Transfer case rebuild.

Jeep2010

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1464897786.947463.jpg
So I got the transfer case out of the jk and I was wondering if anybody has any advice in the rebuild process before I start it. I'm still awaiting a chain for it and want to make sure I have all the parts before I start the rebuild. Thanks in advanced!

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I would think its fairly simple to rebuild once you split apart the case. It sure didnt look very hard back when I was thinking about getting the 2wd low kit that a bad company sells.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
I haven't done a jk but they are pretty easy. The main thing to watch is too make sure both shafts go in dead straight with the new chain on or you can damage the case. New chains are a very tight fit.

Jeep2010

Thanks guys. I've been reading up on this just so nothing is much of a surprise but I always find that there are a few surprises you find that wasn't in the research lol.

Jeep2010

Alright so everything is actually going pretty smoothly. Haven't started taking seals and bearings out yet but my chain was about 1"-1.5" longer than my new chain so I'm happy it's that and not a gear. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1465008680.679842.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1465008708.970893.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1465008726.464968.jpg

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
Great work so far! I don't want to jinx it.

Thanks for sharing and good luck with the rest of the rebuild!

JeepJeep75

Looks like you are working your way though this nicely. That's a lot of stretch on the chain. What were the symptoms/problems you were having with it? How many miles were on it?

Jeep2010

Looks like you are working your way though this nicely. That's a lot of stretch on the chain. What were the symptoms/problems you were having with it? How many miles were on it?

It had just under 160k on it. When I was driving you could hear the chain (at least I believe it was the chain). But I believe the big problems were caused by the chain because there were a few bearings that just sounded like they had sand in it lol. But it was a clunky noise at first, then the faster you went the more constant the noise was. Then about 35 mph it was shaking everything. When I started taking the t case out there were bolts shaken loose and a few that were gone from the transmission bell house bracket thing that's in between the lower oil pan and trans. (Sorry I don't know what that piece is actually called) while I was driving on the highway there was a pop and the t case was shaking so bad that I got death wobble the vertical version lol.

JeepJeep75

It had just under 160k on it. When I was driving you could hear the chain (at least I believe it was the chain). But I believe the big problems were caused by the chain because there were a few bearings that just sounded like they had sand in it lol. But it was a clunky noise at first, then the faster you went the more constant the noise was. Then about 35 mph it was shaking everything. When I started taking the t case out there were bolts shaken loose and a few that were gone from the transmission bell house bracket thing that's in between the lower oil pan and trans. (Sorry I don't know what that piece is actually called) while I was driving on the highway there was a pop and the t case was shaking so bad that I got death wobble the vertical version lol.

Wow!! That was probably a bit nerve-raking to say the least. Hopefully with all the vibration it was causing it didn't damage other components like the drive shaft bearings on the t case end. Be sure to give all the rubber mounts a good look too. I was wondering what these t cases do when they are worn out. Looks like yours let you know loud and clear that there's a problem.

Jeep2010

I rather that than something perfectly fine one moment than dead the next lol. But I did check my drive shafts both front and rear. And among other things.

Jeep2010

Great work so far! I don't want to jinx it.

Thanks for sharing and good luck with the rest of the rebuild!

You just had to say it hahah. So here is a problem I'm having. I cannot get the planetary gear out of the transfer case. I've been putting a 2x4 on it and slamming it with a hammer for about 30-45 minutes and it hasn't moved at all. It should just slide right out yeah? Anybody have any bright ideas?

wmeyer116

I rebuilt my Dana 300 and twin sticked it, and I had to use a gear puller all the time on that thing. I'm not sure if you an use one for the planetary gear but if possible use that. Or position it in a press if you have one handy. Once you get that off, and assemble it again just make sure to thoroughly grease everything before assembly again.

Jeep2010

So I got the planetary gear out after taking the whole thing apart and I found the problem with the transfer case, the little housing around the planetary gear was split in two.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1465307967.663727.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1465307988.358018.jpg
So there is the culprit in the transfer case. Ordered a new front housing and it'll be all good to go.

JeepJeep75

Be sure to mount that "kill" on your garage wall or the side of your tool box. Years from now you can look at it and remember all the joy and frustration of your fix. I have a cracked syncro ring out of my 4 speed Muncie that I keep on my tool box. Rebuilding that was very fun pre-YouTube/forum era. It's so rewarding to find the definite cause of your problem. [emoji106]

Jeep2010

Be sure to mount that "kill" on your garage wall or the side of your tool box. Years from now you can look at it and remember all the joy and frustration of your fix. I have a cracked syncro ring out of my 4 speed Muncie that I keep on my tool box. Rebuilding that was very fun pre-YouTube/forum era. It's so rewarding to find the definite cause of your problem. [emoji106]

That's a good idea! I wish I had all my past breaks. I'm going to start doing that.

Top Bottom