EVO Slider Low Angle Side step and Side skins

Mtb275

If I run The EVO Sliders Low Angle Side Steps, do I need side skins?

Or do the side skins become more for appearance?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
You don't need the skins with either application. The skins will help protect the rockers either way. If you decide to add the skins on later it's a lot easier to do with the custom angle ones rather than the body hugging ones

Mtb275

You don't need the skins with either application. The skins will help protect the rockers either way. If you decide to add the skins on later it's a lot easier to do with the custom angle ones rather than the body hugging ones

What are the chances of the rockers taking a hit from rocks if the sliders are on there?

Is the protection you speak of more of general protection, Knicks, dings, etc....

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
What are the chances of the rockers taking a hit from rocks if the sliders are on there?

Is the protection you speak of more of general protection, Knicks, dings, etc....

The body will roll and make contact with the rails especially with the standard sliders. The angled ones only the pinch seam will hit the slider legs. So e's with the angle ones it's more or less to help with cosmetic dings but can still help with rocks that may poke out higher than the slider

Mtb275

The body will roll and make contact with the rails especially with the standard sliders. The angled ones only the pinch seam will hit the slider legs. So e's with the angle ones it's more or less to help with cosmetic dings but can still help with rocks that may poke out higher than the slider

Thanks[emoji106]

Havoc40

I'm running the low angle with skins and love them. Aside from the look, it protects the rocker from rock chips and most importantly scratches from people getting in and out

Mtb275

I'm running the low angle with skins and love them. Aside from the look, it protects the rocker from rock chips and most importantly scratches from people getting in and out

Is there any way you could reference the height of the step to the pinch seem?

Or maybe to bottom of door when door is open and above step. The distance between door and top of step would be easy to measure.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Evil

Is there any way you could reference the height of the step to the pinch seem?

Or maybe to bottom of door when door is open and above step. The distance between door and top of step would be easy to measure.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

What!!!! See if this helps, cant get measurements until tomorrow. I used the skins under the rails to hide some rash. Way cheaper then body work. These are the low angle step sliders with the powder coated skins.
IMG_3086.jpg
IMG_3087.jpg
IMG_3088.jpg

Mtb275

Thanks for pics.[emoji106] and nice color choice....

I'm torn, I like both the EVO sliders and CC rocker steps.

The distance between the bottom of door and top of step is the only fixed dimensions, that I can think of, that would be similar on all Jeeps.

Here are mine I have an 1-5/8" at the front door. The bigger the gap the lower the step.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1463629913.451959.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1463630020.440359.jpg

Last edited:

Evil

Are you referring to the slider legs and the bottom on the pinch weld like in this masterly edited photo ?
33.jpg

If so the legs or top of steps are 1/2 inch away from the bottom of the pinch seams.

bonedaddy

alright I have to ask, how much of a whore is it to do the nutserts? not going to lie, but I am a little chicken shit to drill the holes and do the nutserts...

I have spots on both sides of the rig there the Shitty Built steps I had on there hit the pinch seam... knocked the paint right off... have since replaced them with the 10a Rubi Rails until I decide which direction I want to go as far as sliders... but I want to do skins for some added protection...

Mtb275

Are you referring to the slider legs and the bottom on the pinch weld like in this masterly edited photo ?
View attachment 204011

If so the legs or top of steps are 1/2 inch away from the bottom of the pinch seams.

No. The top of the step. Where you would put your foot to get into jeep. See post #10. I measured mine from bottom of door to top of step.

jesse3638

Hooked
alright I have to ask, how much of a whore is it to do the nutserts? not going to lie, but I am a little chicken shit to drill the holes and do the nutserts...

I have spots on both sides of the rig there the Shitty Built steps I had on there hit the pinch seam... knocked the paint right off... have since replaced them with the 10a Rubi Rails until I decide which direction I want to go as far as sliders... but I want to do skins for some added protection...

I don't have EVO skins but I have the poison spider ones. I measured about 100 times before I marked the location with a center punch. The first hole is the hardest but after that the other 25 are a lot easier...haha. Just go slow so the bit doesn't walk on you. I would have used my unibit but it was a weird size like 15/32 or something. I used the cheap tool they sent with my skins and rails. It took so figuring out but it worked. If I had to do it again I'd borrow or buy a real nutsert tool. Others have posted some links to ones they used. I'm sure some will chime in with the tools they used. Hopefully this helps.

Evil

Nutserts are not the problem, its drilling the hole carefully so the bit dont take out more of the flimsy ass metal then you want to. Get the astro tool and use the serts that come with it to practice on. You will get a feel for crimping them correctly. To tight and the center will go left or right. To loose and itll spin.
IMG_3492.jpg

Mtb275

Nutserts are not the problem, its drilling the hole carefully so the bit dont take out more of the flimsy ass metal then you want to. Get the astro tool and use the serts that come with it to practice on. You will get a feel for crimping them correctly. To tight and the center will go left or right. To loose and itll spin.
View attachment 204167

Awesome, Evil. Thank you.

Looks like I will be going with the EVO side steps. And probably Alum Skins.:yup:

Top Bottom