Drawings, Blueprint, Bodyshop manual

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Anyone know where I can buy a set of engineering drawings or the like for a Willys MB? I'm tossing up scratch building a MB inspired trail rig out of aluminium. I'm only really looking for the tub dimensions so I can get the proportion right. Everything I've found so far doesn't really provide enough detail of the dash, floor and side cutouts.

Ausjeep113

I'm not sure where you could find them, could just buy an aftermarket aluminium tub. I have had the same idea going through my head for the last few months, just build a tube frame and mount the Willys body on it, some junkyard Dana 60's and just beat on it, would be pretty cool :)

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
I'm not sure where you could find them, could just buy an aftermarket aluminium tub. I have had the same idea going through my head for the last few months, just build a tube frame and mount the Willys body on it, some junkyard Dana 60's and just beat on it, would be pretty cool :)

I looked at buying a new tub but by the time I cut it up to fit the drivetrain and suspension there wouldn't be much left! Plus if it's goes ahead it will have a 8" stretch and 100" wheelbase so might as well start from scratch. That way I can plan the whole build in CAD and get it all laser cut.

Ausjeep113

Yeah that's fair enough mate and atleast on CAD you can get everything to fit perfectly with no wastage?
An 8" stretch from what a standard Willys wheelbase? Would you just make your own tube chassis?

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
I must have been using the wrong search terms. Best i could find was this one which has a scale but is a bit of a pain to use.
http://drawingdatabase.com/willys-mb/

Didn't see your earlier post for some reason but the 8" stretch would be 6" in the tub for legroom (I'm 6'4") and 2 in the cowl/bonnet to give a little more engine clearance. Then stretch the wheelbase 20" to push the wheels right out to the ends of the body for a 100" wheelbase. Plan is for a RHS frame, ORI struts for suspension, Y61 Patrol axles, transfer and gearbox with a 6.0 LS motor. The more i look into it i think i should be ale to get full rego on 37s as a street rod

Ausjeep113

I must have been using the wrong search terms. Best i could find was this one which has a scale but is a bit of a pain to use.
http://drawingdatabase.com/willys-mb/

Didn't see your earlier post for some reason but the 8" stretch would be 6" in the tub for legroom (I'm 6'4") and 2 in the cowl/bonnet to give a little more engine clearance. Then stretch the wheelbase 20" to push the wheels right out to the ends of the body for a 100" wheelbase. Plan is for a RHS frame, ORI struts for suspension, Y61 Patrol axles, transfer and gearbox with a 6.0 LS motor. The more i look into it i think i should be ale to get full rego on 37s as a street rod

Sweet man, that thing will be bad ass!! I'll build one but only as a trail rig and trailer queen atleast that way I don't have to be worried about breaking it and then driving home.
Full rego would be pretty awesome, keen to see it get done. When we finally finish then we should definitely go on a trip sometime!!

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Definitely! if i do go ahead with it that would be badass

by the way i found the source of the drawing you found cj2a forum. That an older version of it which has a few minor errors. here's the final drawing he did. I also found a floor layout which gives a good indication of the widths and a full side drawing

ScreenShot2012-05-21at114128PM.jpg
floorboard3.jpg
20130103_a32012189195c3a4c2c0SyV1r1m1wE3Z.jpg.thumb.jpg

Top Bottom