RK 2.5 or Evo leveling kit + bumpstops

Tenways

I'll keep this quick and simple, and apologies in advance if this has been asked before, I searched the forums and didn't find an exact answer.

I was planning on moving forward with a coil-over build last year on my 2-door, but instead, decided to buy a house (what was I thinking?). So, it's time to buy new tires and I'd like to move forward and get my 35's. I have flat fenders but currently a stock suspension. I chatted with one of the guys at Northridge and asked his opinion about getting the evo leveling kit, some bump stop spacers for the back, and maybe some King bump stops for the front since I like to drive fast on dirt, and it seems since I added my steel bumpers, fender, and winch, I seem to be hitting holes and bumps and feeling a good bit of jarring. His opinion was to just go ahead and get the RK 2.5 lift with some decent shocks. While I do want to get a good lift, I would rather do something light on the budget for now, and save up and do it right with a coil-over or enforcer build later this year. At least with the leveling kit and King bump stops, I could still use the bump stops for the next phase.

I also assume that maybe the Evo 1.5 leveling kit would get me somewhat closer to 2 inches since it's a 2-door. Maybe not with all the weight.

What do you guys think? Keep in mind that my Jeep is my DD.

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
I have the RK 3.5 inch X-factor Kit so I can only speak to my experience.

Which RK 2.5 Kit are you looking at? They are different and it matters because the 1 inch rear end stretch causes some problems for the "lower-sized" lifts. It's a good thing if you're going 4 inches or more, but causes interference issues on 3.5 inch lifts and smaller.

Overall, I like my RK lift a lot after I modified several things. I made a relocation bracket for the body mount side of the rear track bar (due to the 1 inch stretch), got rid of the RK track bar mounts and adjustable track bars. I ended up going with EVO track bar mounts and my OEM track bars.

The RK control arms and joints have held up well as have the rest of their components that came in the kit. That being said, you would probably be happier with a kit that you don't have to modify to have it run right...hopefully someone who has a RK 2.5 inch kit will respond too.

I hope this helps,
Matt

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
Two things that may cause you problems with that kit:
- The rear track bar mount does not have a U-bolt helping to distribute the force that the rear track bar bracket will take when you wheel your Jeep. The track bar will work like a lever on that bracket and eventually break the bracket off at the welds (and rip the OEM bracket off too).
- You will feel all of the bumps in the road as that hiem joint transfers them to the frame of the Jeep (the single rubber like bushing does not dampen them).

It looks like the triple rate springs come with the that kit (not that it states it, like it should). Some people say those springs are too stiff, but I like mine. They hold up well and I don't get rear end sag when I fully loaded with gear and people. I have a 4-door with steel bumpers, tire carrier, sliders and winch.

No new arms, so if your stock bushings are spent or going, your suspension will still feel like crap with the kit installed. That won't be the kit's fault but something to be aware of, but since this is an interim kit not a big deal.

Top Bottom