Front Axle seal leaking D30 questions

chipper

As I was working on my jeep the other day I noticed that my front driver side axle seal has a slight leak. More like it's slowly seeping out. I checked the level and I was still good. My questions are, is there a write up on this? I can't seem to find it.
Do I do both sides?
Also I am wanting to regear to 4:88 I have 3:73 now. But am not financial prepared to do that yet. Will it be a waste of time and labor to hold off on the gears, isn't the labor very similar to regearing? I obviously would have to do the rear gears as well. And was planning on a rear locker. Leaving front open.
Would I be able to continue to drive like this as long as it's not leaking out anymore?
Can I still do some light wheeling like it is till it can be fixed
Here's a pic
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1465594876.894351.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
Keep an eye on the fluid level, but personally, I would wait until you re-gear. You will have to pull the carrier anyway to do the axle seals. Note that axle seals are an additional labor aside from the re-gear. And yes do both for sure.

chipper

Keep an eye on the fluid level, but personally, I would wait until you re-gear. You will have to pull the carrier anyway to do the axle seals. Note that axle seals are an additional labor aside from the re-gear. And yes do both for sure.

Ok thanks. That's what I thought. Hopefully the leak won't get any worse till I can regear

mastrcruse

I just had my inner seals replaced. $20 for the seals and the local guy charged me $100 to change em' out. I'm upgrading axles so I wasn't planning on regearing

chipper

I just had my inner seals replaced. $20 for the seals and the local guy charged me $100 to change em' out. I'm upgrading axles so I wasn't planning on regearing

Now that's not bad at all. I'll start asking around here with some of the jeep clubs should know someone. I'd rather hold off on regearing also. Thanks

mastrcruse

Now that's not bad at all. I'll start asking around here with some of the jeep clubs should know someone. I'd rather hold off on regearing also. Thanks

Ya...look for a local guy that either is a offroad shop, on the side stuff. I asked the dealership and it was $1000 haha. If you're gonna regear, just wait and do it then...good plan.

JTPhoto JK

Axle seals are a fairly big job. I've done a few sets.. May as well do both seals while its apart.. The carrier has to be pulled to change the seals anyway so it is an excellent time to do a gear swap.

chipper

Just keep an eye on your fluid level. No big deal.

Axle seals are a fairly big job. I've done a few sets.. May as well do both seals while its apart.. The carrier has to be pulled to change the seals anyway so it is an excellent time to do a gear swap.

I appreciate the responses. I'm going to keep an eye on the fluid level. And change them out when here have the rest of the regear funds

chipper

UPDATE: well I decided to take a chance and see if this leak would be covered under the warranty. I didn't figure it would be because of the lift and bigger tires. BUT ... Holy crap!!! It was, they didn't even try to give me a hard time about it. They changed out both axle seals and while they were in there they changed out the carrier bearings also.
I'm pretty excited about it. Now I can hold off a little before I regear.

gkurts

I noticed a rear axle seal leaking the day after I bought my 2013 JKU. Shame on me for not being more thorough before signing the papers but lesson learned. Anyway, the dealer checked it and discovered metal in the rear diff and is covering a full rebuild on the rear under the powetrain warranty. They haven't been crazy fast but they do seem to care about doing it right. They even checked out the front diff and suspension components for me while they have it on the lift.

Top Bottom