How difficult is it to regear and lock an axle????

Jeeper125

I will be getting a front Dana 44 soon and I'm looking to regear my jeep and add lockers I was thinking if I could just have the shop do the rear and I would do the front while it's off the jeep to save some money, I am a little scared that I would f*** something up, how hard is it??? I installed my lift on my own but I'm guessing regearing is a lot harder. any info would be great!

benatc1

Hooked
I will be getting a front Dana 44 soon and I'm looking to regear my jeep and add lockers I was thinking if I could just have the shop do the rear and I would do the front while it's off the jeep to save some money, I am a little scared that I would f*** something up, how hard is it??? I installed my lift on my own but I'm guessing regearing is a lot harder. any info would be great!

I can do a lot when it comes to my Jeep but setting up a differential is a whole different animal, you have to be very specific with everything involved. At first I thought i could figure it out but then decided that wasn't going to be good enough, as the result of it being off a tad is usually complete failure. I put my pride aside with this one and paid to have it done, this way if it was incorrect at least they pay to fix it and get it right. Dont take this the wrong way but if this is something you have to ask about how to or how hard it is then it is probably out of your scope. I suppose though if its off your jeep and your taking your time with the build and have proper guidance you might be ok

WJCO

Meme King
It requires specialty tools and a press. It's time consuming as well. I have the skills to do it and I don't even do it anymore. My restrictions are more time-related and I sold all of those tools years ago. Youtube will have a lot of videos so you can see what is involved and if you want to tackle it or not.

austin160

I have done it before in a weekend( a long weekend). It isn't something to try if you haven't done it before, and are not very mechanical inclined. If you have a spare axle and not in a rush get someone to show you and take your time. If there is any sort of time constraints pay someone. The math and measurements can be very confusing.

Top Bottom