Getting new jku looking for your thoughts on deal

trexburn

First off I apologize for this post as it will be lengthy.
I will start with my trade. 2012 sport 2 dr soft top ,manual, power windows, tow package, with 36600 miles. It has xrc front and rear bumpers with tire carrier. I have gotten two trade numbers of 19500 and 20000. Seem high low or about right?
Now too the new one. 4 dr, hard top, auto,power, connectivity, max tow, side air bags, track lock diff.
I emailed about 12 dealers locally with various results but bottom line too get what I wanted and in the color they would have too order it. Several quotes all within about 100 to 200 bucks. Lowest being 35227 at a dealer that has no fees and giving me 20000 in trade. So what do you guys think?

JAGS

Hooked
Have the dealer install all the mods and then lease it so you can write it off on your taxes. [emoji106]

Have the dealer install all the mods and then lease it so you can write it off on your taxes. [emoji106]

And then the finance company would have a field day with penalties at turn in on a leased wrangler thats been offroad:naw: I can think of better ways to save money on your taxes;)

I will start with my trade. 2012 sport 2 dr soft top ,manual, power windows, tow package, with 36600 miles. It has xrc front and rear bumpers with tire carrier. I have gotten two trade numbers of 19500 and 20000. Seem high low or about right?
Now too the new one. 4 dr, hard top, auto,power, connectivity, max tow, side air bags, track lock diff.
I emailed about 12 dealers locally with various results but bottom line too get what I wanted and in the color they would have too order it. Several quotes all within about 100 to 200 bucks. Lowest being 35227 at a dealer that has no fees and giving me 20000 in trade. So what do you guys think?

Could you be a little more clear on the "no fees" part? Are you referring to no excess fees like paint protection and tint etc, or the normal fees such as tax, title, liscense? Last time i looked Indiana is not a tax exempt state. Be very careful if its the latter... Believe you me the govt will get their money

I pay taxes only no processing fees or little fees they try to charge

By processing fees I'm assuming you're referring to the documentary fee or doc fee? Most dealers will charge this but if given enough resistance, they will either remove the fee or take the fee off of the sale price.

Your original question was what do we think about the deal you were given at a local dealer of yours and quite frankly thats like picking a cute girl out of a crowd and posting her picture here and asking what people think... You're going to get a rash of different answers and opinions... The real question is what do "you" think? I'm guessing that you thought it was too high or you prolly woulda bought it.

The general rule of thumb on wranglers seems to be that if you can get the sale price around 1-2% below invoice then you've done decent for yourself(this does not include any additional rebates or dealer incentives that may be available). This of course varies slightly by region. As for your trade in, I personally would never trade in a wrangler... They have extremely high resale value and are not hard to sell. You could potentially be leaving a few thousand dollars on the table in doing so but i do also understand that some people just really don't want to deal with that hassle.

Last edited:

trexburn

By processing fees I'm assuming you're referring to the documentary fee or doc fee? Most dealers will charge this but if given enough resistance, they will either remove the fee or take the fee off of the sale price.

Your original question was what do we think about the deal you were given at a local dealer of yours and quite frankly thats like picking a cute girl out of a crowd and posting her picture here and asking what people think... You're going to get a rash of different answers and opinions... The real question is what do "you" think? I'm guessing that you thought it was too high or you prolly woulda bought it.

The general rule of thumb on wranglers seems to be that if you can get the sale price around 1-2% below invoice then you've done decent for yourself(this does not include any additional rebates or dealer incentives that may be available). This of course varies slightly by region. As for your trade in, I personally would never trade in a wrangler... They have extremely high resale value and are not hard to sell. You could potentially be leaving a few thousand dollars on the table in doing so but i do also understand that some people just really don't want to deal with that hassle.

I agree with all of this. I am ok with it just wanted opinions on if any of it was off base.

Totally agree with the sell it yourself part. I sold my TJ with over 100,000 miles on Craig's list for $15,000 in two hours last year.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
The only other thing to consider on trade is how taxes work there. Some states you only pay sales tax on difference between new price - trade. I loved that about PA. MI is getting there but not totally yet. If sales tax is 6% and you get 20k trade that's 1200 savings vs selling yourself and buying new. But you may still do better selling yourself, never know and I don't know your state rules.

trexburn

The only other thing to consider on trade is how taxes work there. Some states you only pay sales tax on difference between new price - trade. I loved that about PA. MI is getting there but not totally yet. If sales tax is 6% and you get 20k trade that's 1200 savings vs selling yourself and buying new. But you may still do better selling yourself, never know and I don't know your state rules.

Indiana is that way. it is pretty nice

spencerd45

Similar case in south florida. Sales tax only on the difference of price. I traded in a 2009 dodge ram on a 2015 wrangler and just paid the tax on the remaining balance. It didnt pay to list it privately to make a few more bucks since I would just pay it back in taxes. Private listing can be more of a hassle than its worth

spencerd45

Not sure the sticker price of the jeep you are looking at, but I know when I bought my 2015, I was able to get full kbb value for my trade and 2,000 off a 32k JKUS. The dealer also waved the 900 dealer scam fee

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Not sure the sticker price of the jeep you are looking at, but I know when I bought my 2015, I was able to get full kbb value for my trade and 2,000 off a 32k JKUS. The dealer also waved the 900 dealer scam fee

What's a 900 dealer scam fee?

Jeep2010

The dealerships price was 900 more than the sticker due to their "dealers fee". Whatever you want to call it

Is this the destination fee on the window sticker or a doc fee? If it's a doc fee then that's insane! But the destination fee is built into the window sticker so if you get a thousand off sticker then you can say it was taken off options or the fee. Either way it's the same money. I could also be wrong as to the fee being a destination but that's my best guess.

JoeB-JKURX

For desirable cars (vehicles) you will see an item on a separate sticker that says ADM (means Additional Dealer Money). If you fall for this, you are a very large sucker. I expect this is the Dealer Scam Fee he is referring to.

spencerd45

Yep. Exactly. Was over a year ago so I forget the exact numbers but I do know the total was nearly 1000 more than the sticker price. Don't fall for it

Last edited:
Top Bottom