Steering stabilizer upgrade

Rubicrush

Ok I know there are probably a few threads similar, but I need some help. My jku is now lifted, 3.5 suspension, 1.25 body, and 35's. Want to upgrade steering stabilizer and I know there are some serious strong feelings about this topic lol. I personally have been debating the fox ats 2.0, the bilstein dual stabilizer, and the fox dual stabilizer. I've also been debating the whole dual theory all together. I know some people say upgrade, some say don't, some say hydro assist, and I'm sure the list goes on. I basically am wondering if any of the three options I'm considering are worth it. And also is hydro assist a lot more expensive?

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Ok I know there are probably a few threads similar, but I need some help. My jku is now lifted, 3.5 suspension, 1.25 body, and 35's. Want to upgrade steering stabilizer and I know there are some serious strong feelings about this topic lol. I personally have been debating the fox ats 2.0, the bilstein dual stabilizer, and the fox dual stabilizer. I've also been debating the whole dual theory all together. I know some people say upgrade, some say don't, some say hydro assist, and I'm sure the list goes on. I basically am wondering if any of the three options I'm considering are worth it. And also is hydro assist a lot more expensive?

Hydro assist done right will run about $2k. I just upgraded my steering stabilizer to an undamaged stock one. :yep:

Sullivan

I don't even run a steering stabilizer. JKU with 3.5" Rock Krawler lift, 37's and antirock front and rear. Mine drives fine. Fox 2.0 cause a heavy push to the right. I'll run none until I do hydro. Which may be real soon

Rubicrush

SS reply

What is your reasoning for wanting one?

Well mainly I figured it would be beneficial. Stock one seems to do the trick, but occasionally I'll come upon a pretty bumpy road in which I notice a very slight bump steer. Also was hoping that a quality stabilizer may prolong the life of the ball joints etc. Do you think that holds any truth?

aldaman

....Like what the others mentioned. The stock works just as fine as long as it's not damaged and your steering/suspension are dialed in. Hydro assist if you have 37" or larger tires. As for the other aftermarket steering stabilizers they would come into play if you merely want it for looks and don't mind spending the money for it....:beer:

Evil

I have the fox ats and it does'nt do a damn thing except look cool. I didn't need it before I installed it but put it on because I had already ordered it. Save your money.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Well mainly I figured it would be beneficial. Stock one seems to do the trick, but occasionally I'll come upon a pretty bumpy road in which I notice a very slight bump steer. Also was hoping that a quality stabilizer may prolong the life of the ball joints etc. Do you think that holds any truth?

Bump steer is caused by steering geometry. Fix that first. What size lift and any drag link flip installed?

Sullivan

A steering stabilizer won't prolong the life of ball joints. All it will actually do is hide (or soften) problems in the steering. It just absorbs some steering feeling for you.
Bump steer needs to be corrected either way. Dont mask the problems.
So basically, save your money and dial in your steering. You will thank us all later. I'm sure we all have nice new stabilizers sitting on the shelf because we didn't know any better. I know I do.

Hammmerhead

The ATS actually helped take some of the hunt out of my 40 x 15.50's on troughed out black top roads. I don't like the price of it, but with 12 inch wide rims and wheel spacers, it tamed it a good bit.

Rubicrush

The ATS actually helped take some of the hunt out of my 40 x 15.50's on troughed out black top roads. I don't like the price of it, but with 12 inch wide rims and wheel spacers, it tamed it a good bit.

I'm having a real hard time figuring out what to do lol. A lot of people say don't bother. I feel like my steering geometry is right on the money and that the factory stabilizer can only handle so much. Some people say they have it so dialed in they don't even use one. I just have trouble considering that because the factory engineers put one on so they must be good for something right? But I agree with everyone if the steering is dialed in why spend a ton of money. I feel like even if steering is perfect a little bit of bumpsteer will happen with large tires. Hence why I want to at least upgrade. Lol there has to be some happy medium to this dilema. Oh well I'm gonna take a little more time to think about it and maybe throw in some synergy hd ball joints first as an investment in preventing oem ball joint failure.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
I think you're confusing bump steer with steering feedback. Bump steer has nothing to do with hitting bumps and everything to do with the movement of the draglink relative to the track bar when the suspension cycles.

This is what fucked up the guy that thought saying lateral shock over and over would make it sound like he knew what he was talking about

WJCO

Meme King
I'm having a real hard time figuring out what to do lol. A lot of people say don't bother. I feel like my steering geometry is right on the money and that the factory stabilizer can only handle so much. Some people say they have it so dialed in they don't even use one. I just have trouble considering that because the factory engineers put one on so they must be good for something right? But I agree with everyone if the steering is dialed in why spend a ton of money. I feel like even if steering is perfect a little bit of bumpsteer will happen with large tires. Hence why I want to at least upgrade. Lol there has to be some happy medium to this dilema. Oh well I'm gonna take a little more time to think about it and maybe throw in some synergy hd ball joints first as an investment in preventing oem ball joint failure.

I would wait until a ball joint actually fails before replacing. Why go through the time or money.

WJCO

Meme King
If there's nothing wrong with your steering, don't buy a stabilizer. Makes no sense to spend that unnecessary money. Trust me, I did, and it wasn't needed for a DW concern.

As far as geometry, I'm in the process right now of working on an issue with mine. Every bump I hit with either front tire, I get a quick sideways jar of the steering wheel. Been there since I put my lift on years ago. Someone recently recommended to me to do this string test to check geometry. It seems on the money to me. Note the strings are parallel, if you have this going on, you're good there. Don't waste the money on a part you don't need. I'm still working on finding out what my issue is though.

DSC03753.jpg

DSC03754.jpg

DSC03755.jpg

DSC03756.jpg

Top Bottom