"Clicking" noise making me crazy!

I have a noise that I can't narrow down that is absolutely driving me batshit crazy!

It sounds like something plastic. Like a piece of something is bouncing around but trapped somewhere. Almost like a nickel in the dryer. But not that loud and not metallic (I know - makes no sense but bear with me. I'm doing the best I can at describing this!) Sounds like it's coming from the right front in the cabin area possibly under/behind the dash.

It only happens when the jeep is moving but it's not consistent with wheel rpm as the noise frequency is intermittent and faster than wheel rpm at a creep.

I notice it when I just start to roll. Sometimes I think it may be a creak but the plastic sound baffles me. It mellows out but by no means goes away at higher speed.

What are the possibilities? Is it something vibrating in the engine bay? Is there something in my suspension that would create that sound (used terrorflex coils and billsteins)? Everything is tight. I just changed the front axle seals and did ball joints. I had started to notice this on my last wheeling outing which was last fall to Windrock. It was not nearly as bad then. Now I can't hear anything but that damn noise!

Anyone have any type of similar noise ever? Or any ideas what to look for? I've banged on the dash, glove box, interior trim on the floor, the little panel on the side of the dash and I can't recreate this noise.

swampdog

Torn drive shaft boot that is slapping as it spins? MattMc was experiencing this at Windrock and fixed it with brute force and a razor knife.

Arizona

What about the heat shield on your exhaust crossover pipe? Check the welds, they have a tendency to crack and make a clicking noise. It happened to me, two hose clamps around the shield and pipe fixed it!

Maybe someone put a zip tie on your driveshaft.....

That would be pretty funny but I highly doubt it. And I'd welcome that to be true at this point!

Like I said, at a creep the clicking sounds like something is jostling around randomly. So that doesn't quite fit a zip tie.

Thanks though.

Evil

Iv had this annoying clicking/knocking sound coming from my interior for the last 2 months. I was putting my center console back in today and dropped a screw on the inside of the front seat rear bracket and pulled this little pos jem out :cheesy: Damn kids! Thing must have been bounching around like a air pop corn machine.
IMG_3997.jpg

Have you pulled the wheels and made sure everything was good and nothing like a stick or a rock was wedged in it some place?

Rottenbelly

That would be pretty funny but I highly doubt it. And I'd welcome that to be true at this point!

Like I said, at a creep the clicking sounds like something is jostling around randomly. So that doesn't quite fit a zip tie.

Thanks though.
Lol, I only mention that cause someone got me with it one time.
Put it up by the trans yoke and it had me freaked out!

Iv had this annoying clicking/knocking sound coming from my interior for the last 2 months. I was putting my center console back in today and dropped a screw on the inside of the front seat rear bracket and pulled this little pos jem out :cheesy: Damn kids! Thing must have been bounching around like a air pop corn machine.

Have you pulled the wheels and made sure everything was good and nothing like a stick or a rock was wedged in it some place?

That's awesome! :cheesy:

I'm gonna pull it apart this weekend- Every last bolt - till I identify that noise!

Tree Frog

I really feel your pain on this one.

I had a noise that just about drove me freaking nuts. It was the worst squeaking sound in the cabin you ever heard. The stereo could not even drown it out.

We had just ran a big part of the Rubicon and had done some banging around in there.
On the way down to Sac. the noise just started all of a sudden, then it got worse.
I checked everything I could think of. Spare tire carrier, inside cargo rack, every god damn bolt on the entire suspension system.

My Dad thought I was loosing my marbles as here I was tearing my Jeep apart in his driveway.

Very long and sorry story, but ended up driving back to Roseburg with this damn squeak. Must have taken me a month or more to find it.

Turns out it was the fuel hoses that run along the left rear wheel well just under the wheel housing. Toward the back there is a metal plate thing that was rubbing on something.
A few squirts of silicone sealant and a bunch of zip ties and so far it stopped it.

My point is you have to stick with the search. Dont let it drive you nuts.
Do weird shit like have somebody else drive and you sit in the passenger seat. Put a GoPro or you phone up under the dash and see if you can see anything. Get a mirror (Like your wifes/GFs hand mirror) and lay it on the floor board to see up under the dash better. (Dollar store is great for these for a buck)

Work on it for a while then take a break from it. Keep thinking about it. Check the last thing you did before the noise started. I think mine was from this bracket rubbing the rear upper coil over bracket.

You will find it. I am pulling for you. Then post up what you find. Wish you were closer- I just love a good challenge. ;)

vitodivita

I had a tapping noise back when I purchased my 15 new under my passenger floorboard turned out to be trans lines, I bent them out of the way and haven't heard it since.

White lightning

I had it on and off and it still makes noise. Then on my way home today it started on the left side and it sounded like it moved to the right side under the hood. Opened the hood and didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

RUBEERCON

I chased a noise on my tundra for several years. It ended up being noise on the windshield caused by the hood mounted bug deflector throwing turbulence. It was a noise that didn't mimic any type of wind at all.
Good luck let us know.

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
Mine currently has a piece of the hub cap broken and stuck inside between the cap and the wheel so you can hear it rattling around when you're moving. Its one of those things that I know what it is and apart from when my windows are down and the radio isn't up (rare instance seeing as its a jeep :thumb:) I can't hear it too much.

Now back around this past thanksgiving I was running a trail and over stretched my front driveshaft somehow :bang head: and tore the rubber boot on the slip. Like was mentioned before it was flapping around aimlessly down there and sounded like it was coming from inside the jeep and took some wire cutters and brute force to get it off lol

Then when that cv joint on the front driveshaft goes it also makes a clicking noise that can come and go somewhat... That drove me crazy for a while until I realized it goes worse in 4low with some torque applied and/or wheels turned. Replaced the joint (twice now) and been fine ever since:rock:

Top Bottom