Need y'all input please!!

pinkcamotexan

I just bought my Jeep alittle over a week ago. Last night I washed and detailed it after taking the tops off to install the bikini top.

First thing: When the tops were off I notice that above the right speaker behind the passenger front seat, the "cap" was missing and I could see the wiring for the speaker. I looked over to the left and that side was covered with a "cap". I thought that was weird.

Second: After washing the vehicle, my friend had came by and was inspecting the Jeep. (He is a mechanic and body parts guy) He said, "Amber, did you know that the back passenger door has been repainted?" The look on my face answered that question for him! He told his hand and went over the paint mid door and then higher up. He had me feel the difference in paint. One was smooth where the other was "gritty".

Third: I started thinking about the day I bought the Jeep. After I test drove the Jeep, I noticed a scratch in the paint. I told the salesman that I didn't want this one and wanted the other one exactly like this one. He said no problem let's go run the numbers. After getting inside he came over to me and said the other Jeep already had another person interested in it. He said that scratch could be buffed out. It was a small scratch and go I agreed to the purchase of this Jeep.

So this morning, I paid the $39.99 fee and ran a carfax on the Jeep. There is nothing on the carfax other than the predelivery inspection and the date it was sold to me.

I am heading over there this morning to have a talk with these people. I feel that they knew something had happened to this Jeep and when I asked about the other one, they intentionally pushed this one to get it off the lot.

My plan is to first talk to them about the missing "cap" and get that taken care of. Then move to the repainting of the door.

Do y'all have any advice on how to handle the rest of this mess?!?! I am so freaking upset about this that I couldn't sleep much last night........

Thanks in advance for any input you all my have!!

Jackal01

The tough part is trying to get anything done since you have already taken delivery and everything has been finalized. Unless they filled out a "We Owe" form (used to have things done after the deal. Normally window tint, alarms, bumpers, etc) not much can be done I don't think. I am not sure on how to handle it from here but good luck.

pinkcamotexan

The tough part is trying to get anything done since you have already taken delivery and everything has been finalized. Unless they filled out a "We Owe" form (used to have things done after the deal. Normally window tint, alarms, bumpers, etc) not much can be done I don't think. I am not sure on how to handle it from here but good luck.

We did fill out the we owe form and the small scratch is on there, and I have to schedule to take it in.

Jackal01

We did fill out the we owe form and the small scratch is on there, and I have to schedule to take it in.

Ok well good. So no worries about that! You didn't mention it so I anticipated that you had not filled it out. The other things, like I said, may be difficult to get done.

pinkcamotexan

Ok well good. So no worries about that! You didn't mention it so I anticipated that you had not filled it out. The other things, like I said, may be difficult to get done.

I meant to mention that but forgot. My mind is all over the place and so very upset about the situation. Yea I am hoping they can do something about the cap thing and explain the repainting of the door. I soooooooo hate the car buying experience.......is there such a thing as an honest car salesman? <-----please note that was said with some serious sarcasm!!!! Lol

Jackal01

I meant to mention that but forgot. My mind is all over the place and so very upset about the situation. Yea I am hoping they can do something about the cap thing and explain the repainting of the door. I soooooooo hate the car buying experience.......is there such a thing as an honest car salesman? <-----please note that was said with some serious sarcasm!!!! Lol

I have had a couple "honest" ones. Their problem was they drug the deal out and wouldn't just let me sign. Trying to upsell or sell me on extra stuff is part of the process but if I am ready to go and they are about to get the sale...just let it happen stop stalling! :naw:

WJCO

Meme King
Did you buy new or used? If new, this is bad business. But if used, hard to say. They may not have even known about the door or the door was in much worse shape prior to them painting it and they had to paint it prior to selling it. As far as Carfax, the only things that show up are what's reported. When I lived down on the border, people would get in accidents and have the car fixed cheap in Mexico and never tell the insurance. No one knows unless you know the person who allowed the repairs.

pinkcamotexan

Did you buy new or used? If new, this is bad business. But if used, hard to say. They may not have even known about the door or the door was in much worse shape prior to them painting it and they had to paint it prior to selling it. As far as Carfax, the only things that show up are what's reported. When I lived down on the border, people would get in accidents and have the car fixed cheap in Mexico and never tell the insurance. No one knows unless you know the person who allowed the repairs.

I bought new. It had 23 miles on it when I bought it. Yea I ran the carfax so that I could have something to show when going to talk to them. I just find it hard to believe they didn't know about it. When I asked about the other Jeep that was exactly the same, it seems like they were pushing this one by saying someone else was looking it at. Also forgot to mention that the other Jeep I asked about sat on the lot for 3 days after I bought mine. I just find it highly suspicious!

Hobolobo

IIRC, the drivers side of your soundbar does not have any wiring going to it. Its all inside the bar. And I dont think there is a cap on the passenger side. Its just an open waterproof connection. But post some pics if you can so we can all see exactly what you're talking about.

pinkcamotexan

IIRC, the drivers side of your soundbar does not have any wiring going to it. Its all inside the bar. And I dont think there is a cap on the passenger side. Its just an open waterproof connection. But post some pics if you can so we can all see exactly what you're talking about.

I will definitely post pics. While at the dealership I will have them remove the top so that they can see and get the pictures then. But the open area I was talking about is on the passenger side.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I just bought my Jeep alittle over a week ago. Last night I washed and detailed it after taking the tops off to install the bikini top.

First thing: When the tops were off I notice that above the right speaker behind the passenger front seat, the "cap" was missing and I could see the wiring for the speaker. I looked over to the left and that side was covered with a "cap". I thought that was weird.

Second: After washing the vehicle, my friend had came by and was inspecting the Jeep. (He is a mechanic and body parts guy) He said, "Amber, did you know that the back passenger door has been repainted?" The look on my face answered that question for him! He told his hand and went over the paint mid door and then higher up. He had me feel the difference in paint. One was smooth where the other was "gritty".

Third: I started thinking about the day I bought the Jeep. After I test drove the Jeep, I noticed a scratch in the paint. I told the salesman that I didn't want this one and wanted the other one exactly like this one. He said no problem let's go run the numbers. After getting inside he came over to me and said the other Jeep already had another person interested in it. He said that scratch could be buffed out. It was a small scratch and go I agreed to the purchase of this Jeep.

So this morning, I paid the $39.99 fee and ran a carfax on the Jeep. There is nothing on the carfax other than the predelivery inspection and the date it was sold to me.

I am heading over there this morning to have a talk with these people. I feel that they knew something had happened to this Jeep and when I asked about the other one, they intentionally pushed this one to get it off the lot.

My plan is to first talk to them about the missing "cap" and get that taken care of. Then move to the repainting of the door.

Do y'all have any advice on how to handle the rest of this mess?!?! I am so freaking upset about this that I couldn't sleep much last night........

Thanks in advance for any input you all my have!!

to me, this sounds like normal run, jeep/chrysler crap.

My jeep had 8 miles on it when I picked it up from the dealer (ordered by me, built for me). The driver side mirror was cracked, The vanity mirror was in 10,000 pieces, AND it had NOWHERE near 5 gallons of gas in it (EMPTY) I had already scheduled a time for the mirror repair before leaving the dealer with my jeep, but did not notice the vanity mirror until WEEKS later when changing out the top... they fixed it for me no problem though... just had to deal with a phone call and not having my jeep for a day... oh and they where willing to loan me a base sport while my loaded Rubicon was in the shop and acted like it was a huge inconvenience for them...

Dealers suck. Period. Sorry you have to deal with it. I would focus on what matters more, pick your battles. the door should be fixed for sure, but the speaker cap... Got a pic? might be more trouble then its worth. :idontknow: maybe mention it when you take your jeep in for the door repair and see what they say. But I would post a pic so we can verify if its normal or not. :thumb:

EDIT: just give them the DOOR; keep your jeep :cheesy: be like "well I dont need the doors anyway for the next few months, so I figured you guys could fix it now. Thanks..."

Last edited:

pinkcamotexan

to me, this sounds like normal run, jeep/chrysler crap.

My jeep had 8 miles on it when I picked it up from the dealer (ordered by me, built for me). The driver side mirror was cracked, The vanity mirror was in 10,000 pieces, AND it had NOWHERE near 5 gallons of gas in it (EMPTY) I had already scheduled a time for the mirror repair, but did not notice the vanity mirror until WEEKS later when changing out the top... they fixed it for me no problem though... just had to deal with a phone call and not having my jeep for a day... oh and they loaned me a base sport while my loaded Rubicon was in the shop and acted like it was a huge inconvenience for them...

Dealers suck. Period. Sorry you have to deal with it. I would focus on what matters more, pick your battles. the door should be fixed for sure, but the speaker cap... Got a pic? might be more trouble then its worth. :idontknow: maybe mention while its in for the door repair and see what they say. But I would post a pic so we can verify if its normal or not. :thumb:

Aren't dealers the worst?!? Ugh We will see shortly what they have to say about all this!! I will definitely post pictures while they have the top off!!

At least you got a loaner. From what I hear, most dealerships aren't big on giving loaners out. Fingers crossed they will give me one due to their oversight!!

pinkcamotexan

EDIT: just give them the DOOR; keep your jeep :cheesy: be like "well I dont need the doors anyway for the next few months, so I figured you guys could fix it now. Thanks..."

Bahahahaha if it would quit freaking raining I would totally do that!!!!!!

Last edited:

Jackal01

Assumptions are bad. I assumed this was a used a vehicle, for whatever reason. I'm dumb for not asking/clarifying. :icon_crazy:

I would expect all this from a used vehicle/used car dealer but not new. All the times I have bought new (two Fords, one Jeep) I have never had issues like this. Sucks this has happened. You have a warranty so all this shouldn't be a problem I wouldn't think.

pinkcamotexan

Assumptions are bad. I assumed this was a used a vehicle, for whatever reason. I'm dumb for not asking/clarifying. :icon_crazy:

I would expect all this from a used vehicle/used car dealer but not new. All the times I have bought new (two Fords, one Jeep) I have never had issues like this. Sucks this has happened. You have a warranty so all this shouldn't be a problem I wouldn't think.

My apologies I thought I put that it was new in my post......my thinking process is much faster than my typing! Ha ha

Kyle7R

sounds like they either painted the door and didn't buff/finish it so it has a different texture than the rest of the door, or they wet sanded the scratch out and still didn't buff/finish the area. Either way should be a relatively easy fix, might just have been missed on final walk through. As far as the missing cap, not sure what it might be. I know there is a visible connection on top of my sound bar when the top is off, but it isn't necessarily "exposed"

Dealers are the worst more often than not, but it sounds like they're working/willing to take care of it for you. Hope you get it all resolved painlessly!

Ctimrun

Years ago as a young policeman my area included loading docks where amongst a lot of other things, vehicles were offloaded from the ships and parked in huge parking lots. You should have seen some of the damage on some of these cars. When I asked what they did with the cars that were damaged I was told the MFG's fix them and still sell them as new! I was blown away. So there are a lot of "new cars" that have been or are being sold as new that have already been damaged and repaired.

Since I learned about this I have got some really strange looks when I VERY THOROUGHLY check any car I buy, including new ones. After the paperwork is signed and it is driven away there is not much you can do. I know this may not make you feel much better but I wouldn't be too upset over it if that is what happened. At least you didn't know before a trained eye pointed it out.

I'm not making any excuses for the MFG's or dealers, I think it's BS they can do this. Unfortunately we are all subject to the games they play.

Jackal01

Wow. You might be able to file against the carfax guarantee?? I think you need to fill it out online or something.

I don't see what can be filed against. Carfax only reports what has been reported. All this could have just been poor QC at the factory which wouldn't have been reported. Perhaps I am wrong but I don't see carfax liable here.

Top Bottom