Trail Options around Gatlinburg

Deez2014JK

Heading up to TN this coming weekend, we have a cabin for a few days in Gatlinburg and then heading over to western NC. Looking for suggestions on good moderate trails in the area.

RebelconJk

As swampdog said Windrock would be the closest option for you. There is also Parsons Branch, and Rich MTN Road off Cades Cove area. These are not trails per say, there more like gravel roads through the woods with a few very shallow creek crossings. Nice little drive through the woods. Hope That helps.

Last edited:
As swampdog said Windrock would be the closest option for you. There is also Parsons Branch, and Rich MTN Road off Cades Cove area. These are not trails per say, there more live gravel roads through the woods with a few very shallow creek crossings. Nice little drive through the woods. Hope That helps.

The Park Service definition of primitive road is a unique one. I've seen Cadillacs do them

Red Knight15

Caught the Bug
As swampdog said Windrock would be the closest option for you. There is also Parsons Branch, and Rich MTN Road off Cades Cove area. These are not trails per say, there more live gravel roads through the woods with a few very shallow creek crossings. Nice little drive through the woods. Hope That helps.

Parsons branch and Rich mtn road are both good rides, you won't be needing 4 wheel drive by no means. I don't know where it is, but Norris watershed is somewhere close. There is a little Jeep shop in Townsend that may can point you in the right direction.

RebelconJk

The Park Service definition of primitive road is a unique one. I've seen Cadillacs do them

Yeah, they are not trails like i said, they are gravel roads through the woods. Regardless it's a pretty drive through the smoky mtns. I live super close to cades cove area. Have you been on either of these roads before?

RebelconJk

Parsons branch and Rich mtn road are both good rides, you won't be needing 4 wheel drive by no means. I don't know where it is, but Norris watershed is somewhere close. There is a little Jeep shop in Townsend that may can point you in the right direction.

Ha! I live in Townsend, yeah def check out the little shop in town super nice guys. There is always jeeps out front.

Jeep dad

hurricane creek trail nc is over on 40 nice ride most can be done in 2 wheel drive they some youtube video check them out

Red Knight15

Caught the Bug
Ha! I live in Townsend, yeah def check out the little shop in town super nice guys. There is always jeeps out front.

I live about 180 miles from Townsend, we go up there about 3 -4 times year. I've been meaning to make one of their rides but something always comes up.
We also ride motorcycles up there quite often and Ride the Dragon, Cherohalla skyway, etc.

RebelconJk

I live about 180 miles from Townsend, we go up there about 3 -4 times year. I've been meaning to make one of their rides but something always comes up.
We also ride motorcycles up there quite often and Ride the Dragon, Cherohalla skyway, etc.

Nice! Next time you in Townsend you have to check out Burgermaster, great ice cream and burger spot!

Deez2014JK

All good Intel, thx. From easy to moderate we just want to do some trails while in TN, nothing to crazy but still want some challenging rides- still need to drive back home when vaca is done

Yeah, they are not trails like i said, they are gravel roads through the woods. Regardless it's a pretty drive through the smoky mtns. I live super close to cades cove area. Have you been on either of these roads before?

Yeah I love them. My wife and I did the one on the North side out of the Cove on our honeymoon. I just thought the designation was funny. It is a great ride. If it wasn't so far away from us we would do it more often.

All good Intel, thx. From easy to moderate we just want to do some trails while in TN, nothing to crazy but still want some challenging rides- still need to drive back home when vaca is done

Do Winrock and the Forest service roads. They may not be super challenging but nothing beats going through the mountains with the top down, and the scenery is spectacular.

Deez2014JK

So we've done rich MTN road, did the roaring fork loop again, parsons was closed and yesterday we did the off-road in the smokies property in Cosby- that was a lot of fun. We went down one trail and there was a freshly downed tree blocking forward progress... Going backwards up hill was a lot of fun - said no one! Anyway today we are trying to find the trail right off 40 near mile marker 8. Was told its a good trail with some creek crossings

Red Knight15

Caught the Bug
So we've done rich MTN road, did the roaring fork loop again, parsons was closed and yesterday we did the off-road in the smokies property in Cosby- that was a lot of fun. We went down one trail and there was a freshly downed tree blocking forward progress... Going backwards up hill was a lot of fun - said no one! Anyway today we are trying to find the trail right off 40 near mile marker 8. Was told its a good trail with some creek crossings

Keep us updated, I would like to run them sometime.

dchotrod

Easiest thing to do is Google "Hurricane Creek Trailhead". If that doesn't cut it here's some rough directions.

While heading west on 40 around Mile marker 8 you will come out of a left hand turn with a guard rail down the shoulder. At the end of the guard rail is a lighted construction road sign. That's where the trail head is.

Deez2014JK

Hurricane Creek, Great run- we had a blast on that trail. Easy to find and good variety or terrain. Much different than the FL landscape, provided some awesome photos and video. Definitely recommend to others!

Top Bottom