Drivetrain/regear question

So in the next month or so, i plan on having a rear locker installed, as well as regearing the rear. I also plan on installing a new front axle, already locked and geared the way itll need to be. Question is, if the rear is being done at a shop, and the fronts being done at my house, whats the best way to make the jeep driveable from point a to point b?

Can i just pull the front driveshaft? Or no....sry, im no drivetrain expert.

Last edited:

Exodus 4x4

So in the next month or so, i plan on having a rear locker installed, as well as regearing the rear. I also plan on installing a new front axle, already locked and geared the way itll need to be. Question is, if the rear is being done at a shop, and the fronts being done at my house, whats the best way to make the jeep driveable from point a to point b?

Can i just pull the front driveshaft? Or no....sry, im no drivetrain expert.

Yes.......

Drdiesel1

As long as you do not engage the 4X4/transfer case, you won't need to pull the driveshaft.
Just leave it in 2WD and you can drive it to the shop with no problems :beer:

thardy

Banned
As long as you do not engage the 4X4/transfer case, you won't need to pull the driveshaft.

I'm not sure this is accurate. If the front and rear are not geared the same, I would imagine that something would go wrong. Just doesn't seem safe.

I'm not sure this is accurate. If the front and rear are not geared the same, I would imagine that something would go wrong. Just doesn't seem safe.
I was curious about this method as well. I dont know enough about the tcase mechanism to tell if that would bind it up or not.

Drdiesel1

As long as the transfer case isn't engaged (4x4 mode) to lock the axles together, it's not a problem.
I wouldn't drive it like this for a long time due to different speed inputs, but to get to the shop it will not bother it.

Last edited:

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug

Shit like this is why we keep telling you to take your sliders and piss off!

If you drive highway speeds in 2hi with different front and rear ratios there will be a huge speed difference between the gears in the transfer case that WILL result in high wear. They are only designed to experience small speed differences when turning or for short periods, ie rear wheels spinning fronts stationary.

OP Pull the front driveshaft and your good to go.

Drdiesel1

Shit like this is why we keep telling you to take your sliders and piss off!

If you drive highway speeds in 2hi with different front and rear ratios there will be a huge speed difference between the gears in the transfer case that WILL result in high wear. They are only designed to experience small speed differences when turning or for short periods, ie rear wheels spinning fronts stationary.

OP Pull the front driveshaft and your good to go.

Piss up a rope, PAL! Driving is for a short distance won't bother it. Now STFU and piss-off! You don't know SHIT :doh:

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Piss up a rope, PAL! Driving is for a short distance won't bother it. Now STFU and piss-off! You don't know SHIT :doh:

Really? Isn't funny how you keep editing your posts after being called out on the dumb shit you've said.

I'm not sure why you're still here clearly you're not going to get the gratification your looking for.

Drdiesel1

Really? Isn't funny how you keep editing your posts after being called out on the dumb shit you've said.

I'm not sure why you're still here clearly you're not going to get the gratification your looking for.

I'm here because it's a jeep form. The majority of people here are good people and don't act like the few assholes
that can't stop themselves from being total idiot's and this include you. You and about 5 or 6 others, just can't
STFU about my self made sliders. Nobody needs to here you whinny fucks every time I make a post. You ass lickers
seem to enjoy fucking up every fucking thread with the same old tired shit. Pound sand, asswipe!

You and your little band of asslickers aren't gonna force me to go away with this stupid shit behavior. Get use to it
and stop fucking up useful threads with this bullshit.
If you guys need to asspack someone so bad, do it to each other. I'm sure you can start a thread and fuck away :doh:

Oh yeah! I edit my posts because I changed something in it, you fucking idiot.

Last edited:

Exodus 4x4

I'm here because it's a jeep form. The majority of people here are good people and don't act like the few assholes
that can't stop themselves from being total idiot's and this include you. You and about 5 or 6 others, just can't
STFU about my self made sliders. Nobody needs to here you whinny fucks every time I make a post. You ass lickers
seem to enjoy fucking up every fucking thread with the same old tired shit. Pound sand, asswipe!

You and your little band of asslickers aren't gonna force me to go away with this stupid shit behavior. Get use to it
If you guys need to asspack someone so bad, do it to each other. I'm sure you can start a thread and fuck away :doh:

Nice job trying to share your stupid fucking advice. Good thing there's people here looking out to make sure nobody listens to it.

Oh and yeah, I'll keep reminding everyone you're the dickhead that ran his mouth about making better sliders than EVO.

USMC Wrangler

OP...If I were in your shoes I would pull the front driveshaft. Although not exactly the same situation, the Owners Manual mentions not towing your Jeep with a car dolly and the possibility of t-case/transmission damage. I imagine having different gears front to back would be similar to "two wheel towing".

From my 2013 Owners Manual...

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1465767331.194745.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1465767344.820952.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1465767361.209419.jpg

WJCO

Meme King

You're just being an asshole now, GTFO.

Drdiesel1

Nice job trying to share your stupid fucking advice. Good thing there's people here looking out to make sure nobody listens to it.

Oh and yeah, I'll keep reminding everyone you're the dickhead that ran his mouth about making better sliders than EVO.

#2 asslicker has chimed in :doh:

thardy

Banned

It's post like this that make people that might actually have decent knowledge about a certain topic completely irrelevant. You need to find a word other than fuck and ass licker.

Top Bottom