Rancho RS5000

210JKU

Just wondering if anyone is running the Rancho RS5000 shocks on their rig and if so, how do you like them? Budget is a little tight otherwise I would definitely go for the 9000s or Bilsteins. I'm running a 2 inch level at the moment and the ride is a little rough w/the factory shocks. I appreciate any input. Thanks!

Dirt Foot

My opinion is that the rs5000 are a little stiff as well. I'm running 9000 and with the adjustability you can have it the way you want it. I'm running #3 in front and #4 in back which is softer than you can get the 5000's.

210JKU

Appreciate the info Dirt Foot. Looks like I'll deal w/the factory shocks until I can get the 9000s.

BeardedJK

I'm running that exact setup, level kit w/5000s and I have to agree with dirt foot. Not terrible by any means, but not the softest ride.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I have them. I think the ride is better than stock, in my opinion, but it isn't really soft.

DemCoconuts

I swapped them into my 2 door with 4 door Rubicon springs (something/59 rate). I think they work great. Greatly reduced body roll, and soaks up the bumps rear nice. I would recommend them for a good budget shock.

Only downside is that I want to hit everything faster!

USMC Wrangler

I have a little over 3000 miles on the 5000's. My perspective is that they took the sharp edge off compared to stock. I'm running the EVO leveling kit with these. For the price, I'm pretty happy with them.

SainT-314

I've got a 2.5 in lift, with a one inch body lift. Im running the RS5000 shocks for a 4 inch lift. With my O'Reilly discount they were like 40 bucks a piece.
Awesome shocks for the price!

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I've got a 2.5 in lift, with a one inch body lift. Im running the RS5000 shocks for a 4 inch lift. With my O'Reilly discount they were like 40 bucks a piece.
Awesome shocks for the price!

Why would you run such a long shock with only 2.5" of lift?

SainT-314

I really wanted to keep the lift height as low as I could, and the 4in shocks were only about 3/4 of an inch longer compressed than the ones for a 2 inch.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
I'm running a similar setup. 4" 9ks with 2.5" of lift in the front and 2" rear. [emoji106] I'm only running 33" tyres so didn't want to much lift.

SainT-314

What does shock length have to do with keeping your lift height low?

Well the extended length adds more droop, but that comes at the cost of a longer compressed length as well.

Say you have a 4 inch lift, well you could add 4 inches to your bumpstop and still have factory uptravel, without bottoming out a longer shock. Going back to the small lift, I cant add 4 inches of bumpstop, I would be riding on it going down the road. So the nice thing about the RS55531's is that, I can get this greater extended length, and therefore downtravel, while only extending my bumstops a small amount, retaining most of my uptravel, which means I have a greater amount of total wheel travel.

Or atleast that's how my redneck brain sees it! Hope that helps. :D

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Well the extended length adds more droop, but that comes at the cost of a longer compressed length as well.

Say you have a 4 inch lift, well you could add 4 inches to your bumpstop and still have factory uptravel, without bottoming out a longer shock. Going back to the small lift, I cant add 4 inches of bumpstop, I would be riding on it going down the road. So the nice thing about the RS55531's is that, I can get this greater extended length, and therefore downtravel, while only extending my bumstops a small amount, retaining most of my uptravel, which means I have a greater amount of total wheel travel.

You could add shocks for a 10" lift on factory suspension. Doesn't mean it's setup correctly. Your coils unseat with your setup guaranteed. It's not the correct setup.

Judesign

Caught the Bug
Yeah I get wanting more droop with lower center of gravity but If your shock extends beyond the coil length you'll probably loose a coil. Have you cycled the suspension?

I see what your trying to do in your head...i have the same Ky brain. But overlanders right. Theyre branded as 4" shocks for a reason. The key is finding the balance.

SainT-314

I will be the first to admit that I dont know much, and I knew less than that when I bought the jeep. Maybe the allure of wheel travel got me lol. I will say, fortunately my front axle does have spring retainers, and at full droop the rear springs do hang on, although i didn't have to pull too hard to remove them.

Top Bottom