2013 WAYALIFE Kick Off Run Highlights

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I can't think of a better way to kick off the new year than to head out to the desert and do some exploring with some good friends. And, in the case of our very first run for 2013, that would be upwards of 100 friends riding in 49 Jeeps!! Along the way, we would make a stop over at the crash site of an XB-70 Valkyrie, visit the old town of Coolgardie, check out some petroglyphs near the Black Mountain Wilderness and have some fun out on a dry lake bed in the Superior Valley. Here are some pics from our epic overland trip - I hope you enjoy.

Meeting up with a majority of our group over at Bravo Burger...
main.php

More Jeeps down the way...
main.php

Even more Jeeps...
main.php

my_jk came representing nicely!!
main.php

After breakfast, we met up with the rest of our group in Barstow and aired down...
main.php

Time for a quick drivers meeting before heading out...
main.php

Lining up all 49 Jeeps and getting ready to head out...
main.php

On our way to the trail...
main.php

Oh yeah - pavement ends!!
main.php

And the dust begins...
main.php

Working our way through the Mojave...
main.php

main.php

main.php

Our first stop of the day was over at the crash site of an XB-70 Valkyrie super sonic bomber...
main.php

main.php

main.php

Here are a few pics of what this amazing plane looked like back in the day...
B-70 Valkyrie.jpg

north_american_xb70_kiallitva.jpg

XB-70-In-Flight.jpg

You can read about what happend to it here:
http://www.check-six.com/Crash_Sites/XB-70_crash_site.htm

Paying respects at a memorial errected for Major Carl Cross, one of two pilots who died in this crash...
main.php

main.php

On the move again...
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Our next stop was over at the old mining camp of Coolgardie. Named after a famous mine in Australia, this placer mine had originally been worked by Chinese laborers from the town of Calico as they weren't allowed to prospect in there. The last known resident of the area was a guy named Donald Kenney and he was buried near his cabin in 1995...
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Many of the deep shafts have been sealed but, there are still a lot of active claims in the area and you really have to watch your step...
main.php

main.php

main.php

More pics below...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Normally, we would have taken everyone out to Inscription Canyon but this year, we decided to head out to a lesser known panel of petroglyphs for our next stop...
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

On our way out to the final stop of the day...
main.php

And here we are...
main.php

Shots of everyone zipping across the playa...
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

4x4Jesus emerging from the dust...
main.php

Time to round everyone up for a group shot...
main.php

main.php

main.php

And here we are!! The official 2013 WAYALIFE Kick Off Run Crew...
main.php

main.php

main.php

Time to give away some WAYALIFE shot glasses!!
main.php

And the first pair went to the person who came out from the furthest location and that was ColorblindSpy who drove out from Texas to visit family but, took some time to join us too...
main.php

main.php

Next winner was for the first person to raise their hand who also happen to have a WAYALIFE windshield decal and, that would be mcpuck...
main.php

main.php

And, the last set of shot glasses went to the first person who could bring me back a tow strap from their Jeep which were about 100 yards away - and they're off!!
main.php

Here comes the first of many to head on back...
main.php

But wait, someone figured out it might be faster to drive back!!
main.php

main.php

In the end, Cali Cosmos still won...
main.php

But wait - Cali Cosmos is underage so I offered to give him a hoodie instead and he offered up the glasses to the next runner up...
main.php

And, that would be Tommy...
main.php

Time to head on out...
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Back on pavement before sundown and airing up...
main.php

And there you have it - an end to an awesome first run for 2013!!
main.php

A BIG thanks goes to all those who were able to join us on this amazing trip, Cindy and I had a great time with all of you. There are more pics to be seen and if you'd like to see them now, simply click on the link below:

2013 WAYALIFE Kick Off Run Photo Gallery

More pics of the run that others have posted up can be found here:

More Pics of the 2013 WAYALIFE Kick Off Run

I hope you'll be able to join us for another run in the near future :cool:

Moochie

Thanks for organizing this. Got to meet a bunch of new people and hang out with friends. It's always interesting to visit some new places in the desert.

my_jk

Great photos Cindy :thumb: I guess I had a window decal just in the wrong place :idontknow:

JAGS

Hooked
An awesome time and you always have such great photos. Thanks again for putting this together. :clap2:

RockyJk

Sweet pics was an awesome time cant wait for the next time! Oh and a shoutout to the one that aired me up didnt get your name but thanks (we were parked behind eddie)

JeepFan

Hooked
This was a great adventure! It was great seeing everyone. Thanks Eddie and Cindy for hosting another great event.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Great photos Cindy. Thanks again both of you for putting this together. Thanks to Eddie for leading and Moochie for bringing up the rear. Cheers! Until next time.

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Had a blast hanging out with friends and meeting others! Thanks for putting this together and future events guys!

Blonda

Had a great time :D and that was a HUGE group of Jeeps!! You did a good job of capturing all of them in those pics:thumb:

Top Bottom