Installing Dynatrac ProGrip Brakes?

Stick

Brown Santa just showed up with my Dynatrac ProGrip Brakes and I have a few questions for those of you that have installed these yourselves. I've never worked on disc brakes only on drum brakes so I don't want to jump the gun on installing these without some feedback. First of all how long did it take to install them? I wanna make sure I don't start without enough time to finish since I only get 1 day off a week and it's the only vehicle I have. Second is there any part of the install that the instructions weren't clear enough or gave you any trouble? Any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Brown Santa just showed up with my Dynatrac ProGrip Brakes and I have a few questions for those of you that have installed these yourselves. I've never worked on disc brakes only on drum brakes so I don't want to jump the gun on installing these without some feedback. First of all how long did it take to install them? I wanna make sure I don't start without enough time to finish since I only get 1 day off a week and it's the only vehicle I have. Second is there any part of the install that the instructions weren't clear enough or gave you any trouble? Any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated.
It will take a few hours to do. Less time than it takes to do drum brakes since discs are not as complicated as drums.

This video will help with the install

bsimon187

It's a pretty straightforward install. If you have all your tools ready you could do less than an hour per wheel taking your time and doing it right if it is your first time doing brakes.

Ozon8r

This is a pretty simple mod. The hardest part was taking the lock washers off the studs holding the disk brakes to the flanges. Use a flat head screw driver to split off the studs and throw them away. If you have the tools listed in the video, this should take about 1-2 hours total.

AU Bronc N JK

Pretty easy install. I've installed two sets on friend's jeeps and both went very smoothly. You'll definitely like the increased stopping power!

Evil

It takes longer to jack it up and remove the tires then to actually install the brake kit. I can honestly say the pro grips have been the best mod to date to compliment the lift and tires.

JKCRWLR

Thanks for the info guys, makes me feel good about spending the coin on these. :thumb:
I've got a set ready to go on, just waiting for new Bilstein 5160's I ordered so I can do all at once. Would also be nice to have a somewhat cool garage to use.

JK_BUB

Just a suggestion and maybe not necessary for everyone, but after installing my ProGrips I was plagued with squealing on the rear. I took them apart and regreased the clips/pads 3 times before I realized that the clips they came with in the rear were the issue. I put on a new set of Auto Zone clips (with the rubberized "quiet backing" and they have been great ever since. Cheap upgrade for quiet braking.

R

RockyMtnAnvil

Just a suggestion and maybe not necessary for everyone, but after installing my ProGrips I was plagued with squealing on the rear. I took them apart and regreased the clips/pads 3 times before I realized that the clips they came with in the rear were the issue. I put on a new set of Auto Zone clips (with the rubberized "quiet backing" and they have been great ever since. Cheap upgrade for quiet braking.

This is why I enjoy this forum. Now I know what I am doing this weekend :thumb:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

If you needed different slid clips it means that you more than likely just installed the ones provided from Dynatrac wrong

Evil

Thanks for the info guys, makes me feel good about spending the coin on these. :thumb:
I've got a set ready to go on, just waiting for new Bilstein 5160's I ordered so I can do all at once. Would also be nice to have a somewhat cool garage to use.

If you want to roll North we can do it. Just shoot me a PM. All you need to bring is the Jeep and the brakes.

and the damn shocks too.

JK_BUB

If you needed different slid clips it means that you more than likely just installed the ones provided from Dynatrac wrong

I don't believe that I installed them incorrectly. I have done many brake jobs and never had this issue. Also odd that the new clips, installed the exact same way, didn't have an issue. As I said originally, it could have just been my clips that had the issue. Overall, I love the brakes and feel that they were worth the expense. Just trying to help just in case someone else experiences the rear squeal, as I did.

Ozon8r

I don't believe that I installed them incorrectly. I have done many brake jobs and never had this issue. Also odd that the new clips, installed the exact same way, didn't have an issue. As I said originally, it could have just been my clips that had the issue. Overall, I love the brakes and feel that they were worth the expense. Just trying to help just in case someone else experiences the rear squeal, as I did.

Same issue here. Installed many brakes before and ProGrips squeal like a pig despite multiple inspections, re-greasing, etc. I may look into autozone clips but honestly the squealing has become almost white noise to me now.

Evil

Ive done 5 swaps total and never had any issues with the clips or squealing. Are you guys having the squeak issues installing the cloth like cut out pieces on the backs of the brake pads before installing them?

Ozon8r

Ive done 5 swaps total and never had any issues with the clips or squealing. Are you guys having the squeak issues installing the cloth like cut out pieces on the backs of the brake pads before installing them?

^^^yup, the rubber pad with double sided sticky tape. I should add that the squeal is only on one wheel and started after about 500 miles on the ProGrips.

srosario

i cant wait to upgrade my brakes, but i ones did the magic pads and centric rotors, and couldnt get rid of the squeals. no it let me marked

Last edited:
Top Bottom