Jeep jk died

Jay_r24

Left home for work, my jeep started fine. Turned it off at the gas station now it will not turn back over. Doesn't seem to be the battery, all lights turn on, tried to jump it but nothing. The red lightning bolt on the dash stays on for about 30 seconds then turns off. Any ideas what is happening?

Kalums

Just because the battery has voltage does not mean it has enough amperage, lights, radio, etc can all turn on but if there's no amperage.... You are dead in the water

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Is it safe to assume you have an early model JK? Like a 2007-10? Back then, we saw this happen a few times to a few different people. It's been a while but if I recall, it was an issue with the TIPM.

WJCO

Meme King
Symptoms sound like a starter but I'm not sure about the lightning bolt MIL. Use a hammer and tap on the starter lightly. See if there are any changes.

Judesign

Caught the Bug
This actually happened to me once years ago. I was at a gas station too. I was about to call a friend for a tow and tried it one more time and it just kicked off like nothing. Found out later the battery was going kaput. Even though your lights are on if the amps are low enough it won't kick the starter. I'd start there.

Jay_r24

This actually happened to me once years ago. I was at a gas station too. I was about to call a friend for a tow and tried it one more time and it just kicked off like nothing. Found out later the battery was going kaput. Even though your lights are on if the amps are low enough it won't kick the starter. I'd start there.

Reply, thank you. I ditched it and took my wife's car, luckily I was within walking distance of home. I will try this when I get home.

Drdiesel1

Get.png
Possible Causes
BATTERY CABLE HIGH RESISTANCE
BATTERY CABLES
TRANSMISSION IS NOT READING THE PROPER RANGE (AUTO) OR CLUTCH SWITCH IS NOT READING THE PROPER STATUS (MANUAL)
OPEN FUSED BATTERY (+) CIRCUIT
STARTER COIL DRIVER (INTERNAL TIPM)
SKREEM CODES PRESENT
STARTER MOTOR
STARTER RELAY
(T752) STARTER RELAY CONTROL CIRCUIT OPEN
(T752) STARTER RELAY CONTROL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE
(T750) STARTER RELAY OUTPUT CIRCUIT OPEN
MECHANICAL PROBLEM
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE
Diagnostic Test

1.BATTERY CABLES

NOTE: The battery must be fully charged before diagnosing a no crank condition.
1. Turn the ignition off.
2. Inspect the battery cables for corrosion, looseness or other problems.

Is there evidence of problems?

Yes
Repair as necessary. Perform the PCM VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure).
No
Go To 2

2.CHECK THE BATTERY CABLES FOR HIGH RESISTANCE
1. Using the service information, check the battery cables for high resistance.

Did either battery cable have a voltage drop greater than 0.2 Volt?

Yes
Replace the battery cable(s). Perform the PCM VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure).
No
Go To 3

3.TIPM CAN BUS CODES PRESENT
1. With the scan tool, read the TIPM DTCs.

NOTE: If there are CAN BUS related problems the TIPM will not supply power to the Starter Relay coil.

Does the scan tool display any CAN Bus related DTCs in the TIPM?

Yes
(Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Totally Integrated Power (TIPM) - Diagnosis and Testing) for problems related to CAN Bus communication. Perform the PCM VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure).
No
Go To 4

4.CHECK THE TRANSMISSION OR CLUTCH STATUS

NOTE: If there are DTCs related to the Clutch switch or Neutral Safety Switch, perform the diagnostic procedure for those DTCs before continuing.
1. With the scan tool, read the status of the Transmission range (Auto) or Clutch Switch position (Manual).

NOTE: The Auto Transmission must be in Park/Neutral position and the Manual Transmission Clutch Switch must read Clutch depressed in order for the engine to crank.

Does the scan tool display as described above?

Yes
Go To 5
No
Diagnose and repair the Park/Neutral or Clutch Switch failure. Perform the PCM VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure).

5.CHECKING STARTER OPERATION

2. Remove the Starter Relay from the TIPM.

WARNING: THE TRANSMISSION MUST BE IN NEUTRAL AND THE PARK BRAKE MUST BE SET FOR THIS TEST.

WARNING: THE ENGINE MAY CRANK IN THE NEXT STEP. WHEN THE ENGINE IS CRANKING, DO NOT STAND IN A DIRECT LINE WITH THE FAN. DO NOT PUT YOUR HANDS NEAR THE PULLEYS, BELTS OR FAN. DO NOT WEAR LOOSE CLOTHING.
3. Momentarily jumper Starter Relay connector cavities 30 and 87 in the TIPM connector.

Did the engine crank?

Yes
Go To 6
No
Go To 11

6.STARTER RELAY
1. Install a known good relay in place of the Starter Relay.
2. Attempt to start the engine.

Does the engine crank?

Yes
Replace the Starter Relay. Perform the PCM VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure).
No
Go To 7

7.CHECK THE PCM POWERS AND GROUNDS
1. (Refer to 29 - Non-DTC Diagnostics/Drivability - Diesel - Diagnosis and Testing) and perform the Checking the PCM POWER AND GROUND diagnostic procedure.

Were any problem found with the PCM powers and grounds?

Yes
Repair as necessary. Perform the PCM VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure).
No
Go To 8

8.CHECK THE STARTER COIL DRIVE CIRCUIT (INTERNAL TIPM)

3. Using a 12-Volt test light connected to ground, check the Starter Coil Driver circuit in the Starter Relay connector while turning the ignition switch to the START position.

Does the test light illuminate with the ignition switch in the START position?

Yes
Go To 9
No
Check the TIPM ignition supply circuits and fuses. If TIPM fuses and ignition supply circuits are ok, replace the TIPM. Perform the PCM VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure).

9.CHECK THE (T752) STARTER RELAY CONTROL CIRCUIT FOR A SHORT TO VOLTAGE

2. Disconnect the PCM harness connectors.
3. Remove the ASD Relay from the TIPM.
4. Using a jumper wire, connect ASD Relay connector cavities 30 and 87 in the TIPM.
5. Turn the ignition on.
6. Measure the voltage of the (T752) Starter Relay Control circuit.

Is the voltage above 1.0 volt?

Yes
Repair the (T752) Starter Relay Control circuit for a short to voltage. Perform the PCM VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure).
No
Go To 10

10.CHECK THE (T752) STARTER RELAY CONTROL CIRCUIT FOR AN OPEN

2. Remove the jumper wire and install the ASD Relay.
3. Measure the resistance of the (T752) Starter Relay Control circuit between the PCM harness connector and the Starter Relay connector in the TIPM.

Is the resistance below 5.0 ohms?

Yes
Replace the Powertrain Control Module in accordance with the service information. Perform the PCM VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure).
No
Repair the (T752) Starter Relay Control circuit for an open. Perform the PCM VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure).

11.CHECK THE FUSED B(+) CIRCUIT FOR AN OPEN

1. Using a 12-Volt test light connected to ground, check the Fused B(+) circuit in the Starter Relay connector in the TIPM.

Is the test light illuminated and bright?

Yes
Go To 12
No
Repair the Fused B(+) circuit for an open. Perform the PCM VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure).

12.CHECK THE (T750) STARTER RELAY OUTPUT CIRCUIT FOR AN OPEN

1. Disconnect the (T750) Starter Relay Output wire from the Starter Solenoid.
2. Connect the (T750) Starter Relay Output wire (at the Starter) to ground.
3. Using a 12-Volt test light connected to 12-Volts, check the (T750) Starter Relay Output circuit at the Starter Relay connector in the TIPM.

Does the test light illuminate brightly?

Yes
Go To 13
No
Repair the (T750) Starter Relay Output circuit for an open. Perform the PCM VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure).

Last edited:

Jay_r24

Is it safe to assume you have an early model JK? Like a 2007-10? Back then, we saw this happen a few times to a few different people. It's been a while but if I recall, it was an issue with the TIPM.

Symptoms sound like a starter but I'm not sure about the lightning bolt MIL. Use a hammer and tap on the starter lightly. See if there are any changes.

View attachment 206989
Possible Causes
BATTERY CABLE HIGH RESISTANCE
BATTERY CABLES
TRANSMISSION IS NOT READING THE PROPER RANGE (AUTO) OR CLUTCH SWITCH IS NOT READING THE PROPER STATUS (MANUAL)
OPEN FUSED BATTERY (+) CIRCUIT
STARTER COIL DRIVER (INTERNAL TIPM)
SKREEM CODES PRESENT
STARTER MOTOR
STARTER RELAY
(T752) STARTER RELAY CONTROL CIRCUIT OPEN
(T752) STARTER RELAY CONTROL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE
(T750) STARTER RELAY OUTPUT CIRCUIT OPEN
MECHANICAL PROBLEM
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE
Diagnostic Test

1.BATTERY CABLES

NOTE: The battery must be fully charged before diagnosing a no crank condition.
2. Inspect the battery cables for corrosion, looseness or other problems.

Is there evidence of problems?

Yes
No
Go To 2

2.CHECK THE BATTERY CABLES FOR HIGH RESISTANCE
1. Using the service information, check the battery cables for high resistance.

Did either battery cable have a voltage drop greater than 0.2 Volt?

Yes
Replace the battery cable(s). Perform the PCM VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure).
No
Go To 3

3.TIPM CAN BUS CODES PRESENT
1. With the scan tool, read the TIPM DTCs.

NOTE: If there are CAN BUS related problems the TIPM will not supply power to the Starter Relay coil.

Does the scan tool display any CAN Bus related DTCs in the TIPM?

Yes
(Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Totally Integrated Power (TIPM) - Diagnosis and Testing) for problems related to CAN Bus communication. Perform the PCM VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure).
No
Go To 4

4.CHECK THE TRANSMISSION OR CLUTCH STATUS

NOTE: If there are DTCs related to the Clutch switch or Neutral Safety Switch, perform the diagnostic procedure for those DTCs before continuing.
1. With the scan tool, read the status of the Transmission range (Auto) or Clutch Switch position (Manual).

NOTE: The Auto Transmission must be in Park/Neutral position and the Manual Transmission Clutch Switch must read Clutch depressed in order for the engine to crank.

Does the scan tool display as described above?

Yes
Go To 5
No
Diagnose and repair the Park/Neutral or Clutch Switch failure. Perform the PCM VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure).

5.CHECKING STARTER OPERATION

WARNING: THE TRANSMISSION MUST BE IN NEUTRAL AND THE PARK BRAKE MUST BE SET FOR THIS TEST.

WARNING: THE ENGINE MAY CRANK IN THE NEXT STEP. WHEN THE ENGINE IS CRANKING, DO NOT STAND IN A DIRECT LINE WITH THE FAN. DO NOT PUT YOUR HANDS NEAR THE PULLEYS, BELTS OR FAN. DO NOT WEAR LOOSE CLOTHING.
3. Momentarily jumper Starter Relay connector cavities 30 and 87 in the TIPM connector.

Did the engine crank?

Yes
Go To 6
No
Go To 11

6.STARTER RELAY
1. Install a known good relay in place of the Starter Relay.
2. Attempt to start the engine.

Does the engine crank?

Yes
Replace the Starter Relay. Perform the PCM VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure).
No
Go To 7

7.CHECK THE PCM POWERS AND GROUNDS
1. (Refer to 29 - Non-DTC Diagnostics/Drivability - Diesel - Diagnosis and Testing) and perform the Checking the PCM POWER AND GROUND diagnostic procedure.

Were any problem found with the PCM powers and grounds?

Yes
No
Go To 8

8.CHECK THE STARTER COIL DRIVE CIRCUIT (INTERNAL TIPM)

3. Using a 12-Volt test light connected to ground, check the Starter Coil Driver circuit in the Starter Relay connector while turning the ignition switch to the START position.

Does the test light illuminate with the ignition switch in the START position?

Yes
Go To 9
No
Check the TIPM ignition supply circuits and fuses. If TIPM fuses and ignition supply circuits are ok, replace the TIPM. Perform the PCM VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure).

9.CHECK THE (T752) STARTER RELAY CONTROL CIRCUIT FOR A SHORT TO VOLTAGE

2. Disconnect the PCM harness connectors.
3. Remove the ASD Relay from the TIPM.
4. Using a jumper wire, connect ASD Relay connector cavities 30 and 87 in the TIPM.
5. Turn the ignition on.
6. Measure the voltage of the (T752) Starter Relay Control circuit.

Is the voltage above 1.0 volt?

Yes
Repair the (T752) Starter Relay Control circuit for a short to voltage. Perform the PCM VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure).
No
Go To 10

10.CHECK THE (T752) STARTER RELAY CONTROL CIRCUIT FOR AN OPEN

2. Remove the jumper wire and install the ASD Relay.
3. Measure the resistance of the (T752) Starter Relay Control circuit between the PCM harness connector and the Starter Relay connector in the TIPM.

Is the resistance below 5.0 ohms?

Yes
Replace the Powertrain Control Module in accordance with the service information. Perform the PCM VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure).
No
Repair the (T752) Starter Relay Control circuit for an open. Perform the PCM VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure).

11.CHECK THE FUSED B(+) CIRCUIT FOR AN OPEN

1. Using a 12-Volt test light connected to ground, check the Fused B(+) circuit in the Starter Relay connector in the TIPM.

Is the test light illuminated and bright?

Yes
Go To 12
No
Repair the Fused B(+) circuit for an open. Perform the PCM VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure).

12.CHECK THE (T750) STARTER RELAY OUTPUT CIRCUIT FOR AN OPEN

1. Disconnect the (T750) Starter Relay Output wire from the Starter Solenoid.
2. Connect the (T750) Starter Relay Output wire (at the Starter) to ground.
3. Using a 12-Volt test light connected to 12-Volts, check the (T750) Starter Relay Output circuit at the Starter Relay connector in the TIPM.

Does the test light illuminate brightly?

Yes
Go To 13
No
Repair the (T750) Starter Relay Output circuit for an open. Perform the PCM VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure).

Just an update for everyone, when I put the key in the ignition and turned it to power everything on I could hear a click coming from under the hood, without trying to crank the engine. I found it was coming from the fuse box, The relays to be exact. I pulled the two relays, scratched up the connectors with sandpaper and it started right up. Anyone have any experience with these relays going out? I have a lightbar two pods and a stereo hooked up.

Pyro1415

Just an update for everyone, when I put the key in the ignition and turned it to power everything on I could hear a click coming from under the hood, without trying to crank the engine. I found it was coming from the fuse box, The relays to be exact. I pulled the two relays, scratched up the connectors with sandpaper and it started right up. Anyone have any experience with these relays going out? I have a lightbar two pods and a stereo hooked up.

What type of relays and how are you powering your light bar, pods and stereo(I assume amp)?

Drdiesel1

Yep! If you're thinking about replacing them, buy OEM only. Don't buy cheap china junk from the parts stores.
It sounds like you have high resistance from corrosion on the terminals contacts and blades. I would get some
contact spray cleaner and some dielectric grease and clean up the terminals and blades as best as possible,
without damaging the terminal tension. Don't stick anything into the fuse block terminals. Just use the contact
cleaner and a brush to clean them and treat them with dielectric grease. This should correct the problem, unless
it's TIPM issue. I would start with the cleanup and protection phase first. Then move to the relay replacement second.

Exodus 4x4

Yep! If you're thinking about replacing them, buy OEM only. Don't buy cheap china junk from the parts stores.
It sounds like you have high resistance from corrosion on the terminals contacts and blades. I would get some
contact spray cleaner and some dielectric grease and clean up the terminals and blades as best as possible,
without damaging the terminal tension. Don't stick anything into the fuse block terminals. Just use the contact
cleaner and a brush to clean them and treat them with dielectric grease. This should correct the problem, unless
it's TIPM issue. I would start with the cleanup and protection phase first. Then move to the relay replacement second.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=36411

Jay_r24

What type of relays and how are you powering your light bar, pods and stereo(I assume amp)?

I have them connected str8 to the battery terminals. The two that I replaced are the relays in the K1 and K2 position, I have to check the exact type of relays.

Jay_r24

I appreciate it, this is the approach I will be taking.

teamahh

I have had this same issue for some time now. Every once in a while, I will go to start up, and I will get an initial single crank of the engine, but it would not actually start. The lightning bolt will pop up. And game over...I would just usually wait 5-10 seconds and it would start right up after that. It was more of a nuisance than anything.

Only one time it really was a problem, I was in line for a ferry and it wouldn't start. It took me about 30-45 seconds to start. And this is at the point where people are starting to go around me to board the ferry. Pretty embarrassing. The ferry crew came up and asked if I needed a jump.

I have a 2008 Jeep JKUR
I will give the TIPM diagnostic steps a try. It would be nice not to run into this nuisance problem again!

Top Bottom