Front springs rubbing on frame.

A.J.

Only happens when sway bars disconnected and under compression. Does it on both sides. I have been just ignoring it but after looking at others last weekend I am wondering if I need new springs. Mine are arched in toward frame more than others I see. No problem buying new ones if it will fix it, but don't want to waste the $ if it won't. Is this common? Gets pretty annoying on long bumpy downhills.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1464756884.778920.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1464756917.923948.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1464756942.893766.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1464756964.647034.jpg

A.J.

Have you got the tail on the bottom of the springs located correctly?

Yes I checked and double checked. I had a thought to switch sides, but they are indexed 180deg. so it would make no difference. They are older Rancho 4" springs. Dunno maybe a good excuse to try the plush rides. It would really suck to change and have the same problem though.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I was going to say is your axle centered, but being that it is on both sides, its strange for sure.

Jitsujeeper

Mine has done this for about 2 years now. Only on my driver side though. Only when disconnected and stretched out. Makes a hell of a "boing" sound.
I had it aligned and it helped for a while.

A.J.

Mine has done this for about 2 years now. Only on my driver side though. Only when disconnected and stretched out. Makes a hell of a "boing" sound.
I had it aligned and it helped for a while.

At least I am not alone. Lol! Yours could be track bar adjustment since it is only on one side. Thanks!

A.J.

So I have decided to just try new front springs. Since my original post about this I have installed a new bumper(quarter pounder with winch and stinger) which is just a bit heavier than the old one. Also removed rear bumper with tire carrier and installed evo fascia. I have the spare mounted inside and a trek top instead of the hard top. So the question then is do I just get same 4" Rancho front springs or 4" plush rides. My thinking is to do the plush rides in the front and see if it gets rid of the rake I currently have while eliminating the rubbing problem and leave the rear alone. I would like the front to come up a little, but do not want the rear any higher. Anyone else have a light rear and heavier front? Been down this path? I have even thought about doing 3" rear and 4" front plush rides. Has this been tried? Results?

A.J.

Don't say that!! Lol! I kinda doubt it but I suppose anything is possible. Seems like if it were bent to that degree it would be pretty visible. Cracked welds on the truss or c's or something. It is just a dana30 but it has the artec truss and skids and c's plus I wheel like a grandma. I don't remember jumping anything. The springs are from an old school Rancho 4"sport kit so they are the most likely(and cheapest) fix. I guess we'll see.

WJCO

Meme King
Don't say that!! Lol! I kinda doubt it but I suppose anything is possible. Seems like if it were bent to that degree it would be pretty visible. Cracked welds on the truss or c's or something. It is just a dana30 but it has the artec truss and skids and c's plus I wheel like a grandma. I don't remember jumping anything. The springs are from an old school Rancho 4"sport kit so they are the most likely(and cheapest) fix. I guess we'll see.

See if Matt from Rancho has ever heard of it. He's a sponsor on here. Strange indeed.

A.J.

Yeah Matt is great! We have been messaging back and forth about it. He was kinda stumped on it too so he talked to his guys at Rancho and it sounds like they are thinking springs also. I guess the only thing to do is try it.

A.J.

Ok problem solved I think. Replaced the springs and now have a lot more clearance between spring and frame. I went with 4" evo plush rides on the front. This also raised the front back up to level which is what I was hoping for. Had to adjust the drag link about 3/4 of a turn to center the steering wheel. Should be good to go!

Top Bottom