Tinting over factory privacy glass

LasVegasJK

Anyone have 35% over the privacy glass?
If so, how dark did it end up being?
What % did you put on the front doors to match?

Texas Nick

Caught the Bug
TBH putting %35 over factory will be almost no darker than what you already have. It MIGHt block the sun a bit more. But overall will not make it noticeably darker.
I would say just put 30-35% on your front windows and call it a day.
Or if youre going to get tint in the rear anyway. I would say just go for 20%.
It isnt too dark and you would more than likely not have any trouble seeing at night.

LasVegasJK

TBH putting %35 over factory will be almost no darker than what you already have. It MIGHt block the sun a bit more. But overall will not make it noticeably darker.
I would say just put 30-35% on your front windows and call it a day.
Or if youre going to get tint in the rear anyway. I would say just go for 20%.
It isnt too dark and you would more than likely not have any trouble seeing at night.

I'm having Suntek CXP installed all the way around. I need to keep my kids cool(er) during the summer.
I'm just not sure what % to have done yet. I wonder if 18% on front doors would match (close) to 35% over the factory privacy glass?

Texas Nick

Caught the Bug
30-35% matches the rear factory perfect.

Like i said, if you put 35% over the factory. you will notice minimal, of not, no darker than factory darkness

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
As far as the tint matching goes, that can also vary because of the natural color of the tint (blue, brown, etc). You may be better off stripping off the factory tint first if you think that it's going to bother you.

BLCK4X4

Anyone have 35% over the privacy glass?
If so, how dark did it end up being?
What % did you put on the front doors to match?

So what are you trying to achieve because I did 35% over my privacy tint in the back and I did 20% on the front doors to match it. Because the back half ended up being about 20% give or take.

I run a Automotive tint, clear bra, detail shop. Lol I may know a thing or two about tint[emoji6]

LasVegasJK

So what are you trying to achieve because I did 35% over my privacy tint in the back and I did 20% on the front doors to match it. Because the back half ended up being about 20% give or take.

I run a Automotive tint, clear bra, detail shop. Lol I may know a thing or two about tint[emoji6]

Thats what I was wanting to know!
How is the visibility? I want my kids to be able to see the scenery when we're traveling.
Should I consider a more % for the rear in order to get close to a 35% on the fronts? 20%may be a little dark for my liking.

LasVegasJK

As far as the tint matching goes, that can also vary because of the natural color of the tint (blue, brown, etc). You may be better off stripping off the factory tint first if you think that it's going to bother you.

The factory "tint" is actually just dyed glass. Nothing to remove.

BLCK4X4

Thats what I was wanting to know!
How is the visibility? I want my kids to be able to see the scenery when we're traveling.
Should I consider a more % for the rear in order to get close to a 35% on the fronts? 20%may be a little dark for my liking.

Remember the bigger the % the lighter the film shade is. So I would maybe say 35% in the front and 50% in the back just to give it a little dark of a shade but trying to keep it same as the front.

Regardless you'll never match your front and back.
Reason being is you have a wind Sheild that lets a lot of light in, which naturally lightens up the front cabin area!

Are you ever in California ?

LasVegasJK

Remember the bigger the % the lighter the film shade is. So I would maybe say 35% in the front and 50% in the back just to give it a little dark of a shade but trying to keep it same as the front.

Regardless you'll never match your front and back.
Reason being is you have a wind Sheild that lets a lot of light in, which naturally lightens up the front cabin area!

Are you ever in California ?

Thanks for the info.
Are you familiar with the Suntek CXP? That's what I'm having installed.
We don't travel to California often. Next trip maybe summer of 2017. Legoland.

Devallee

Usually most shops will have some samples they can slap on the windows really quick to give you a visual of what it may look like. I'd go to the shop that's installing it and give that a shot. But like stated above you'll never be able to get the front and back to necessarily match but the shop should be able to answer your question better than anyone on here since they have the actual materials on hand and experience with them on different glass

JeepJeep75

fightfire15, how do you get away with tinted front windows and not get pulled over all the time?

JAGS

Hooked
I think there is something between the 35 and the 20. It's a higher quality tint film. Can't recall the name of it off hand. That's what I went with all the way around. With that over the back windows it almost becomes privacy glass, but my kids can still see out fine. Old picture, but best side few.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1465350055.525266.jpg

Grubbicon

fightfire15, how do you get away with tinted front windows and not get pulled over all the time?

I got 15% on the front windows of my pickup truck and 5% strip across the windshield. Legal on windshield is 6" from top but mines more like a 10-12" and side fronts only supposed to be 30%. Maybe Im just lucky but I have had no problems with it.

EDIT: IMO I doubt a cop will ever mess with you unless you are doing something stupid.

LasVegasJK

I think there is something between the 35 and the 20. It's a higher quality tint film. Can't recall the name of it off hand. That's what I went with all the way around. With that over the back windows it almost becomes privacy glass, but my kids can still see out fine. Old picture, but best side few.

View attachment 207266

Thanks for the picture with the soft top. I usually only run the hardtop in summer, so was wondering about the soft top windows looking ok with the other windows dark.

Benito

Caught the Bug
I don't know what % I ended up with on the front but when I have the rear of the Trektop on, the front doors match the rears pretty well in my opinion. I only had the fronts done as the rears were tinted from the factory. But as you can see in this picture without the trektop, the fronts are darker than the rears just proving what was said before, you won't be able to match them perfectly. Also the tint that was applied has more of a blue tint to it, it matched better than the green, brown(may have been a darker green) or red base they showed me. I don't know of what quality the film is but it looks good right now (2 weeks old). And I have noticed an improvement on the performance from the A/C

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1465351062.771929.jpg

BLCK4X4

Thanks for the info.
Are you familiar with the Suntek CXP? That's what I'm having installed.
We don't travel to California often. Next trip maybe summer of 2017. Legoland.

I suggest not using suntek, their films are cheap and known to purple And fail with high heat temps and sunlight quickly. We install 3M or Formula 1 films. I would suggest those.

If you go to 3M.com they have a locator where you can find the shop closest to you who installs it.
We are very picky about the film we carry in our tint department. We do our testing and research. That's why I would suggest for you man. Any film that turns purple or bubbles is cheap and shitty film.

BLCK4X4

All depends on the cop. I still have my fire department sticker on my back window and that gets me out of a lot. Knock on wood. I'm all about the privacy though

Top Bottom