Backup camera - dealer won't flash headunit

rboyd1780

Been a member for a while, first post. This site has been a hell of a resource especially since this is my first Wrangler.

Now to my issue. I've tried 2 dealerships in the Central Florida area who are unable, or unwilling to flash my factory head unit with the "XAC" code to enable the backup camera. Has anyone experienced this or does anyone have any suggestions? I've given them links to this site (as well as others) and also YouTube videos on guys who have be successful. They said Chrysler advised not to even try since it won't work with my 2015.

-Ryan

JeepJeep75

Hey rboyd1780. Do you have a manual '15? I looked at your profile buts it's pretty lacking. I have a 15 manual and did a bunch of online hunting to see which method to use. Something changed on the '15 and newer jeeps as far as encrypting in the computer. I called Lockpick and they said a '15 manual was no bueno. I eventually found and tried NavTool. The camera portion works, but none of the other cool functions work. It's all plug and play, no splicing wires of any sort. Hope this helps, good luck!

sipafz

Caught the Bug
I talked to my dealer last year when I was looking to add a camera to my KK. They wanted $120 to re-flash and wouldn't guaranty anything. Also, if the flash F'ed up anything else, it would be time & material to fix. I decided not to bother.

zimm

Caught the Bug
I had my 2015 flashed and my dads 2012 too. $150.

Tell them to flash for the parkview back up camera, which is a factory add on for other jeeps. Works like a champ.

rboyd1780

Mine's an automatic. Was really just looking to add this on the cheap just to help me see behind the Jeep. More of a peace of mind thing with kids in the neighborhood. I've looked at the lockpick before I went this route. For the price of that I will probably just bite the bullet and change out the entire head unit to something that has nav, apple car play, android audio since this the my daily driver. It will be more expensive but I will have all sorts of things to play with then.

I would think that a dealer would already offer a backup camera option. They already add all sorts of crap on to vehicles as "dealer installed options" you would think that they would offer this and mark it up 1000% since there is no factory option on the Wrangler.

I'll try a couple more dealers first before exploring after market options.

Thanks guys

SilverBack

I know it's old thread but I want to warn people about lockpick

do not use lockpick they are poorly made and don't last more than 1 month. I put my lockpick in the garbage, I'm now using navtool from www.navtool.com and its works like a clock

Welcome to Wayalife. Sorry you had bad luck and feel the need to piss in someone else's cheerios instead of simply making a recommendation.

Oh and mine has been working flawlessly for more than 2 1/2 year so I think I'll not throw it in the trash. Best of luck with your new solution.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

aermotor

Had a lockpick that worked for years, btw.

I'm also surprised the dealer won't take the OPs money and flash his unit. Although most dealers don't have a clue what they are doing, so there is that. I had to tell the one here in LA what the code was and how to do it.

The dealer flashed my '13 JKUR manual with XAC a few months ago. They didn't give me any trouble, although they weren't convinced it would work. They said "Okay, we'll try it but no guarantees...".

After it worked they said "hey that's really cool - we haven't seen anyone do that before."

I was surprised that they were surprised. But hey, kudos for doing what I asked anyway.

Same as above, it was $120. Works great. Sorry you didn't have the same experience.

Sent from my SM-G930P using WAYALIFE mobile app

bknelson62

I too have a 2015 JKU and I took mine to the dealer and at first they didn't know what I was talking about. Once I convinced them that the XAC code would work, they took it back to the shop and said they would try... also with the same disclaimer "that it might not work". 15 minutes later, they brought it out to me and IT WORKS!!!! They charged me 1/2 hour of shop time, $67.50.

Top Bottom