Jeep Wrangler lift and tire questions!

SeanJK

I currently wheel a 97 wrangler so i decided its time for a little upgrade :)

I plan on buying a 2012 Rubi unlim, or Wrangler unlimited 30/44 sometime in the next few weeks and i want to order parts before i get her so that i can have everything set up and ready to install that day. I have a few questions though!

The minimum lift that I would go with is 3" and the biggest i would go is 4". I plan on using these flares http://www.jcwhitney.com/2007-2012-...fender-flares/p2023119d57149y2007-2012j1.jcwx .

What tires could i run with each lift? I would like to slap a pair of 35s or 37s on, 37x13.50R17 or 35x12.50R17 wrapped around AEV bead locks.

Also what are the best quality lift's that won't leave a huge hole in my pocket?

Thanks a lot any advice or criticism is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I currently wheel a 97 jk so i decided its time for a little upgrade :)

I plan on buying a 2012 Rubi unlim, or Wrangler unlimited 30/44 sometime in the next few weeks and i want to order parts before i get her so that i can have everything set up and ready to install that day. I have a few questions though!

The minimum lift that I would go with is 3" and the biggest i would go is 4". I plan on using these flares http://www.jcwhitney.com/2007-2012-...fender-flares/p2023119d57149y2007-2012j1.jcwx .

What tires could i run with each lift? I would like to slap a pair of 35s or 37s on, 37x13.50R17 or 35x12.50R17 wrapped around AEV bead locks.

Also what are the best quality lift's that won't leave a huge hole in my pocket?

Thanks a lot any advice or criticism is greatly appreciated!

With a set of flat fenders, you can practically run 35's with no lift at all on a JK and with 3"-4" of lift, you can easily run 37's. If budget is a concern, I would try and stick with 2.5"-3" of lift and just run 35's. The taller you go and the bigger tire you run the more expensive it'll get for you to do it right. Exactly what kind of a budget do you have to work with and does that include wheels/tire? That'll determine what you can and can't do.

SeanJK

With a set of flat fenders, you can practically run 35's with no lift at all on a JK and with 3"-4" of lift, you can easily run 37's. If budget is a concern, I would try and stick with 2.5"-3" of lift and just run 35's. The taller you go and the bigger tire you run the more expensive it'll get for you to do it right. Exactly what kind of a budget do you have to work with and does that include wheels/tire? That'll determine what you can and can't do.

I would like to spend around 1k on the lift and around 2.5k for both wheels and tires. Money isn't the biggest issue but I just want to make sure that I am getting the biggest bang for my buck

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I would like to spend around 1k on the lift and around 2.5k for both wheels and tires. Money isn't the biggest issue but I just want to make sure that I am getting the biggest bang for my buck

Unfotunately, you won't be able to get too much for a grand. If that's the most you're willing to go, I might recommend that you just get a 2.5" budget boost to go with your flat fenders and make sure to get either shock extensions or shocks that are short enough to prevent too much droop. Being that you have a 12, if you go any taller, you will have to replace your front drive shaft and that'll hit you up with another $450. Also, if you go 3" or more, you will want to address your steering geometry as well as caster.

If you're willing to spend more, say $2k, I would recommend something like an EVO MFG Enforcer kit. Yes, it's a bit pricery than other kits of the same lift height but, you'll get a much better ride.

SeanJK

Unfotunately, you won't be able to get too much for a grand. If that's the most you're willing to go, I might recommend that you just get a 2.5" budget boost to go with your flat fenders and make sure to get either shock extensions or shocks that are short enough to prevent too much droop. Being that you have a 12, if you go any taller, you will have to replace your front drive shaft and that'll hit you up with another $450. Also, if you go 3" or more, you will want to address your steering geometry as well as caster.

If you're willing to spend more, say $2k, I would recommend something like an EVO MFG Enforcer kit. Yes, it's a bit pricery than other kits of the same lift height but, you'll get a much better ride.

What size is the EVO MFG Enforcer kit? And will 37's look to small under a 3.5" lift with flat fenders?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What size is the EVO MFG Enforcer kit? And will 37's look to small under a 3.5" lift with flat fenders?

They don't go by lift size but rather, what tire size you can clear - 35" or 37". A 37 will look perfect with 3.5" of lift. It's what we run now on our Dozer JK.

main.php

SeanJK

They don't go by lift size but rather, what tire size you can clear - 35" or 37". A 37 will look perfect with 3.5" of lift. It's what we run now on our Dozer JK.

main.php

Thanks a ton for clearing all of that up, I'm def going to go EVO MFG Enforcer kit with 37's and flat fenders. I've learned from the past that it's better to pay up in the beginning and do it right than to be cheap and pay for it in the end!:thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks a ton for clearing all of that up, I'm def going to go EVO MFG Enforcer kit with 37's and flat fenders. I've learned from the past that it's better to pay up in the beginning and do it right than to be cheap and pay for it in the end!:thumb:

Just to clarify, what you're seeing in this pic is an EVO bolt on coil over kit set at 3.5" and running 37's. That kit's a bit more pricy but, the look is the same. The member MTG here has exactly what you're looking for and maybe he can post up a pic or two :yup:

Atch

If you're going with 37's that mean you're getting the rubi? If you're not there is another expense of a new axle or upgrade everything on the 30 & hope & pray it holds up!

SeanJK

If you're going with 37's that mean you're getting the rubi? If you're not there is another expense of a new axle or upgrade everything on the 30 & hope & pray it holds up!

I read somewhere that you could do up to 35's on a dana 30 as long as god plays a part of holding her together haha :blush:

Atch

I read somewhere that you could do up to 35's on a dana 30 as long as god plays a part of holding her together haha :blush:

Yep, I just seen you talking about 37's so I wanted to make sure you were aware

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
You can run 52's on a 30. It just depends on how much your going to wheel and how many days or hours it will hold up. If your not going to be doing hardcore wheeling then the 30 will last for a bit if properly equipped and beefed up.

Top Bottom