New Rear Axles Now Throwing Codes

blackrubi14

2014 JKUR, I installed Revolution axle shafts in the rear and now I'm getting three codes and the jeep is pretty much non driveable. When shifting from park to drive, it's like its in 4-lo and will barley move. The brake light is on along with the check engine, ABS and traction control. I did have to replace the right rear sensor.

Codes:
U140B
U140C
P0501

Any ideas?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Without looking up the codes, it sounds to me like you're having speed sensor related problems. I would start by double checking the connectors.

blackrubi14

Without looking up the codes, it sounds to me like you're having speed sensor related problems. I would start by double checking the connectors.

All the connections feel good.
U140B is left rear implausible wheel speed received
U140C same as above but right rear
P0501 vehicle speed sensor 1 performance.

I can give it gas and it just revs up like the brake is on or something.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I just did that, same codes. I wouldn't think that both sensors would go bad by just changing axles, but I guess it's possible. Maybe just replace the sensors?

Disconnect your battery for about 20 mins then try again. Usually that works since it resets the computer

blackrubi14

I was able get rid of one code and the brake light finally went off, when that brake light was on, the jeep was un driveable. I am to drive it now, only lights that are still on are the ABS and traction control. That's doable.

I'll let it sit with the battery unplugged and see if that helps, thanks for you guys input, much appreciated!

blackrubi14

I drove the jeep about 50 miles today, ABS and traction control lights are still on, and the left rear is leaking pretty bad. I pulled the axle back out and the seal looks perfect. I cleaned everything and re installed the axle ever so gently. I will drive it to work tomorrow, hopefully it won't leak!

JTPhoto JK

That just doesn't sound right. A fresh instal should not leak. Are you sure the axles are seated all the way in the splines? Did you check axle length against the old ones to make sure your new ones are correct.

blackrubi14

Yes, I made sure I had the right axle for each side. You're right, it isn't right, I was pretty surprised when I saw fluid on my wheel. I reinstalled but have not driven it yet, I'll see tomorrow, hopefully it's good to go. For the codes, I wonder how sensitive the sensors are to touch, maybe I damaged one, or both, in the process of replacing the axles......

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Hmm that's strange, unless the sensors got damaged but that just doesn't sense that both would go.

Only one sensor needs to be bad to have the lights on.

Op I would see if you can get a scan tool on your jeep at this point and see what sensor is throwing the code

blackrubi14

Op I would see if you can get a scan tool on your jeep at this point and see what sensor is throwing the code

After cleaning the sensors again and letting it sit overnight, the lights went off about 100 yds from my driveway, no more codes. And after driving the jeep this morning, so far, no leaks.

Thanks for everyone's input!

blackrubi14

Cleared all codes, 2 miles from the house on the way to work yesterday it throws a code for the left rear (U140B) so, at least I know something is up with that left rear sensor. Go to leave work today and take a look underneath, left rear leaking gear oil.

Now, this is getting frustrating, pulled the axle back out this evening, seal looks great. I get the stock axle to compare the two. From the flange that holds houses the wheel studs, the tone ring is an 1/8th of an inch difference, I decided to put the stock axle back on and the sensor is damn near touching the tone ring, whereas it was probably a 1/4" from the tone ring on the new axle, and it lines up perfect on the old axle as far as coverage.

What are the chances that the tone ring and bearing isn't pressed on correctly on the new axle? Also, these axles come without the studs installed, the drivers side already had the studs installed, which I thought was odd, but everything else appeared untouched.

Also, these axles come without the studs installed, the drivers side already had the studs installed, which I thought was odd, but everything else appeared untouched.

Who did you get the axles through? I just did revolution gear axles a few weeks ago. I got them through Trail Jeeps. You're correct that they ship from the factory without the studs installed. Sounds like you have at least one axle shaft that was previously installed and returned to the vendor- probably for the exact reasons you're describing.

The studs come on a card like this:
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1465455144.512639.jpg
If the five studs that go to the other axle were loose in the box, that's more evidence that the shafts were previously installed.

If your factory shaft works, doesn't throw codes and there's no leakage, I'd say that it's pretty obvious the one shaft is defective or for a different axle configuration than what you have.

blackrubi14

Who did you get the axles through? I just did revolution gear axles a few weeks ago. I got them through Trail Jeeps. You're correct that they ship from the factory without the studs installed. Sounds like you have at least one axle shaft that was previously installed and returned to the vendor- probably for the exact reasons you're describing.

The studs come on a card like this:
View attachment 207458
If the five studs that go to the other axle were loose in the box, that's more evidence that the shafts were previously installed.

If your factory shaft works, doesn't throw codes and there's no leakage, I'd say that it's pretty obvious the one shaft is defective or for a different axle configuration than what you have.

I bought the axles from Amazon and they shipped via a third party, I spoke with Revolution yesterday evening and gave them all the info, I am waiting to hear back from them as to what is the best direction to go from here.

The wheel studs that were not installed came in a yellow bag, loose. I'm thinking the same as you, at least the drivers side was previously installed, and most likely returned for the same reasons I'm describing. My ABS light is still on, but I only drove it about ten miles from the house to work, I know sometimes it can take a bit of a drive for it to reset, but, so far, no leaks.........

I bought the axles from Amazon and they shipped via a third party, I spoke with Revolution yesterday evening and gave them all the info, I am waiting to hear back from them as to what is the best direction to go from here.

The wheel studs that were not installed came in a yellow bag, loose. I'm thinking the same as you, at least the drivers side was previously installed, and most likely returned for the same reasons I'm describing. My ABS light is still on, but I only drove it about ten miles from the house to work, I know sometimes it can take a bit of a drive for it to reset, but, so far, no leaks.........

I hope Revolution comes through for you. As I said, I got mine through Trail Jeeps and they were pretty decent as far as customer service.

Regarding the ABS light, I started a thread asking for help for the same issue.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?37022-Need-a-hand-ABS-amp-Traction-control-lights-on

Once I did the battery thing and drove it, I only needed to go about half a block before my lights reset. They have been off since. So it's probable that the tone ring is not being picked up by the sensor. You said you thought it was mis-aligned, right? You're probably right.

Hope Revolution helps you out.

Top Bottom