JKU shifter came apart

danno16jk

Yesterday my entire shifter assembly came apart. 16jku 6spd with only 9k on it. Went to shift into 2nd and the shifter came all the way down and smacked me in the thigh, I couldn't even grab second. The entire shifter lever just spins around on the rubber bushing and slides up and down on it. Going in to the dealer tomorrow. Anyone else have this problem?

Attachments

• 1464639633482.jpg
    1464639633482.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 279

Warebear

Lmao wow. Well that's a new one. I'm glad it only happened in 1st, so you couldn't have been going too fast! I don't think I've ever seen this problem. Someone at the plant forgot a bolt or something.

danno16jk

Lmao wow. Well that's a new one. I'm glad it only happened in 1st, so you couldn't have been going too fast! I don't think I've ever seen this problem. Someone at the plant forgot a bolt or something.

No bolt. Looks like the bushing is just pressed into the tube on the shifter lever with some adhesive. Wonderful Chrysler design

Warebear

Hm ok. Well I'm interested to see what the dealers explanation is, hope mine doesn't come off like that.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Mine has just started to "rattle" in the past 2 weeks or so... but this is the first I've seen this... :eek:

SoCalDozer

You can never escape corrosion. When i worked on helicopters I literally would have corrosion to remove every day.

And I never had any problems with my shifter when I had a manual.

wmeyer116

This is disconcerting, i have a 16 with 6.5k on it and my shifter or transmission rattles and clatters like hell at certain rpms or speeds and loads

danno16jk

Heard back from the dealer this afternoon. Dropped it off Tues morning. This must be an up and coming problem as they said they've done a few already and the whole shifter assembly is on national backorder until early next week. Well goodbye weekend plans with the boat, I'll be stuck in the crap rental for awhile I guess. They also said Chrysler is having them replace the entire assembly and the probably is going to be some sort of recall on it soon. Atleast I'm not paying for the rental and everything is under warranty.

danno16jk

Dealer is still waiting on the part. Been almost 2 full weeks on backorder. The service manager said they've had 3 more 16's come in this week for the same issue. Chrysler is going to be dishing out some cash big time fixing all this. I'm starting to get real annoyed, 2 weeks with no jeep, can't take the boat out now and Sunday there's an Ultimate Off-road jeep event 5 minutes from my house and I have no jeep.. bummer

Last edited:

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Dealer is still waiting on the part. Been almost 2 full weeks on backorder. The service manager said they've had 3 more 16's come in this week for the same issue. Chrysler going to be dishing out some cash big time fixing all this. I'm starting to get real annoyed, 2 weeks with no jeep, can't take the boat out now and Sunday there's an Ultimate Off-road jeep event 5 minutes from my house and I have no jeep.. bummer

Man that sucks I know how you feel. Mine ate a cam the week before the final weekend that one of the local ORV parks was open. Had to ride shotgun in my mates patrol instead.

FishsJK

If you're still jeep less I would go to the dealer and demand you want a new wrangler as a loaner. Either that or demand that they pull the part from one of their new vehicles. [emoji23]

danno16jk

Back in the jeep! If anyone's at the ultimate off-road event in CT this weekend I'll be the silver jku with a tank jku with aev lifts next to each other!😃

Top Bottom