Clutch pedal issue and leak...

rich67

Caught the Bug
So last night I get home from riding at my favorite mountain biking spot, and after cleaning off the bikes I go to pull into the garage. I notice the clutch pedal feels very loose and different than usual. I then notice I almost stall it getting into the garage because the clutch engagement point is now very close to the floor. I take it out for a test drive, notice it is tough to get into reverse, and notice that the pedal is spongy and consistently engages about an inch off the floor. Not good. I look underneath, and I see what looks like brake fluid coming from the area near the rear of the oil pan and coming out of the vent holes in the manual trans case (I am thinking the fluid is coming from the vent holes, but I cannot get too far up to see if it is coming from a location higher up). Not a drip, but there is also some fluid (brown/clear) on the catalytic converter hangar right next to it. Like I say, it isn't dripping out, but there clearly is something wrong. Is this a clutch slave that went out? The fluid level in the master brake cylinder looks good.

Last edited:

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Sounds like the clutch slave or line to it. It will leak a little every time you depress the clutch. Don't drive it till it is fixed, no fun when you lose your clutch completely. You can time shifts with rpm but once you stop your dead in the water.

rich67

Caught the Bug
So upon getting home and prepping to drive to my local Midas dealer, I get in the Jeep and the clutch pedal goes straight to the floor. I end up coasting it back down the driveway, and then put it in gear with the pedal back up. The Jeep lurches forward, but...I'm cruising now in 1st gear. I limped it across the street (good thing they are close by and not around major roadways) and got it in before they closed. They confirmed it was the slave. Should have it back by tomorrow. :)

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Glad you were able to get it there safely. Timing your shifts without a clutch takes some practice if you don't drive big trucks.

Top Bottom