How did you choose

Helipilot2

Hey guys. I currently have a 75 CJ5 with a 304 that I have converted to TBI. I have a 14 bolt sitting in the shop waiting to go in with 4 link and then just looking for a dana 60 to 3 link the front and stretch the whole rig, it will then be running on 40s. I love the jeep but hate the fact I will have to trailer the jeep everywhere once it is done. I am either getting ready to buy a truck so I can start towing it places OR going to sell the CJ take my losses, lick my wounds, and go buy a JKU. How did you guys know that the JKU was the way to go and what advice would you offer? If I go the JKU route it will be getting dynatrac 60s and 40s down there road but will atleast be streetable and will be able to take it on trips like JK Adventure and such.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
While I don't think you should cut into it won't the stretched CJ be driveable on the street?

Helipilot2

While I don't think you should cut into it won't the stretched CJ be driveable on the street?
I don't imagine it would have the best road manners but this will be my first built rig. It will be running the tons, 40s, and hydraulic steering, linked front and rear. I am putting a spool in the rear with 5:13 gears. You think this thing would run down the road fine with some nice mud flaps to cover the tires?

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I've had CJs and 2 door JK before. I ended up converting over to the JKU for several personal reasons. One of the reasons was that I wanted more room, both for family and for gear when camping. I also liked that the wheelbase offered a smoother overall ride, as it is my daily driver. The wheelbase also offers advantages on steep inclines and declines, but at the cost of break over angle. On 40s, I'm pretty sure that won't be an issue lol. While I sometimes miss the compactness of my old CJ and 2 door JK, the JKU was a better fit for me overall.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I'm sure that if you built it right you could make it street worthy. I wish I could tell you how to do that but I'm still learning in that regard.

p38

Caught the Bug
Here's my rig - 1953 M38A1, stretched 17". Running 350 with TBI. 44 front, 60 rear. PSC power assist stearing (I don't know if pure hyd is street legal) SM420 - Atlas Xfer case. It drives great - off road and on.
IMG_2403.jpg

Frame is custom built 2 X 4 square tube. I don't know how much more you would want to stretch, like I said this length handles well.

Peak

As long as you build it correctly, don't cut corners, and use quality parts it will handle fine on and off road. My uncle has a built cj7 on tons and 37's. Keeps right up with me at 80mph on the highway with no issues.

Undertheradar

Caught the Bug
For me the extra width and wheel base was what I wanted. Owned plenty of older Jeeps in the past and had also stretched a TJ before going for the JKUR. Great wheelbase, great width for off camber situations, factory lockers and 4:1 t-case meant there was little I needed to add to hit the trails. Lot's less to go wrong when everything isn't custom made.

Knowing what you will be using the Jeep for will help you decide on how much you need to invest in it. For me I want to run the Rubicon and then drive it to a restaurant, for a meal, and then home. Trailering decreases the amount of places you can go unless you plan on running the trails out and back.

BdugJK

Here's my rig - 1953 M38A1, stretched 17". Running 350 with TBI. 44 front, 60 rear. PSC power assist stearing (I don't know if pure hyd is street legal) SM420 - Atlas Xfer case. It drives great - off road and on.
View attachment 207865

Frame is custom built 2 X 4 square tube. I don't know how much more you would want to stretch, like I said this length handles well.

I knew I saw this CJ on here. Glad you spoke up. I have a JKU but hopefully will get to build a CJ one day! Nice rig.

Helipilot2

View attachment 207865

First off that is a very beautiful jeep, well done. I don't think I will be able to get 17in of stretch considering I am not using 2 bodies and piecing them together. I would imagine (just a guess) I would be able to get about 12 inch's of stretch when I put the links in with new axles. Planned on just keeping my T18 and Dana 20, from what I have read they are both plenty strong to handle what I am doing. Thank you for the input, what size tires are you running?

Helipilot2

For me the extra width and wheel base was what I wanted. Owned plenty of older Jeeps in the past and had also stretched a TJ before going for the JKUR. Great wheelbase, great width for off camber situations, factory lockers and 4:1 t-case meant there was little I needed to add to hit the trails. Lot's less to go wrong when everything isn't custom made.

Knowing what you will be using the Jeep for will help you decide on how much you need to invest in it. For me I want to run the Rubicon and then drive it to a restaurant, for a meal, and then home. Trailering decreases the amount of places you can go unless you plan on running the trails out and back.

I think that is my biggest concern is the trailering portion, just a lot more hassle there and it does limit what you can do since you can't really just leave your truck and trailer sitting somewhere for days on end lol. Sounds like some of the guys think I could make it have good road manner tho.

Helipilot2

As long as you build it correctly, don't cut corners, and use quality parts it will handle fine on and off road. My uncle has a built cj7 on tons and 37's. Keeps right up with me at 80mph on the highway with no issues.

Hey thanks for the input, that's good to hear. I don't plan on cutting any corners, my dad always taught me if you are going to spend money on something spend the extra money and do it right the first time. Planned on buying the 4 link and 3 link kit along with the truss from Artec. Going to break the bank account on this adventure, luckily the girlfriend likes the jeep as much as I do :cheesy: lol

Judesign

Caught the Bug
View attachment 207865

Amazing. Definitely on my bucket list of builds.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
While I love the capability and handling of the JKU, a well done CJ5 is my dream Jeep. Anyone can go down to the dealer and strap themselves with payments to get a trail capable jeep. Yours would stand out in the crowd. if done correctly can be very well mannered on road as well. My vote would be keep your project.

Helipilot2

While I love the capability and handling of the JKU, a well done CJ5 is my dream Jeep. Anyone can go down to the dealer and strap themselves with payments to get a trail capable jeep. Yours would stand out in the crowd. if done correctly can be very well mannered on road as well. My vote would be keep your project.

Ive always been a firm believe in built not bought and I do like the uniqueness the CJ has at all the jeep meets out here. Thanks for the input. CJ also has some sentimental value which makes it harder to sell. I am 3rd owner, Uncle had it for 18 years prior.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Thanks for the input. CJ also has some sentimental value which makes it harder to sell. I am 3rd owner, Uncle had it for 18 years prior.

That to me would be reason enough not to cut into it. Why not keep it, as is, and maintain it to pass down to someone else in your family?

Grubbicon

Personally Id do the CJ. That CJ done right will go way better offroad then a JKU will. I have a JKU and a CJ7 that has been back half and buggied out. As far as trailers go my stuff always goes on a trailer because I have a hard time wheeling so I can make it home. My right foot usually gets ahead of me.

Helipilot2

Personally Id do the CJ. That CJ done right will go way better offroad then a JKU will. I have a JKU and a CJ7 that has been back half and buggied out. As far as trailers go my stuff always goes on a trailer because I have a hard time wheeling so I can make it home. My right foot usually gets ahead of me.

You have any pictures you can post of the CJ7?

Top Bottom