New Jeep Wrangler with Turbo I4 SPY PHOTOS!

Here are a couple of spy photos of what appears to be a Wrangler with the new turbo inline 4 cylinder Hurricane engine!

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1463604167.658944.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1463604325.013376.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1463604342.880790.jpg

Last edited:

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
I know that this is likely a prototype and that things will probably look a lot different, but I am concerned as a customer where I am going to fit my upgrades, such as on-board air compressor, solenoids for my lockers and steering ram assist. There appears to be no more room at all. Just my two cents.

So happy I got my 2016 now. Phew.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL!! As mentioned, I'm sure this is just a prototype... Or should I say, I really hope it is!! Holy smokes - talk about a rats nest!!

Ddays

Hooked
Man, I just don't know about a turbo 4. I haven't driven a modern day setup like this but I have in the past. Really had to get revs up to get any power.
Maybe it will have nice low end grunt but most turbo 4's like to rev, no?

Yeeech to those hoses! It'll be a challenge to get mods under that hood.

ScoobyCarolanNC

Most modern turbos have variable vanes or other features to prevent turbo lag & give them more even low end distribution. A well geared turbo 4 might be interesting. It also opens up a whole new aftermarket on engines. The old Audi 1.8T was bulletproof in a lot of ways. It was 180hp stock & guys were taking it well over 300 for a few thousand dollars. Considering a RIPP is 6K and gets you nothing of consequence I'd be into seeing what could be done.

cmireles

As a porter at a ford dealership, I got firsthand experience with all the ecoboost motors, almost all of which are 4 cylinders. They're pretty fun to drive, especially in cars like the focus ST or mustang (still prefer the 5.0). I know said cars are a lot lighter but the point is turbo lag seems like a thing of the past, and these engines make great power, torque, and gas mileage.

As far as those pictures go, that does look kinda rough. Hoping it's a prototype.

Top Bottom