How To Moab

whytiptoe

So my brother and I are thinking of taking the fam to Moab next year. We have more than enough time to plan. First problem: how to get fam, and jeeps there from TN.

First idea: rent RV and trailer jeeps. I like this idea because the kids can play and we can team drive the vehicle and we already have our place to stay.

Second idea: drive the jeeps with fam. Don't like as I don't want my son to be in a car seat for DAYS with travel and then off-roading. Have to find a place to stay as well. Also of for some reason something breaks.... Well it's got to be fixed before we can head back home.

Third option: rent/borrow truck with fithweel and trailer and brother and I team driver there and girls and kids could fly in and we can pick them up.

Any help on this or past experience would be helpful.

JeepJeep75

You could rent an RV, drive there with family, then rent a jeep in Moab since you can't tow a trailer with the rented RV. I've rented jeeps before we got our Rubicon. It was alright. You probably want your own jeep though, I know I would. You could also drive your jeep to Moab, pick up the family at the airport and rent an RV locally.

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
I've only found one so far and he also recommended a site that is for privet owners to rent there's out while they are not using them.

The only problem renting from a private owner is I think you're responsible for any repairs. You don't get the roadside service you would get from a dealer. I would pull the Jeeps with a truck and meet the family. I RV'd from Jersey and rented in Moab. It was definitely fun but not the same as your own.

Ddays

Hooked
I had the same dilemma. I'm going in July. Was going to ship Jeep & fly myself, wife & 2 daughters out. Decided screw it, the drive will be part of the vacation. Gas is cheap and we plan on stopping often so it isn't a marathon. Hell, the range in these damn things is only 300 miles anyways! Portable DVD or laptop with movies for the kids & you're set!

whytiptoe

I had the same dilemma. I'm going in July. Was going to ship Jeep & fly myself, wife & 2 daughters out. Decided screw it, the drive will be part of the vacation. Gas is cheap and we plan on stopping often so it isn't a marathon. Hell, the range in these damn things is only 300 miles anyways! Portable DVD or laptop with movies for the kids & you're set!

Well he would be a little over 2 so I'm not sure if a movie will work. It could but not sure.

Ddays

Hooked
Well he would be a little over 2 so I'm not sure if a movie will work. It could but not sure.

Yeah, that makes it a little different being that young. I drove from Pittsburgh to Atlanta with a cranky, fussy 2 year old once. ONCE :eek:
Guess it comes down to whether you want to drive your Jeep out there or don't mind renting one. The motorhome sure would make the trip easy
on everyone. Towing with a fifth wheel isn't going to make the trip much more comfortable for the young one - he'll still be in a car seat.

Unless your kid is horrible in the car I can't see this taking more than 2.5 days tops.

Make up some distance while the kid is sleeping. Take breaks when he's awake, about every half tank he'll be due for a fresh diaper anyway.

jeeeep

Hooked
So my brother and I are thinking of taking the fam to Moab next year. We have more than enough time to plan. First problem: how to get fam, and jeeps there from TN.

First idea: rent RV and trailer jeeps. I like this idea because the kids can play and we can team drive the vehicle and we already have our place to stay.

Second idea: drive the jeeps with fam. Don't like as I don't want my son to be in a car seat for DAYS with travel and then off-roading. Have to find a place to stay as well. Also of for some reason something breaks.... Well it's got to be fixed before we can head back home.

Third option: rent/borrow truck with fithweel and trailer and brother and I team driver there and girls and kids could fly in and we can pick them up.

Any help on this or past experience would be helpful.

how many members in each family? if your brother helps out with the driving does that mean you'll be on the road for longer periods of time? even in an RV kids get restless - but if you have a restroom they can use even when moving it's a bonus, kids bodily functions will always activate after you've left the gas station :cheesy:

how much travel time versus wheeling time do you have planned?

I've been traveling in our Jeep with my daughter since she was a baby and when she was really young, I found hitting the road while she was still asleep made it easier on both of us :thumb:. I usually got on the road around 4am and she would wake up around 9 or 10. she loved Disney movies so that was a bonus for keeping her occupied until gas stops which we tried to make them bathroom, snacks, stretch the legs etc... we always made sure to stop at 5-6pm for hotel swim time and decent dinner.

RageKage

how many members in each family? if your brother helps out with the driving does that mean you'll be on the road for longer periods of time? even in an RV kids get restless - but if you have a restroom they can use even when moving it's a bonus, kids bodily functions will always activate after you've left the gas station :cheesy:

how much travel time versus wheeling time do you have planned?

I've been traveling in our Jeep with my daughter since she was a baby and when she was really young, I found hitting the road while she was still asleep made it easier on both of us :thumb:. I usually got on the road around 4am and she would wake up around 9 or 10. she loved Disney movies so that was a bonus for keeping her occupied until gas stops which we tried to make them bathroom, snacks, stretch the legs etc... we always made sure to stop at 5-6pm for hotel swim time and decent dinner.

^^^^ this. When I have moved duty stations with the army the best answer was to get on the road early while kids sleep, Disney movies and stop often.
Absolutely second the stopping around 5-6 for the night. Gives the kids time to unwind and run around with a decent meal and get to bed early to hit the road at zero ass crack in the morning. I have two kids and at the time of move they were 2 and 1 when We went from Kansas to Alaska. Went from Kansas to California, then north to Seattle, took a 3 day ferry to Alaska, the another 2-3 day drive to the duty station. All in all was about two weeks give or take on the road and the kids did amazing. Had a few throwing up incidents (I think my youngest gets motion sickness) but other than that nothing we couldn't handle.

You could also rent an RV then trailer one of the jeeps with the other jeep. Or if you're only bringing one jeep; rent an RV and drive the jeep. I towed my '74 CJ-5 with my 2014 JKU sport (with 6.5 in lift and 37's on stock axles with 3:21 gear ratio) and didn't have any issues. Gas mileage was shit but it pulled and stopped just fine. Went through lots of winding mountains too.

Last edited:

BroncoRubi

We are bringing two jeeps. We both have one. I don't think our jeeps are rated to tow it's own weight. Factory only installs a class 2 hitch

TLife

I towed my '74 CJ-5 with my 2014 JKU sport (with 6.5 in lift and 37's on stock axles with 3:21 gear ratio) and didn't have any issues. Gas mileage was shit but it pulled and stopped just fine. Went through lots of winding mountains too.

You towed 3000 lbs through the mountains with 37s and 3.21 gears? I bet that's not as much fun as you're making it out to be!

WJCO

Meme King
^^^^ this. When I have moved duty stations with the army the best answer was to get on the road early while kids sleep, Disney movies and stop often.
Absolutely second the stopping around 5-6 for the night. Gives the kids time to unwind and run around with a decent meal and get to bed early to hit the road at zero ass crack in the morning. I have two kids and at the time of move they were 2 and 1 when We went from Kansas to Alaska. Went from Kansas to California, then north to Seattle, took a 3 day ferry to Alaska, the another 2-3 day drive to the duty station. All in all was about two weeks give or take on the road and the kids did amazing. Had a few throwing up incidents (I think my youngest gets motion sickness) but other than that nothing we couldn't handle.

You could also rent an RV then trailer one of the jeeps with the other jeep. Or if you're only bringing one jeep; rent an RV and drive the jeep. I towed my '74 CJ-5 with my 2014 JKU sport (with 6.5 in lift and 37's on stock axles with 3:21 gear ratio) and didn't have any issues. Gas mileage was shit but it pulled and stopped just fine. Went through lots of winding mountains too.

You towed 3000 lbs through the mountains with 37s and 3.21 gears? I bet that's not as much fun as you're making it out to be!

hqdefault.jpg .....

ELHines

Just get there!

We drove from Texas to New Mexico then New Mexico to Moab, however you get there just get there! It is worth it, and by the way we got over 400 miles to the tank. Also we saw a lot of Jeep Rentals and they won't go everywhere you want to see, most are stock with maybe 2" spring lifts. We took over 1000 pics and 8 hrs. off video. If you can't tell I'm still excited, we just got back yesterday :yup:

20160510_091215.jpg GEDC0564.jpg 20160510_091638.jpg

Ddays

Hooked
We drove from Texas to New Mexico then New Mexico to Moab, however you get there just get there! It is worth it, and by the way we got over 400 miles to the tank. Also we saw a lot of Jeep Rentals and they won't go everywhere you want to see, most are stock with maybe 2" spring lifts. We took over 1000 pics and 8 hrs. off video. If you can't tell I'm still excited, we just got back yesterday :yup:

View attachment 203940 View attachment 203941 View attachment 203942

400 miles? That's pretty good mileage. I was fairly happy with 300 miles or so. What trail are these photos from? Looks like a good one!

ELHines

400 miles? That's pretty good mileage. I was fairly happy with 300 miles or so. What trail are these photos from? Looks like a good one!

White Rim Road at Canyonlands National Park, 101 miles long. FYI not 400 miles on trail.

20160514_152813.jpg

I WAS SHOCKED AT MILEAGE TOO!

Top Bottom