Memorial Day Black Bear Pass Run

I am heading to Telluride Next week to do the Black Bear Pass. I want to know of any tips anyone has. Additionally I want to ask what anyone knows about camping on the trail. Is there any camping on the trail or near the trail?

Speeddmn

I am heading to Telluride Next week to do the Black Bear Pass. I want to know of any tips anyone has. Additionally I want to ask what anyone knows about camping on the trail. Is there any camping on the trail or near the trail?

I know a couple years back I looked into do this about the same time frame, the trails were still closed due to snow pack. If you haven't I would call and check. If it's open have fun, enjoy and take tons of pictures!!

Thanks!

I know a couple years back I looked into do this about the same time frame, the trails were still closed due to snow pack. If you haven't I would call and check. If it's open have fun, enjoy and take tons of pictures!!

You was right it snowed yesterday! The ranger station said it will be closed till July!

uberc4

Holy cow, good to know! Glad that I am trying to do this trail late July-August time frame.

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Yep. We just got dumped on with more snow past few days in northern New Mexico and Colorado. Wouldn't surprise me if Black Bear doesn't open until late July. We've gone camping in Ouray for past 7 years over 4th of July and it's been closed several times.

Jeep Bro 08

I was thinking of going 4th July. What is a good mountain town to go to in that area to adventure around see the sights maybe bed & breakfast & ghost town stuff

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
I was thinking of going 4th July. What is a good mountain town to go to in that area to adventure around see the sights maybe bed & breakfast & ghost town stuff

Two great mountain towns in this area, Silverton and Ouray. Silverton is slightly south of Ouray and a little smaller. They have a couple of old west hotels along Main Street that have great character, old saloons on the first floor type thing. Close to Silverton is a nice jeep trail that takes you out to an old mining town known as Animas Forks. It's a great place to see what the hearty pioneers of the Rockies endured in 1800s. Ouray is also a great little town, just slightly north. The road from Silverton to Ouray takes you through some of the most majestic mountain scenery you'll ever see. It's called the Million Dollar Highway for its million dollar views. I'm still blown away by the scenery every time I drive it. I have lots of info on this area of Colorado. PM me and I can send you more info.

Jeep Bro 08

Two great mountain towns in this area, Silverton and Ouray. Silverton is slightly south of Ouray and a little smaller. They have a couple of old west hotels along Main Street that have great character, old saloons on the first floor type thing. Close to Silverton is a nice jeep trail that takes you out to an old mining town known as Animas Forks. It's a great place to see what the hearty pioneers of the Rockies endured in 1800s. Ouray is also a great little town, just slightly north. The road from Silverton to Ouray takes you through some of the most majestic mountain scenery you'll ever see. It's called the Million Dollar Highway for its million dollar views. I'm still blown away by the scenery every time I drive it. I have lots of info on this area of Colorado. PM me and I can send you more info.

Yes silverton was the place I've heard of his sounds like the type place id like to vist. Thank you

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
This time of year Black Bear will be iffy. The San Juan Mountains got a little less than normal snowpack this past winter but have had a couple of pretty good snowfalls the last couple of weeks. I'd call one of the Jeep rental places in Ouray and see what they say. The "Gold Rush" to the San Juans usually starts 4th of July when it's a good bet all the mind-blowing high mountain passes are clear enough to enjoy and not be scared witless.
Silverton is a real deal 19th century mining town. There are a couple of motels and The Grand Imperial Hotel which was remodeled last year. If you stay at the GI you won't be disappointed. There is a nice National Forest campground just north out of town on Hwy 550. From there it's a short n easy drive to the Black Bear and Ophir Pass trailheads. If you take the main street straight north out of town there's a nice commercial campground. I think it's called Silverton Lakes Campground. Definitely check trail conditions before you try to run the trails. Although I've done it, I wouldn't want to try Black Bear even when it's raining . Ouray is a great place to stay if you want a motel. It's the hub for off roading the San Juans. Both towns are worth a look even if you aren't able run any trails. If you're heading to Moab from Ouray, about twelve miles north of Ouray is the small town of Ridgeway where quite a bit of the original True Grit was filmed. Check out the YouTube video posted by JeepsterGal. Just the drive from Durango to Silverton to Ouray and Ridgeway is worth your time. You'll come back.
Enjoy your trip and have a great time in Moab!
ophir-pass.jpg
This could be Ohir Pass in the Summer

jeepnjules

I need some advice on a similar trip. I am planning on being in the area the first week of August and was planning on coming In Thru engineer pass from lake city then dropping down black bear to telluride and back up thru Imogene pass to ouray and from there down to silverton and over to alamosa. Other than black bear which I know is one way can anyone tell me if this is a good run and if engineer and black bear can be accomplished in one day and Imogene and down to silverton in another day?

2Cross

Caught the Bug
I would do Poughkeepsie Gulch on your last day when you go from Ouray to Silverton.

How long do you plan on jeeping?
Engineer to Black Bear is a LONG day. I like to run BB early since it usually rains in the afternoon and it's nice to have dry rock to go down when you are next to a big cliff.

Imogene and over to Poughkeepsie is probably a 6-8 hour ride from Telluride to Silverton depending on your driving style and the traffic.

Last edited:

dillard09

I need some advice on a similar trip. I am planning on being in the area the first week of August and was planning on coming In Thru engineer pass from lake city then dropping down black bear to telluride and back up thru Imogene pass to ouray and from there down to silverton and over to alamosa. Other than black bear which I know is one way can anyone tell me if this is a good run and if engineer and black bear can be accomplished in one day and Imogene and down to silverton in another day?

I would agree with 2cross. That would be a couple Long days. Expecially if you have never been on them before because you will be doing some stopping and looking. If there is some traffic, which I'm sure there will be around that time it could be longer. Black bear around that time could almost be all day if there is traffic. I say hit Poughkeepsie as well.
But those are some great trails to run.
BTW welcome to Wayalife!

jeepnjules

Thanks guys for the info. 2 cross, We will be heading out of Albuquerque on Thursday afternoon on August 4th. Plan on staying somewhere just over the border. After that I have all of Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Have to be back in Albuquerque by Monday night cause I work Tuesday. Just trying to plan out the trip now. Probably gonna be 2-4 vehicles. There are three other things that we want to see on this trip, bishops castle(this one is not optional), the sand dunes, and the alligator farm. It's lots packed into 4 days and that's why I'm trying to see what needs to be eliminated. Trails are priority[emoji39]. If anyone is interested in joining you are welcome. It's always a pleasure to mingle with new friends. Thanks dillard09 for the welcome.

2Cross

Caught the Bug
Thanks guys for the info. 2 cross, We will be heading out of Albuquerque on Thursday afternoon on August 4th. Plan on staying somewhere just over the border. After that I have all of Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Have to be back in Albuquerque by Monday night cause I work Tuesday. Just trying to plan out the trip now. Probably gonna be 2-4 vehicles. There are three other things that we want to see on this trip, bishops castle(this one is not optional), the sand dunes, and the alligator farm. It's lots packed into 4 days and that's why I'm trying to see what needs to be eliminated. Trails are priority[emoji39]. If anyone is interested in joining you are welcome. It's always a pleasure to mingle with new friends. Thanks dillard09 for the welcome.

Sounds like a fun trip. Thanks for the invite ...I'm heading to Alaska that weekend for a fishing trip and will have to pass. If I was doing that much I would be flexible especially if kids are coming. I would run Engineer from lake City to Ouray on Sunday. I like to stay in twinpeaks lodge. Then wake up Monday and run Poughkeepsie Gulch to Silverton. Eat lunch in Silverton at 'thee Pitts bbq' and you'll be home about dinner time in ABQ Monday night.
If you had a third day you could run black bear to Imogene. But I doubt you'll have time.
Enjoy and I hope you write a trail report

Top Bottom