Which mod should take priority?

SoCalDozer

Okay so I have a plan as far as what I want to do in regards to what mods first but im torn right now of what to start out with when I return home in one month.
Already running 33x12.5's and not sure what to do next. so far im leaning towards the re gear.

1. Regear with tru trac up front and rear air locker is one option. tru trac is so I dont have to worry about the d30 when going up in tire size.
2. Evo bumper, winch, and rear bumper
3. suspension lift

Also open to other idea's but these are the main things im planning for the jeep at this time

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Being that you have a 3.6L and just running 33's, I wouldn't bother with a regear. Bumper and a winch are nice to have but not really necessary especially if you wheel with a group. Having said that, you'll see and have the most fun with a lift.

SoCalDozer

Being that you have a 3.6L and just running 33's, I wouldn't bother with a regear. Bumper and a winch are nice to have but not really necessary especially if you wheel with a group. Having said that, you'll see and have the most fun with a lift.

Well if that's the case I could do a 2.5 lift and a rear locker for the same price as the rear gear I was going to do.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well if that's the case I could do a 2.5 lift and a rear locker for the same price as the rear gear I was going to do.

If you don't already have a good set of rocker guards, I would put that as a priority over gears. While a locker would be awesome to have, I might hold off on doing that until you run bigger tires and really do need to regear. That way, you'll only be paying for labor once.

Holeshot

Banned
I would say it depends on what gears your have now, if you have 3.21, go for the regear, if you have 3.73 or 4.10? regear can wait. depending on what kind of wheeling you do.

I'm acutally running on 35's with 3.73 with the 6 speeds and it goes well for almost everything but crawling. If you like rock crawling then go with the regear, otherwise, bumper and winch is always a good option for self recovery in case you get stuck alone :thumb:

TrailRidden

I vote suspension lift. It will give you way more performance off road and then you could armor it up as your rig advances through trail difficulty. That's the route i'm taking at least.:thumb:

Holeshot

Banned
From my own experiences, we (jeepers/off roaders) tend to be a little too gutsy, even when riding alone, and what happen in this case? we get stuck, and forced to call somebody do help us out. It happened to me several times, and for this reason I would say at least front bumper and winch first. but it's my own opinion.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Sliders and some undercarriage protection if you're gonna play on the rocks.

mkjeep

Junkyard Dog
I would suggest if you want any kinda locker right now, get a front lunchbox locker( aussie, lockright) that you could install yourself. If your going 33's , im guessing depending on road miles you'll run them for the next couple years with a BB or small coil lift and then decide on where you want to go from there An aussie in the front will definately help pulling you up and over obstacles which would be more difficult with an open diff. .This leaves you more money for armor and such so that when and if you decide to go bigger you've discovered your limitations with your set-up and can adjust accordingly witth tire,driveline and suspension modifications. And IMO a winch is great to have if you wheel alone alot. If you always are out with groups it becomes more of a decoration for the most part.

Last edited:

JKBANDIT55

I really dont think a locker is needed if you dont have bigger tires and lift to really find yourself in tuff situations to use a locker. Once you get the lift and tires you will then do more difficult trails where a locker is needed.

My first mod on all 3 of my last wheeling vehicles has been a lift kit.

for me it goes in this oder.

1-lift
2-tires
3-rock sliders
4-bumpers/winch
5-reovery equip
6-lockers ( you can still do well off road without) but it wont be as easy.
7-re-gear if needed as its not really a need its more of a want.
7-drive shafts. if needed

and the rest is just figuring out what mods fit you and your rig and the type of wheeling you do.

for me on my 2012 jk. its been like this.
first were, grab handles and floor mats.
1-2.5" lift. and JKS quick Discos.
2.swapped out the slick tires for rubicon GY M/Ts. (35s in a week or so)
3.Front AEV Bumper.
4-IPF lights for more light during night wheeling.

after my 35s, I will be getting some Rock sliders. I am also eye balling a compressor to fill up after airing down. Oh and a snorkel since I find myself crossing some streams quite often here in CO and its been too close for comfort a few times.

I would consider re gearing but my buddy has the 2012 with 35s and said its not really needed with the new 3.6L engine.

Last edited:

Holeshot

Banned
I would consider re gearing but my buddy has the 2012 with 35s and said its not really needed with the new 3.6L engine.

not unless you have 3.73 or 4.10!

My brother has 3.21 with 33's and it's way too fast. To be able to run the 6th speed, he needs to run around 70mph (110kmh), otherwise the engine's running too low and is hard on gas. Forget that for crawling, except if you have an auto.

JKBANDIT55

My brother has 3.21 with 33's and it's way too fast. To be able to run the 6th speed, he needs to run around 70mph (110kmh), otherwise the engine's running too low and is hard on gas. Forget that for crawling, except if you have an auto.

He has 3.21 gears with 35" MTRKs. Then again the MTRKs are a light tire. But I dont think re gearing should be priority yet. He should be able to be fine for a while. Lift or Bumpers with a winch would be my best bet. Or sliders.

SoCalDozer

Well I have 3.21's now and a 6 speed. and 6th is useless unless im going above 70. offroad I cant start going up a decent hill if I stop in the middle in high range unless I really slip the clutch a lot which I dont like doing.

I already have sliders and im using rubicon unlimited springs and shocks which ended up giving me a 2" lift compared to the soft factory springs.

And i disagree with the whole you wont be running difficult trails until you get larger tires thing. 33's have only 1" less ground clearance than 35's which most people run and mine is on a 2 dr. look at a samurai for example. one of those on 35's will follow a jeep anywhere lol.

I can clear 35's but I dont want to get 35's until I re gear so its a catch 22 for me.

My rig as it sits now
attachment.php

Last edited:

Donny

Lift and bottom skids!!(just noticed you have sliders):rock: Between Cali, AZ, Nevadiii...those two things will give you the highest bang for your dollar.

Donny

Last edited:

SoCalDozer

so just lift it then, you can see in the photo that I already have rocker protection... :thinking: unless you mean rocker skins as well as the rocker guards/sliders

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
so just lift it then, you can see in the photo that I already have rocker protection... :thinking: unless you mean rocker skins as well as the rocker guards/sliders

Nah, you got what you need. I would go with bumper and a winch then. Regearing is a big cost and one that you should save for until you get up on some bigger meats.

catahoula

Caught the Bug

Holeshot,

Can't remember where on forum I saw your rig but, I just wanted to say.....Very Nice!

Top Bottom