69 Commando RestoMod Build

1969 Jeepster Commando Build
- Throttle Down Kustoms Frame reproduction frame
- 4L60E Transmission
- 5.3L 2001 Silverado
- Dana 60 front axle and matching Sterling 10.5 rear
- 40×13.50×17 TOYO Open Country M/T
- Method Race Wheels 17x8.5 8x170mm bolt pattern - anticipate these changing.

I started this build in the fall of 2012 and unfortunately this build has now eclipsed the 3 year mark. It started with a collection of parts even before the commando was the chosen platform. A move to far west Texas forced me to look at some local west Texas shops for build help as time and location wouldn’t allow me to build this one up in my shop in North Texas. In early 2013 - the Commando made ATX Motorsports its home. Derek, and I have hammered out the details and on some significant occasions I’ve spent days at a time right alongside him and his crew bringing the commando to life.

The Jeeps primary purpose is going to be daily driving duties and will see light expedition style trips. For this reason I am going to use Wagoneer and XJ Leaf Springs instead of a link suspension.

A must have for me was a new frame so I contacted Jeremy Pulse owner of Throttle Down Kustom's in Moore Montana to build me a Jeep frame for the Commando. I sent Jeremy the original frame so that he could expertly reverse engineer a frame for me. If you are not aware of Throttle Down Kustoms you should. JEREMY and his crew are to my knowledge the only American company building reproduction Jeep, Land Cruiser, and Bronco frames. Commando frames are not known for their strength and the one I had wasn't going to perform up to my standards. As with all of TDK's Frame's they are built using 3/16 rectangular tube and then hand welded on jigs.

For tires I chose Toyo Open Country Mud Terrains. I've had excellent luck with this tire on everything to daily driven TJ and JK's to my 3/4 ton diesel when it was on 20's. Method Race Wheels I've also had great luck with, they have great looking products, and are high quality from what my experience has been. The wheels for this commando with be my 4th set of Method Race Wheels.

Axles: I've been scouring junk yards for years now looking for Snow Fighter 60's and other ideal front axles. Finding none reasonably, I've gotten acquainted largely from Pirate with the Super Duty 60's from the 1999-2004 versions and the 2005 to current. While I've had a slew of axles in my garage over the last couple of months, I settled on the 2004 front 60 and plan to run it at full width. Holding it to the frame will be stock height, but new Wagoneer Leaf Springs. From what I've read this will push the axle 2" more forward than will a YJ spring. The Superduty axle requires me to put the leafs on top of the axle so we will see soon how much lift this yields me. For the Rear end I with a Superduty Sterling 10.5 out of a 2005 F-250. I chose the Sterling for its 35 splines and matching bolt pattern to the front axle.

I've waffled on choice of transmissions but my choice of engine was easy. The 5.3 Vortec engines are well regarded and seem to be the standard for gasoline engines. This choice made picking up a 4L60E a rather easy decision. Not wanting to break the budget I opted for NP231 out of Jeep Cherokee for my transfer case. With a slip yoke this case will more than take care of the needs of this Jeeps purposes off road.

I've thus far got a pile of parts and a plan in mind of what I want. With help and input I should have a running and driving rig inside the next 6 months.

A pile of parts. I was unsure as to wheter I wanted to use a 05 Super Duty 60 or an 99-04 Super Duty 60 I ended up with the 04 -

About to set up the shackles for the front suspension.

Todays plans involve getting everything on the front suspension mocked up and tacked into place.

Yesterday I got the harness removed off 5.3 and it is ready to get reprogrammed. Looking at my 5.3 I am wondering how much I'll be able to easily clean. I also installed a new RCI Fuel Cell in my 1998 TJ, and that included a 3hour round trip to the RCI Head Quarters in Tyler Texas. Dudes are awesome out there. I was getting a warranty replacement and they modified my new tank to better suit my needs. I was impressed.

Here are a couple more pictures.

the scene

I went with OEM Wagoneer front springs which are susposed to give a 2" stretch forward from YJ springs. The leafs are 7 packs so a few will be removed once I get the rear end set up. The plan for the rear end is for XJ springs on top of the axle.

The plan is for the rear wheel wells to be stretched out to accommodate the wheel base or use tj flares. Reusing the original body parts would be ideal and preferred.

Here you can see my hasty hack for fitting the body over the 37's

thardy

Banned
Just out of curiosity, since you're going to the length of a complete frame off rebuild and not returning it to stock form, why not go with coilovers?

It occurred to me today that the flat belly pan creates an excellent profile. I hope I can retain it once drive train and drive shafts are in place.

At this point in the build-I took a job in New Mexico and my shop is in Van Alstyne, TX about 7 hour drive between the two places, so work on my jeep consistently, wouldn't be possible. l therefore needed some help from ATX Off Road in Amarillo, TX.

Started with getting the engine, transmission and transfer mounted. Then cut the fire wall to allow for the engine to fit. Unfortunately the 0" drop skid plate isn't going to work for my purpose. So another unit is on the drawing board.

A few shots of getting the engine set up and the cut fire wall. This engine will be set back quite a ways.

that 3/16" floor In retrospect I could have gone a little lighter on this material.

The progress report... Headers are problems! We've not found a solution. So we will notch the frame and not sure how to reinforce it but pictures to come.

Here you can clearly see the header clearance issues.

Top Bottom