Discrete Ram Ball Phone Mount (plus weekend bonus)

Frydaddy

Ive seen a few people put these Ram Ball mounts in the faux allen bolt on the oh-sh*t handle.
I liked how discrete it was and wanted to make it so it could be easily reversible to stock.

The obligatory finished product first. It will hold an old smartphone running Torque (OBDII) and offline Google Maps for trails.
IMG_20160604_173505056.jpg

Here is the layout for mounting, I used a narrow screw so it would not ruin the plastic if i wanted to put the fake bolt back in.
IMG_20160604_173801909_HDR.jpg

You can see here that it is not so easy because the fake bolt doesn't even line up with the actual mounting bolt.
There is a small slit in the plastic here. use a dremel tool to cut out a small tab of plastic, then use your selected screw to make a hole.
IMG_20160604_173910871.jpg

If I had the motivation, I would use the included large allen bolts. This would require cutting a larger hole just below where the screw comes through, and epoxy a large nut in place for the bolt to grab on to.
IMG_20160604_174103398.jpg

BONUS PROJECTS!!

As you can tell, I am extremely hesitant to put new holes in my new (-ish) jeep, but I knew I needed power in the rear. The auto outlets are wierdly spaced to fit around the roll bar and tub. I used some Horror Freight 6 gauge jumper cables to route power back to the 700W inverter. I might add Anderson plugs for the Jump Box and jumper cables.
IMG_20160604_184347678.jpg

I had this Horror Freight battery box with an air compressor. The whole thing was bulky and looked crappy, but it works fine for my needs so far. So i decided to build it all into an ammo can, I used rubber tube to strap the battery in place, and there's even enough room to store my tire plugs and misc.
jump-starter1-300x300.jpg
IMG_20160604_173449918.jpg

What do you guys think? Are there any other places to add a Ram Ball mount. These things are cool, i like how versatile they are.
Where are you guys mounting your Ham (or CB) microphone mounts?

Cool. Ram has awesome stuff. I have one of their shorty ball mounts and I have it mounted on my grab handle.

Attachments

• 1465184565357.jpg
    1465184565357.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 143

mastrcruse

Do you have to order the stuff from Ram's website or is there a particular "local" store that carries a lot of these accessories? I'm looking for a mount that will hold onto the windshield bar on my cage and it looks like ram is the only one that really makes something.

Desertman

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1465231529.994318.jpg I tried using the ball mount but it would not support the iPad mount. I got the yoke mount that uses a hose clip with a rubber sleeve. It can be removed and returned to stock with no issues. I have used this for the last few months on rock crawling and high speed desert driving

Frydaddy

Do you have to order the stuff from Ram's website or is there a particular "local" store that carries a lot of these accessories? I'm looking for a mount that will hold onto the windshield bar on my cage and it looks like ram is the only one that really makes something.

I've been hooked on Amazon the last few years. Here's Ram Mounts Store front.
http://www.amazon.com/Ram-Mount/b/ref=bl_dp_s_web_2599345011?ie=UTF8&node=2599345011&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=Ram+Mount
Two day shipping is a real treat. Heck, i've received packages in less than 24 hours 'cause there's a distribution center right here in Phoenix.

Top Bottom