Wireless Spotter To Driver Communication

whytiptoe

So I am about to start taking the wife with me wheeling. I am wanting her to start driving and I know she is nervous about it. So I am looking for a good setup that will allow us to talk to each other with no issues if I get out of the vehicle to spot her. I have looked at the rugged radio setups, they are nice, but not sure I am wanting to spend that kind of money right now. If anyone has any alternate ideas please let me know. Thanks in advance for your ideas and help.

Napalm

Usually I just speak up, the driver of the Jeep I am spotting usually hears me with the windows down. Sometimes I have to raise my voice but it gets the job done without having to mess with a radio.

Last edited:

whytiptoe

I have a handheld cb I use for spotting. Cheap radio shack one I bought years ago

This is not a bad idea, but I do not want her to have to take her hands off the wheel to talk back to me. However this could be a good start.

Usually I just speak up, the driver of the Jeep I am spotting usually hears me with the windows down. Sometimes I have to raise my voice but it gets the job done without having to mess with a radio.

This may be the start that I use, I just really do not want to take a chance in making her uncomfortable if she has a hard time hearing me.

Napalm

This is not a bad idea, but I do not want her to have to take her hands off the wheel to talk back to me. However this could be a good start.

This may be the start that I use, I just really do not want to take a chance in making her uncomfortable if she has a hard time hearing me.

Yeah keep in mind I've never tried this theory with my wife, only other Jeepers! LoL!

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
This is the reason I went with the midland 75-822. You will need a cb in the jeep ALSO, if your wheeling yourself, speaking up is a cheap solution.

I have never had a driver NEED to talk back while I'm spotting them... $0.02

Last edited:

Petzl88

The driver shouldn't need to talk back. Roll down the window, turn down the radio and she will be able to hear you.

thardy

Banned
The other thing to remember here, if she's not comfortable with the signals or driving, don't force it. That's when things can get sketchy, both on the trail and at home.

whytiptoe

The other thing to remember here, if she's not comfortable with the signals or driving, don't force it. That's when things can get sketchy, both on the trail and at home.

I completely agree, this is why I want her to have the ability to say she is not comfortable and we can stop without her having to yell or anything. Also I want to make sure she will always clearly hear me or the spotter.

thardy

Banned
I completely agree, this is why I want her to have the ability to say she is not comfortable and we can stop without her having to yell or anything. Also I want to make sure she will always clearly hear me or the spotter.

A cheap handheld for you speaking to her and a quick beep of the horn from her means "no thanks".

WJCO

Meme King

what.jpg .....

JAGS

Hooked

She will be more comfortable yelling than she will taking a hand of the steering wheel, grabbing a mic or CB and keying it to talk.

I've gone out wheeling with Mrs JAGS a few times and helped her with simple instructions. Eddie and a couple other have also spotted her just using voice and simple hand gestures.

If you still want a CB, go with a midland or some basic walkie talkies as others have mentioned. I use the midland via coax and antenna and am happy with it.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I'm smart enough to not spot my wife. I let Eddie or someone else get yelled at.

Last edited:
Top Bottom