It would be nice to have 2.8 L diesel.

cuongdyna

It would be nice to have 2.8 L Turbo diesel from GM in the Jk. I test drove the new Colorado with the 2.8L Diesel. It was smooth and quiet for a diesel. It has 181HP 3100 RPM and 369 TQ 2000 RPM. They have a turner out there that can make 225 HP and 420 TQ.

Last edited:

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
It would be nice to have 2.8 L Turbo diesel from GM in the Jk. I test drove the new Colorado with the 2.8L Diesel. It was smooth and quiet for a diesel. It has 181HP 3100 RPM and 369 TQ 2000 RPM. They have a turner out there that can make 225 HP and 420 TQ.

You've got to be joking. The current Colorado 2.8L is one of the worst common rail diesels ever made. They rattle and shake all over the place and are very noisy. The only thing worst is the new Mitsubishi triton engine.

Ausjeep113

You've got to be joking. The current Colorado 2.8L is one of the worst common rail diesels ever made. They rattle and shake all over the place and are very noisy. The only thing worst is the new Mitsubishi triton engine.

They also burn oil like crazy straight out of the showroom. Just an overpriced boat anchor.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
If we're throwing out wishes, it'd be nice to have a 6.2L LS3 option and a winning lottery ticket. :bleh:

cuongdyna

Are we talking about the same motor? Are the one in Australia has a turbo? The one I drove was quiet and smooth no rattling.

Last edited:

cuongdyna

If we're throwing out wishes, it'd be nice to have a 6.2L LS3 option and a winning lottery ticket. :bleh:

I like the LS motor but I would like a motor with more low end TQ and better gas mileage. Going on long tails and long trips having to worry about fuel sucks. Having a diesel sounds like it will resolve my problem.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
I like the LS motor but I would like a motor with more low end TQ and better gas mileage. Going on long tails and long trips having to worry about fuel sucks. Having a diesel sounds like it will resolve my problem.

Or an LS / Genright 2nd fuel tank combo...

I take it you're interested in the new JL Wrangler coming out? I like the idea of the EcoDiesel option and would have gotten it when I bought mine had it been available. Just not sure I'd trade what I have now to get it.

If Jeep were to come out with a diesel option in the wrangler, so long as they could get the emissions squared away, I'd be first in line to buy one! I could see it being capable of nearly 500ft/lbs with a few tweaks. With that kind of torque, i dont care how loud it was or how bad it stunk:rock:

Ctimrun

I agree a smooth running diesel would be cool for driveability and potential fuel mileage, but with all the diesel emission related issues all the MFG's have had/are having I don't know who in their right mind would want to be a buyer of any first year (or second or third) diesel. I would wait and watch to make sure all the issues were ironed out before I jumped in.

Keep in mind an emissions bs stacked diesel wont do well with a lot of idling or low RPM usage. It will also stink up a trail ride.

My F350 runs very well (towing and highway miles) for what it is but it is a 2016 and there has been a lot of loyal buyers with a lot of heartburn who have helped them get these trucks to this point. It does not like to idle and when I do even a little more idling than normal the truck starts to regen more and more which drops the mileage and increases the stink.

Diesels are NOT what they used to be. :rolleyes2:

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Are we talking about the same motor? Are the one in Australia has a turbo? The one I drove was quiet and smooth no rattling.

Yep same one 2.8L turbo diesel. They make good power but rattle more than a furgie grey. How old was the one you drove? They loosen up a lot within the first 10k.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
I agree a smooth running diesel would be cool for driveability and potential fuel mileage, but with all the diesel emission related issues all the MFG's have had/are having I don't know who in their right mind would want to be a buyer of any first year (or second or third) diesel. I would wait and watch to make sure all the issues were ironed out before I jumped in.

Keep in mind an emissions bs stacked diesel wont do well with a lot of idling or low RPM usage. It will also stink up a trail ride.

My F350 runs very well (towing and highway miles) for what it is but it is a 2016 and there has been a lot of loyal buyers with a lot of heartburn who have helped them get these trucks to this point. It does not like to idle and when I do even a little more idling than normal the truck starts to regen more and more which drops the mileage and increases the stink.

Diesels are NOT what they used to be. :rolleyes2:

Ain't that the truth! Diesels are dead, killed by emission regulations. However the good ones still work well their just expensive and thirsty compared to 10 years ago.

Ain't that the truth! Diesels are dead, killed by emission regulations. However the good ones still work well their just expensive and thirsty compared to 10 years ago.

Not to turn this into some sort of a debate... But where exactly do you people get your facts from? Diesels are far from dead. They make more power today than they ever have and are every bit just as efficient and then some. Have there been growing pains along the way... Of course. But a new cummins in a ram truck comes with almost 900 ft/lbs of torque off the showroom floor which is double what it did 20 years ago and is more fuel efficient to boot. So it's not meant to idle for hours on end, who cares! So you have to add fluid for emissions every so often...

V8's in the 60's and 70's didnt have catylitic converters... Does that mean that all v8's today are dead cuz they have em?

http://www.cumminshub.com/timeline.html

Ctimrun

Didn't even mention the astronomical repair costs you will incur on the emissions systems when it is out of warranty.

We just got rid of a company truck that had 120k miles on it that needed $14K in fuel system repairs. (We run most of our trucks over 300K miles and not one of them in the last 5 years that has gone that long has been a diesel) Repairs like this are not something I could afford to take on if it was my personal truck. Even if I could afford it I wouldn't want to.

So yes diesels are not what they used to be. The old cummins and Ford 7.3's were awesome. Never had or driven a duramax.

We can all thank the libtards.

Last edited:
Didn't even mention the astronomical repair costs you will incur on the emissions systems when it is out of warranty.

We just got rid of a company truck that had 120k miles on it that needed $14K in fuel system repairs. (We run most of our trucks over 300K miles and not one of them in the last 5 years that has gone that long has been a diesel) Repairs like this are not something I could afford to take on if it was my personal truck. Even if I could afford it I wouldn't want to.

So yes diesels are not what they used to be.

Your first problem is your buying fords!

Seriously though... While thats been your personal experience... Albeit a shitty one. That obviously doesn't happen on all trucks. Thats like the guy that had a Chevy and the motor blew up and now he doesn't drive Chevys anymore...

Sometimes performance costs money, hell... There are a bunch of guys here alone that have spent double that just for axles;)

Last edited:

cuongdyna

Yep same one 2.8L turbo diesel. They make good power but rattle more than a furgie grey. How old was the one you drove? They loosen up a lot within the first 10k.

Brand new 2016 Chevrolet Colorado. Like I said pretty quite. You can barely hear it pinging. No diesel smell put you have to run DEF.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Not to turn this into some sort of a debate... But where exactly do you people get your facts from? Diesels are far from dead. They make more power today than they ever have and are every bit just as efficient and then some. Have there been growing pains along the way... Of course. But a new cummins in a ram truck comes with almost 900 ft/lbs of torque off the showroom floor which is double what it did 20 years ago and is more fuel efficient to boot. So it's not meant to idle for hours on end, who cares! So you have to add fluid for emissions every so often...

V8's in the 60's and 70's didnt have catylitic converters... Does that mean that all v8's today are dead cuz they have em?

http://www.cumminshub.com/timeline.html

My facts come from years in the Industry and while big diesels will always be around because petrol engines just can't make the same torque but small diesels (under 3.0L) are dead because the whole of life cost is huge compared to a direct injection petrol.

20yrs ago when common rail first came out diesels were cheap, really efficient but dirty. The more they've tried to clean up the emissions the more expensive they've become. The fuel economy is still better than a port injected petrol but the direct injection turbo petrol engines have caught up to the diesels.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with new diesels we have a fleet of Mercedes vans that spend 8hrs a day
Idling no problem but the car industry has moved on. 10yrs ago it was diesel now it's direct injection petrol just have a look at the new car market

Top Bottom