Tool brands

rogerk93

I'm looking into building and getting my tools in order. I pretty much have all the basics but have to get to my dad's tools to finish any work I have to do on my Jeep. He has spent over 50k on tools and has the top brands as he has his own garage and I don't plan on spending anything near that. But with whats out there and affordable what are some good brands I should buy from? I have a bunch of craftsman stuff already and don't know if there is any other brands I should buy from.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Craftsman is no longer made in USA, so I've been buying Kobalt from Lowe's. They seem well made. I'm really glad I bought a set of 1/2" drive from there.

notnalc68

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1465780427.384614.jpg

I've also bought some random specialty wrenches from Amazon, to change my transfer case.

scull20

I've got a handful of different brands of stuff. I don't mind spending more on stuff that will be used more often. Beyond that, I'm just a driveway mechanic that will be using most tools infrequently. I've got a 100+ piece craftsman mechanics toolset that's gotten the most use over the years. I've broken the ratchet a handful of times and gotten it replaced for free at Sears. I've had no problems with Tekton hand tools from Amazon lately as well. Their impact sockets, wrenches and screwdrivers do exactly what they're supposed to do. Beyond that, I like Milwaukee powered tools and also have a few from Craftsman and Chicago Electric from Harbor Freight.

Buy what suites your fancy and what you can afford.

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
Same here, I've been migrating to Lowe's Kobalt brand. I've a mix of Craftsman, Husky, Snap-On, S&K accumulated over the years. Decided over the next year I'm going to completely refresh the tool drawer. Life's a lot easier with one brand, whatever it is, and you know right where to look to see what size something is, or the like.

Kobalt caught my eye ~3 years ago. It might be 'nice' to have a full set of Snap-On or S&K, but I cannot say I've felt the least bit disappointed with Kobalt. Seems like really good bang for the buck. Certainly true for all the core tools. Specialty stuff you'll still need to look elsewhere it seems.

WJCO

Meme King
My tools range from Harbor Freight through Snap-On. Even some random auto parts store stuff. Depends on what the tool is for. I'll be more likely to spend money on certain tools as opposed to others depending on what I'll use them for. I've had good luck with HF sockets, but not their wrenches.

Invest in something you'll keep forever and won't ever have to worry about.
If you are going to buy a single company's hardline list of tools I'd look no further than Snap On.

After my snappy fanboy response is out of the way....

Carlyle is good stuff. And easy to find or return if something breaks at your local Napa.

Williams. Another good one. (Owned by Snap On) some say it's just rebranded snap on with a way better price tag.

S-K. Used to be known for great stuff. They went down hill, filed for bankruptcy and some big guys bought the brand. They are back to making good stuff. I have a torx bit set that I like.

Stay away from harbor freight. I don't care what people say on the internet about their sockets and wrenches. They are shit.

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
If you're not buying off a tool truck you're probably going to find yourself with a mix of different brands. There's actually a lot of middle of the road brands that you don't see to often that are a good bet. Be Careful finding made in the USA is becoming harder than ever as a lot of the high priced tools are no longer made here. Buy nice ratchets and wrenches. And tools you will use a lot or are specialty. Everything else you can save a lot of money on and be just fine. HF is junk as mentioned but for that one weird thing you use once a year it may be worth it to look. Spend time holding and playing with tools when you're shopping.

whispike

Craftsman is no longer made in USA, so I've been buying Kobalt from Lowe's. They seem well made. I'm really glad I bought a set of 1/2" drive from there.

Not completely true. Craftsman's Industrial line of tools is still made in the USA. These are what I buy now.

JeepJeep75

I just bought a CDI inch-pound dial type torque wrench. It's an industrial brand owned by Snap-On. Feels good in my hand (snicker), and has a nice solid feel. Tried it out on a few random things in my garage today. Seems like it'll last awhile.

rogerk93

Thanks for the input Most of my tools are craftsman and they are not the best. I'll look into kobalt I havent seen them around..I'm slowly going to invest in snap-on but budget is a little tight right now.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
I buy Snap-On but also get a discount of up to 50% off. Usually get anywhere from 30-50% off through my employer.

notnalc68

Not completely true. Craftsman's Industrial line of tools is still made in the USA. These are what I buy now.

Maybe so, but it is likely, if the OP goes to Sears, he won't find a wrench in the store that is made in the USA.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
As a mechanic by trade I buy Snap-On. Best hand tools you can get hands down, BUT.... I would never suggest that a hobbyist go out and stock up on them. The price would not be worth it in your case. I'm sure you have a list of things you could invest in for the Jeep instead. Lowes (cobalt) and I believe Home Depot (husky) both have lifetime warranty, a good price, and are more than capable of the occasional jobs you will use them on. Gear wrench brand wrenches are good quality as well. Your local Napa should have a good selection of the gear wrench stuff.

Judesign

Caught the Bug
I drool over the snap on catalog. Maybe some torque wrenches at some point. Good point about the gear wrench brand. Had great luck with there ratcheting wrenches.

Top Bottom