

Besides calling out if having trouble, many Colorado trails are narrow, blind, with no turn arounds or places to pass so it would be useful to call out on the CB and have some chance of reaching others coming the other way.

So what channel do you use and why?

RRien07

More and more folks are moving to HAM radios just because of the range.
That said I have had five CB's and so far the best one has been the Cobra 29L.
Still does not go out as far as a ham but works great. Make sure you tune the radio to the antenna. Very important and if you don't do it right your just wasting your time and hard earned money.
If you do not think you want to dive into it, I would highly recommend you having the CB professional install. I am sure you will find one in your area.
I am not saying it's a difficult task, it's not. But if you don't have the SWR meter and the skill set to wire it up. It's just a heck of a lot easier to pay someone who does it all day long and get it right the first time. You will be a lot happier and more then likely save money in the long run. Good luck. Have fun.

jolly

fixed or mobile largely depends on if you are able to mount it in your car (wiring-wise and position) and how often you need it.

A thing to consider: do mobile one provide the same range than fixed ones with larger antennas?

[...] (Chanel 9 is strictly for emergency communications) [...]
interesting how things can differ - Channel 9 is the one for general banter over here

p38

Caught the Bug
More and more folks are moving to HAM radios just because of the range.
That said I have had five CB's and so far the best one has been the Cobra 29L.
Still does not go out as far as a ham but works great. Make sure you tune the radio to the antenna. Very important and if you don't do it right your just wasting your time and hard earned money.
If you do not think you want to dive into it, I would highly recommend you having the CB professional install. I am sure you will find one in your area.
I am not saying it's a difficult task, it's not. But if you don't have the SWR meter and the skill set to wire it up. It's just a heck of a lot easier to pay someone who does it all day long and get it right the first time. You will be a lot happier and more then likely save money in the long run. Good luck. Have fun.

Could you provide an example of a HAM radio? Are they similar in size/operation to the Cobra 29L?

Thanks for the info

Top Bottom