Another Trutrac question.

Kalums

Ive been reading all the threads about the Tru Trac lsd, my question is has anyone put one in both front and rear at the same time? (on a 2012+ auto) I have been playing around w/ the idea of getting a PR44 for the front, and regearing the whole set to 4.88s (currently 3.73s)with Tru Trac(s). I don't crawl much(if any). It's my DD and we use it for camping and exploring/overlanding. Ideas, comments?

Jeepfan30

Ive been reading all the threads about the Tru Trac lsd, my question is has anyone put one in both front and rear at the same time? (on a 2012+ auto) I have been playing around w/ the idea of getting a PR44 for the front, and regearing the whole set to 4.88s (currently 3.73s)with Tru Trac(s). I don't crawl much(if any). It's my DD and we use it for camping and exploring/overlanding. Ideas, comments?

I have put them in font & rear with 4.56 gears (2014, Auto). I love them, completely invisible until a wheel begins to slip then the power immediately is pushed to the other wheel. Keep in mind, the TT pushes power to both wheels. It is capable of a 60/40 power split, not a full locker, but very good and nothing to engage (air/electric). If you are in sand or mud, in 4WD your Jeep will dig 4 holes. I have not wheeled them in rocks yet, but I have been off camber and the BLD works great with the TT.

Edit: Unlike the factory BLD, you don't have to wait for a full wheel rotation for the brakes to apply and power to transfer. The TT detects and the loss of friction and power is immediately transferred via the worm gears.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

If you don't do much crawling if any at all, why spend the extra money on a set of LSD?

Kalums

That's why I was looking at the Tru Tracs, because of the worm gears/ no interactions from me/ and capability of 60/40 split. Besides that the traction control is pretty useless in a Jeep when it applies the brakes just because you give it the WOT in a corner or even thinking about turning on ice.

Jeepfan30

Yea, you don't get robbed of power with the TT like you do with the BLD when the brake is electronically applied. They are much better than BLD, or the TracLoc LSD that I replaced. The main reason I chose them was because I needed to replace a fried pinion bearing after a shitty gear install and decided to add the TT. I like the simplicity, if I decide these are not cutting it, I will install a rear Ox locker later.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That's why I was looking at the Tru Tracs, because of the worm gears/ no interactions from me/ and capability of 60/40 split. Besides that the traction control is pretty useless in a Jeep when it applies the brakes just because you give it the WOT in a corner or even thinking about turning on ice.

Unless you disable it, your ESP/BAS will still kick in even with a TruTrac installed. Just sayin.

Jeepfan30

If you don't do much crawling if any at all, why spend the extra money on a set of LSD?

I installed these while in HI, and unfortunately no rock crawling here. I plan to really test them out when my Jeep gets back to WA in a few weeks.

Eddie, what have you observed good/bad from people running TT's? Keep in mind not all of us wheel as hard as you do LOL! Thanks

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I installed these while in HI, and unfortunately no rock crawling here. I plan to really test them out when my Jeep gets back to WA in a few weeks.

Eddie, what have you observed good/bad from people running TT's? Keep in mind not all of us wheel as hard as you do LOL! Thanks

Oh, without question, when it comes to LSD's, TruTracs are the best and it's what I would go with if a LSD was the only thing I could afford. I just couldn't see myself spending the money on them if I wasn't planning on needing them.

Kalums

.... Good question, other than playing in the snow and ice occasionally in the winter. No particular reason. I like lsd(s) had them in my 87 R-10 Chevy (rear only) and my 02 Dakota (front and rear). If I'm going to spend the $$ anyway I might as well cough up a few more hundred for exactly what I want I guess is what I am thinking. *shrugs* just a few more months of being patient and just go with what I want.

Jeepfan30

Oh, without question, when it comes to LSD's, TruTracs are the best and it's what I would go with if a LSD was the only thing I could afford. I just couldn't see myself spending the money on them if I wasn't planning on needing them.

Good point. I didn't want to lock my D30, or throw a bunch of $$$ into this JK when I plan on getting a Rubicon in the next couple years. I have been happy with the TT for my wheeling so far though. Thanks

Kalums

I actually have installed the kill switch for the esp/bas it's actually quite intrusive when on ice, it doesn't actually help IMHO. Doesn't help/stop or prevent any kind of skid or slippage, sometimes it makes worse in my experience.

Jeepfan30

It's my DD and we use it for camping and exploring/overlanding. Ideas, comments?

For the type of use you mentioned here, you can probably get away with just the BLD. TT would be helpful if you have the $$$ and want a moderate upgrade. If you are getting a PR44 you probably have the $$$:wings:

Jeepfan30

I actually have installed the kill switch for the esp/bas it's actually quite intrusive when on ice, it doesn't actually help IMHO. Doesn't help/stop or prevent any kind of skid or slippage, sometimes it makes worse in my experience.

I agree, when in the sand in HI I would disable esp/bas and the TT would spin both tires and drive right through.

Kalums

So essentially what I'm getting is if I'm just using it for pavement and the occasional exploring and camping... Why spend the $$ is that the concensus?

Jeepfan30

It is better than open diffs, but not as good as lockers. You have to figure out what capability you need, and how much that capability is worth $$$ to you. Locker are going to be double the price of TT roughly. I am not going to be rock crawling and hanging tires like a boss every weekend, and I was replacing pinion bearing so decided to throw them in while I was in there.

Jk909

Keep in mind guys if you actually use the true tracs like I did you will blow them out eventually. I went through one in 6 months so if I was going to invest it would be lockers. BLD will work good enough otherwise

Jeepfan30

Keep in mind guys if you actually use the true tracs like I did you will blow them out eventually. I went through one in 6 months so if I was going to invest it would be lockers. BLD will work good enough otherwise

Can you define "blow it out"?

Edit: Is it possible you got a bad one? I've been reading about TT for about two years and have never heard of a failure. Curious to hear what happened.

Last edited:
Top Bottom