New jeep oil change and consumption question?

Byte

So I changed the oil in my 2015 JKURHR yesterday for the first time. Mileage read 6655. Initial msg to 'change oil soon' came on at about 6200 and read 5% oil life remaining. 'Oil change required' came up at just about 6600. All of the oil that came out fit into the 5qt bottle easily. Looks like there may have been 5.25 qts or a bit less. Can I expect the jeep to be using over 3/4 of a qt between changes? I know high mileage engines easily burn through a qt or more but these new engines? That's unexpected if so.

The filter cap was kind of a bitch to thread back in being plastic to plastic thread. I just snugged it down to where the gap under the lip disappeared. With such a long thread surface and the big o-ring at the top there shouldn't be any leaking unless oil pressure is incredibly high and I'd think it'd come out the dipstick well long before it comes out of the filter cap. Hard to believe the engineers would make such a vital service point out of plastic... But I am thankful I don't have to crawl underneath and pull an old school screw on filter off the block! Oil rain is the worst. :tearsdrip:

On viscosity, are any of you with 2014+ jeeps in hot parts of the country running 5w-30 instead of the 5w-20 printed on the cap? I have always run a step up in viscosity or weight during the hot summer months. I chose the 5w-30 Castrol GTX Magnatec which is a synthetic blend vs their 5w-20 which is full synthetic. I've used Castrl GTX in all my vehicles for nearly 3 decades. At just $7/qt single and $6/qt in bulk it is a very affordable oil change for a blend. Dealer sold me MOPAR filters for $9/ea. Interested in other people perspective.

All in all, I have to say the JK has been the fastest and easiest oil change I've ever had the privilege to do. Now I'm not looking forward at all to the 100,000 full fluid change coming up for the Tacoma! Oh yeah, not something I'm proud to admit but nothing has been changed other than the oil...I am curious to see how the diff fluids held up. Truck had a number of deep water crossings early on in its life. :icon_crazy:

Drdiesel1

New engines use oil during break-in. I wouldn't wait more than 3K miles to do the first oil change
and wouldn't go past 5K. Unless, I was using full synthetic oil. Conventional oil just wont stand up
past that mileage interval and it will cause the oil to cook/bake inside the engine, IMO :twocents: YMMV!

I just changed mine for the first time and 2600 miles and it had visible metal particles from the break-in.
I haven't cut the filter yet, but I plan to this week just to see how much it trapped. The oil was pretty dark too.

Last edited:

Drdiesel1

Usually people that earn their own special bitch thread the way you did go away.

Maybe you should take your own advice, bitch :cheesy:
You haven't posted one fucking worthwhile post since I've been here. All you do is cry like the little bitch you are
and repost that thread. Get a fucking life asswipe. Who fucking cares besides you, LOL!

Last edited:

JoeB-JKURX

Oil Filter Cap

So I changed the oil in my 2015 JKURHR yesterday for the first time. Mileage read 6655. Initial msg to 'change oil soon' came on at about 6200 and read 5% oil life remaining. 'Oil change required' came up at just about 6600. All of the oil that came out fit into the 5qt bottle easily. Looks like there may have been 5.25 qts or a bit less. Can I expect the jeep to be using over 3/4 of a qt between changes? I know high mileage engines easily burn through a qt or more but these new engines? That's unexpected if so.

The filter cap was kind of a bitch to thread back in being plastic to plastic thread. I just snugged it down to where the gap under the lip disappeared. With such a long thread surface and the big o-ring at the top there shouldn't be any leaking unless oil pressure is incredibly high and I'd think it'd come out the dipstick well long before it comes out of the filter cap. Hard to believe the engineers would make such a vital service point out of plastic... But I am thankful I don't have to crawl underneath and pull an old school screw on filter off the block! Oil rain is the worst. :tearsdrip:

On viscosity, are any of you with 2014+ jeeps in hot parts of the country running 5w-30 instead of the 5w-20 printed on the cap? I have always run a step up in viscosity or weight during the hot summer months. I chose the 5w-30 Castrol GTX Magnatec which is a synthetic blend vs their 5w-20 which is full synthetic. I've used Castrl GTX in all my vehicles for nearly 3 decades. At just $7/qt single and $6/qt in bulk it is a very affordable oil change for a blend. Dealer sold me MOPAR filters for $9/ea. Interested in other people perspective.

All in all, I have to say the JK has been the fastest and easiest oil change I've ever had the privilege to do. Now I'm not looking forward at all to the 100,000 full fluid change coming up for the Tacoma! Oh yeah, not something I'm proud to admit but nothing has been changed other than the oil...I am curious to see how the diff fluids held up. Truck had a number of deep water crossings early on in its life. :icon_crazy:

I'd have changed the oil in the new engine pretty long before 6000 miles. I had free oil changes at the dealer for the first year and the first change was at 2000, second at 4000 - and I've done mine myself since using full synthetic (usually buy Royal Purple at Walmart when it is on sale for less than $30 for 5-quart jug) and K&N high flow oil filters at about 4000 mile intervals. As to the filter cap, I make sure I put clean oil on the O-ring and use a socket (23 mm I believe). When I first went to change oil, I tried using a crescent wrench and found it wanted to round off the hex - went to the socket instead. With the O-ring, you don't really have to snug down the cap much (just close the gap).

Ddays

Hooked
Hahahah - this thread = runaway-train-lone-ranger.jpg

Doesn't Dr Demented have his own thread so he doesn't have to fuck up everyone elses?

austin160

I'd have changed the oil in the new engine pretty long before 6000 miles. I had free oil changes at the dealer for the first year and the first change was at 2000, second at 4000 - and I've done mine myself since using full synthetic (usually buy Royal Purple at Walmart when it is on sale for less than $30 for 5-quart jug) and K&N high flow oil filters at about 4000 mile intervals. As to the filter cap, I make sure I put clean oil on the O-ring and use a socket (23 mm I believe). When I first went to change oil, I tried using a crescent wrench and found it wanted to round off the hex - went to the socket instead. With the O-ring, you don't really have to snug down the cap much (just close the gap).

I just got my second oil change on my 2016 at 13k(baffles me that people don't have miles on their Jeeps). I have always changed oil at around 5k on all my vehicles with no problems. Unless they are used for intense situations around 5k shouldn't hurt anything. Maybe I have just been lucky though.

Byte

Lol yeah I have changed between 6k & 10k since I've owned vehicles. That's even with plain old dino goo. My JK is the first vehicle I've used a blend in. May go full syth with the 5w-20 come winter though. Put over 200k on a '98 Altima in just under 5 years using Castol GTX 10w-30 changing about every 6k. Sold it to a Nissan dealer mechanic with original clutch. He was surprised at how well it looked overall when he tore into. Several good mechanics that I've known my whole life claim that changing oil on a 3k sched is just a waste of money and resources. None of the thousands of people they've influenced have lost an engine to wear based on longer oil usage. It's just not an issue. Now with all the technology that goes into synthetics, changing before 10k is wasting what you've paid the premium price for. All just my opinion, of course. We all have our own experiences that we draw from so we each get to do it our own way. I was told by the dealer not change the first factory oil until the system tells me to. So says the manual also. I figured 8k if I didn't see anything pop up.

I just got my second oil change on my 2016 at 13k(baffles me that people don't have miles on their Jeeps). I have always changed oil at around 5k on all my vehicles with no problems. Unless they are used for intense situations around 5k shouldn't hurt anything. Maybe I have just been lucky though.

I drive 8 miles to work each way so even with weekend drives it's hard to put that many miles on any of my vehicles that quickly. I always have two vehicles to divide up miles also. My '98 Tacoma has just under 97k miles on it. Put about 20k on it working before I decided I needed something to put mileage on rather than my trail vehicle. For 5 of those years I had the Altima while doing field service work across 4 states. That car got the miles because it was purchased for the purpose. Paid $10k for it with 34k miles on it and sold it for $1k with about 250k on it. Also got paid about .47/mile avg over the 5 years. Car actually paid me to drive it! A lot. Oh and the Altima got in the mid 30mpg range vs the Taco getting less than 20mpg on the highway. Made a huge diff over the course of 200k miles. Don't think the jeeps going to pay me to drive it over the course of 5 years. I think maint & mods will break the bank instead. But damn it, it's a Jeep and I love the thing. :rock:

Thanks for the replies guys. Appreciate your input.

Drdiesel1

Hahahah - this thread = View attachment 206999

Doesn't Dr Demented have his own thread so he doesn't have to fuck up everyone elses?

I didn't start this stupid shit. Mr Crybaby has ZERO Value in any threads, but thinks his stalking me with a link
to the crybaby section will be a de·ter·rent (a thing that discourages or is intended to discourage someone from doing something)
for me to posting. He's a fucking troll with no life.

Top Bottom