Why is my Oil Pressure Not Coming Up After Oil Change?

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I changed my oil, according to the instructions provided by, Eddie, here...

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write...gler-36l-pentastar-engine-oil-change-write-up

I used 6 quarts of 5w30 Mobil 1 synthetic oil, and an STP S10955 filter. I get about 2 lbs., at idle, so the oil light & check engine light came on. I pulled the cap off the filter, and there is oil at the filter. I took a spin around the neighborhood, and the highest it went was 15 lbs. The oil pressure light comes on at 12 lbs.

Never changed oil in a JK, but I've changed it many times in other vehicles, myself, and have never had this happen.

FLKEYSJK

The first thing I would check is for leaks, seems like if it was leaking that bad that you would've dumped all the oil already but its worth a try. Make sure everything is tight and make sure there's the new O ring on the filter housing.

Pyro1415

I changed my oil, according to the instructions provided by, Eddie, here...

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write...gler-36l-pentastar-engine-oil-change-write-up

I used 6 quarts of 5w30 Mobil 1 synthetic oil, and an STP S10955 filter. I get about 2 lbs., at idle, so the oil light & check engine light came on. I pulled the cap off the filter, and there is oil at the filter. I took a spin around the neighborhood, and the highest it went was 15 lbs. The oil pressure light comes on at 12 lbs.

Never changed oil in a JK, but I've changed it many times in other vehicles, myself, and have never had this happen.

Not trying to insult you but is your drain plug all the way in? Also, did you do say 5qts let it settle and check to see how much it needed, then add up to the 6 total qts.

notnalc68

I put 6 quarts in. It's on the dipstick, there's oil on the filter, & the drain plug is installed properly. I switched the new o-ring, back to the old one, after the pressure was low, at first, to see if that would do it. Still 2 psi.

Kilroy

What filter did you use?

Sorry did not see STP S10955

May be the filter I would check or replace the filter.

Last edited:

JeepJeep75

If you can't get the pressure up please, STOP driving it around! Filters are cheap, try a different one. If you still can't get the pressure up have it towed to the dealer. I'd hate to hear that the engine gets toasted due to running it with no pressure.

Kilroy

If you can't get the pressure up please, STOP driving it around! Filters are cheap, try a different one. If you still can't get the pressure up have it towed to the dealer. I'd hate to hear that the engine gets toasted due to running it with no pressure.

Agreed you should see 40 to 50 psi when you start it

Tree Frog

So if I am reading this wrong please excuse me and listen to the pros.

Your profile lists your rig as a 2014 yet you state you used the STP S10955 filter.

The correct filter for the 3.6 in 2012 2013 looked like this
images.jpg

The correct filter in 2014 changed over to look like this

images (1).jpg

See the tripod looking thing at the top?

IF you used the wrong filter this would explain your problem.

(heres hoping I am right and its not something more serious)

notnalc68

notnalc68

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1465609455.212601.jpg

Problem solved. Wrong oil filter. They changed in 2014. I looked on the wrong line in the book, and because it was also listed in the write up, I picked the wrong one.

notnalc68

So if I am reading this wrong please excuse me and listen to the pros.

Your profile lists your rig as a 2014 yet you state you used the STP S10955 filter.

The correct filter for the 3.6 in 2012 2013 looked like this
View attachment 207674

The correct filter in 2014 changed over to look like this

View attachment 207675

See the tripod looking thing at the top?

IF you used the wrong filter this would explain your problem.

(heres hoping I am right and its not something more serious)

Just saw your post. Thx. I found that out at Autozone, a few minutes ago. Looked on the wrong line in the book.

Tree Frog

Well the good news is that you figured it out. The synthetic oil will provide some protection to damage but not much. The rotating assembly on the crank should be fine as it was in an oil bath.

Good catch on noticing their was no oil pressure. A lot of times I get done with the oil change and start it up, then look all over with a flashlight looking for leaks from the drain plug and leaks around the filter housing. Never getting in and looking at the gauges or warning lights.
I let it warm up for a few minutes then shut it down and wait a while to check the stick.

This was IMHO another stupid thing Jeep did along with the different coolants. Just too easy for someone to make mistakes. Even the mech.'s at the dealerships have made that mistake.

Also watch that filter housing as I have read of it being easy to crack and leak if O-ring not installed right.

notnalc68

Well the good news is that you figured it out. The synthetic oil will provide some protection to damage but not much. The rotating assembly on the crank should be fine as it was in an oil bath.

Good catch on noticing their was no oil pressure. A lot of times I get done with the oil change and start it up, then look all over with a flashlight looking for leaks from the drain plug and leaks around the filter housing. Never getting in and looking at the gauges or warning lights.
I let it warm up for a few minutes then shut it down and wait a while to check the stick.

This was IMHO another stupid thing Jeep did along with the different coolants. Just too easy for someone to make mistakes. Even the mech.'s at the dealerships have made that mistake.

Also watch that filter housing as I have read of it being easy to crack and leak if O-ring not installed right.

Thx for the help. I was gentle with that plastic filter housing. Check engine light stayed on with a P06dd code, but I disconnected the battery & it went off. PSI is 38.

Last edited:

Modit

The rotating assembly on the crank should be fine as it was in an oil bath.

I know this doesn't help the OP but this ^^ is not correct. The main and rod bearings are not in an "oil bath" and any load on the engine without oil pressure can cause serious damage to the bearings/journals very quickly.
Just posting this so nobody reads this and thinks its OK to go down their driveway and back without oil pressure.

JoeB-JKURX

X3 on the filter. They did change in 2014 and use the same filter in the 15 and 16. Don't feel too bad about putting the wrong filter in as there are many documented instances where the dealer technicians put 2013 filters in the 2014s. I bought a dozen K&N high flow filters from Summit Racing for $9 each (free shipping if you buy over $100 worth of parts from Summit. I see they're even cheaper now from Parts Geek ($6.76 each - plus $7.95 for shipping almost any quantity)

Top Bottom