Trolley-style Floor Jacks - Recommendations, What Do You Use?

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
Here's a topic: Floor jacks.
Need to replace my ~15 year old economy jack. Heavy steel thing, not particularly rigid, but did the job. Finally wore it about out. It was already on 'the list' because at 5-3/4" lowered, and 20" max lift, it is now both too tall (1/8") to get under my wife's car and too short to lift the Jeep adequately.

I've started shopping around for new jacks. A dual-piston, quality lift, reaching at least ~23" would be ideal. Seems a 'good' jack, is in the $500-800 range. That pulls you out of Walmart or car parts grade offerings, while keeping you shy of the $1500+ auto-shop arena. Since nobody seems to stock anything but el-cheapo versions, I'd like to get opinions before ordering online.

So: What jack do -you- use with your Jeep? Brand, model, URL? Good/bad, shipping costs?

(an aside, I've seen companies with $30 shipping costs for a 90lb jack, to some selling a $350 jack wanting $287 for shipping. Go figure)

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I bought a 3 ton floor jack from Napa that came with free jack stands at the time. So far it has worked well for the jeep. I think the jack will work fine if I get any taller but I will need some taller jack stands. Probably going to get a set of the 12 ton jack stands from Harbor Freight, they are a lot taller. It was $300 and something if I remember right.

Speeddmn

I have a 2.5 ton aluminum craftsman that has worked for me. Had it for 10 or more years and not a hicup. Don't remember paying more then a few hundred at the time. Im sure it is due for a service. As for your current jack, I had the same issue with my mustangs. I built a long wooden ramp I could drive one tire onto and would then allow me to use the jack inder the front k member. As for the jeep I raise it by the center sections and use Jack stands. So far I havent needed anything else.

Either direction you go, you always get what you pay for. From quality parts to customer service/warranty.

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
I too have a 2.5 ton Craftsman aluminum floor jack. I have never had a problem in the almost ten years I have owned it. It's light enough that I brought it with me on my recent journey out west.

Robertcrav

Check out the Pro-Eagle, will work on hard surface and out in the dirt, not to mention its adjustable
http://proeagle-products.com/products/aluminum-floor-jack-00000

MG_2565-1024x683_2864cc51-f7ca-4b6f-a545-f54d7d6571e0_1024x1024.jpeg

MG_2602-683x1024_39376fb4-2675-443e-8fdf-f4a4d451b089_1024x1024.jpeg

MG_2638-1024x683_3d590873-9544-48af-88c5-601c085c3c5c_1024x1024.jpeg

zimm

Caught the Bug
I have an old steel sears 2.5 ton. Hate it. I'd get the newer aluminum ones and having a speed handle is helpful since on the jeep you have a lot of empty space before the jack makes contact with anything.

I have a HF aluminum 1.5 ton which was like $69. It's great for light weight stuff like moving an axle or lifting a shock in place. Sucks to lift a car with- it hits load limit almost immediately and the lift height is limited as well.

JeepDrum

http://www.harborfreight.com/automo...vy-duty-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-68050.html This is the style jack I use, and love. I have had multiple alum versions from craftsman and they were all junk and never held up. This jack lives outside most of the year and I have never had an issue with it. I use it for the jeep and lowered cars and it fits very well.

I have the same one. I only use it once every couple months so it hasn't seen a lot of abuse, but I like it. I used it to switch out my suspension last fall and the lift height of the jack was a big help. I also like that it has a dial to control the vehicle when letting it down.

Petzl88

I bought a little harbor freight aluminum one a year ago and it is already broke. I should have just paid a little more at the time.

The harbor freight low profile steel one looks a lot better than the rickety rack piece of crap that I bought. Lesson learned for me.

Top Bottom