No inner fender?

Smoot_JK

So while waiting for my PSC flat fenders to finish up with paint, we chose to remove the stock flares including the inner fender. How bad is to to run the flats without an inner fender? Would there be future problems due to the everything being so open? Here's how it looks like now.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
Well, you get better cooling, that is for sure.

I was concerned about this also, but most experienced Jeepers seem to run without, especially when they have significant suspension modifications.

For example, the EVO double throw down system does not lend to the use of fender liners.

Smoot_JK

Since there aren't many water crossings on Guam, I don't have to worry about water so much. But ...when it rains, the trails here get extremely muddy. Obviously the exposed parts will get dirty, but I can live with that. I just don't want to have to worry about something getting F'd up because there's no inner fender.

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
I personally have not removed my liners (mainly because I like the look of my engine bay not being covered in mud:nono:) but all the guy's I know 'round here don't run their fender liners and never would again. Infact almost every time we do something on my rig anywhere near that area they give me shit asking me when I'm going to tear them out :Lol:

Coop

Caught the Bug
I kept mine too! Too much dang mud around here and cleaning up is a heck of a lot easier! Just trimmed them to clear and look half way decent.

DRTYRAT30

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1464545238.740505.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1464545260.870053.jpg

I kept mine front and rear, and trimmed to fit. Not sure if it's the right choice as far as performance/heat issues but it does offer a somewhat clean look and help with debris collection in hard to clean areas. I have put about 1k miles with them this way with no issues. I believe there is a good video on YouTube for trimming with flat fenders

Last edited:

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I kept my fronts, ditched the rears. Best photo I have. I can't see spending money on fancy ones. But i don't mind the trimmed factory fronts.

Attachments

• 1464561038341.jpg
    1464561038341.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 977
Metal cloak, DV8 and Ace make some nice aftermarket inner fender liners. But yes, they're pricey and factory dies just fine. I did the dv8s because I dominated my factory ones when I was taking them off. Haha

iRonin

Until recently, I've had no inner fenders for roughly 2 years which included hard wheeling in dust, mud, and deep water, without issue. I personally just got tired of seeing he exposed innards in all the flex pictures so I picked up some of the PS crusher inner liners.

Warebear

I've been wondering the same. I left my rears off, but just trimmed the fronts.
Looking behind the fronts, there is a lot of fancy looking electronics and connectors I'd rather not sling mud and rocks at. But I was also thinking there might be a good aftermarket solution to the inners? Even trimmed, they don't fit great.

FLKEYSJK

I agree with Warebear, I'm worried about slinging rocks and mud into my engine bay so I just cut my fronts and removed the rears.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
I did the same, cut the fronts and removed the rears. Same reason as above. I'm not concerned about mud or dirt but don't want to sling a rock into the engine compartment.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure where everyone gets the idea that you'd get mud and crap all over your engine by not having fender liners installed but I've never seen that to be the case - EVER. Of course, what would I know.

Warebear

I'm not worried so much about the engine bay, but some connectors and important looking boxes that sit directly behind the inner fenders. More behind the tire than above it. Not sure if it's different on newer year models or not.

Not sure where everyone gets the idea that you'd get mud and crap all over your engine by not having fender liners installed but I've never seen that to be the case - EVER. Of course, what would I know.

haha, very true. Eddy, have you never put inner liners on any of your built JK's? I have a set in the front, but I like the way it looks completely open. I live in Houston and was worried about rain and wet debris getting up under there which is why I put them in. If I can safely remove them I would do it in a heartbeat. I have narrow flat front fenders BTW.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
As Eddie mentioned the fenders don't really stop mud and such from getting in the engine bay. If it does just wash it out. That being said I still run my oem fender liners that I trimmed.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not worried so much about the engine bay, but some connectors and important looking boxes that sit directly behind the inner fenders. More behind the tire than above it. Not sure if it's different on newer year models or not.

Moby is a 2007 and Rubicat is a 2012 and neither are running fender liners. Not sure what important looking boxes you're referring to but, I haven't had any problems with what ever ones you're thinking of. Or, not that I know of anyway. :crazyeyes:

haha, very true. Eddy, have you never put inner liners on any of your built JK's? I have a set in the front, but I like the way it looks completely open. I live in Houston and was worried about rain and wet debris getting up under there which is why I put them in. If I can safely remove them I would do it in a heartbeat. I have narrow flat front fenders BTW.

Nope, haven't run fender liners on any of the 4 JK's that I've owned and built up.

DRTYRAT30

What would be the benefit of not running liners? Does it really help with cooling or is it better so you don't get mud trapped behind trimmed liners. Or just basically easier to ditch them. Just curious

Top Bottom