Dumbass of the Year Award goes to...

Me!

My battery needed replacing so I took care of it on Sunday. CEL came on and I figured it was due to low power or something of the like. I ended up pulling the codes and clearing them. Two didn't clear so I was about to post up here to see if anyone had experienced them before.

In stop and go traffic yesterday, I realize the jeep is getting hot. Pulled over and shut it off. Let it cool and was then able to make it into the dealership.

Got a call today that I must have put the power supply for the cooling fan on the negative terminal, not the positive. It's a black wire and when I pulled all my other accessory wires off to swap the battery, that must have come off too and I hooked it up to the negative terminal going by the standard black=ground.

Apparently, that simple mistake ended up frying the cooling fan (sold as a whole assembly) and likely the TIPMS. Nailing everything down with the dealer tomorrow, but it was a costly error.

Labricon

Caught the Bug
Honest mistake. Based on some of the people I come a cross on a daily basis you will have a hard time collecting the trophy for the award you believe you have earned. Carry on enjoying your Jeep!!

WJCO - FUN NEE!!!

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Check quadratec, they sell the fan motor, the fan blades, and the shroud all separately if I remember right.

They are super easy to replace. I had mine out after I got stuck the last time and was looking at replacing it. Thought I broke a blade or something.

Dont worry, sounds like something i would do

Live and learn :doh:

Expensive lesson. :doh:

You could always start a gofundme page and have someone else pay for it :idontknow:

I'm sure someone has tried that before. :asshat: move. Ha ha

Honest mistake. Based on some of the people I come a cross on a daily basis you will have a hard time collecting the trophy for the award you believe you have earned. Carry on enjoying your Jeep!!

WJCO - FUN NEE!!!

Had a wheeling trip planned this weekend too and wouldn't you know it, the TIPM is on backorder. Hoping we can get it put together before tomorrow night.

That's a bummer man!

Check quadratec, they sell the fan motor, the fan blades, and the shroud all separately if I remember right.

They are super easy to replace. I had mine out after I got stuck the last time and was looking at replacing it. Thought I broke a blade or something.

I looked up getting the parts myself for way cheaper, but I'd have to pay for the diagnostics at this point if I pick it up and they'll waive most of it if I leave it. Priced out a couple of different scenarios, but I'm going to have them start on the fan and module - see if that does it. If not, we'll have to see what we can do about getting a TIPM.

That's like shitting your pants....don't tell anybody.

Gotta air it out :-D

Lol that's why I hate messing with wires. Electrical stuff scares me!

I feel like such an idiot.

Heavyhaul07

It happens to the best of us. Even seasoned mechanics make mistakes. I still take a pic of things allot of times when doing work.

Well, I got lucky and it appears that the TIPMS was spared. They got the fan/module replaced and it was dead as a door nail. The service manager was about to give me a call when the mechanic called back to say that they flipped on the air conditioning and the TIPMS started working! They road tested it, made sure the fan was coming on at the right temp and kicking off when it was supposed to. All good. Picked it up last night and we're headed out for a weekend of wheeling and camping this evening.

Who would have thought that I would be happy to get a $1,000 bill from the dealer.

Top Bottom